Gold........ish!

OnTheBeach

I'm finding too many gold-ish items!

With most of it I know it's not the real thing right away as the color is a bit off etc. One little ring there tricked me though. It turns out it was gold shell ..... a.k.a gold plated.

I even found a gold colored bobby pin the other day!

I'll just keep at it .............. Congrats to those finding real gold!

gold_ish.jpg

I had a small ring last Sunday that I though for sure was gold. At home, under the jeweler's glasses, no marking and some of the thick plating was pitting off. :(

What really burns is those junk items that are marked as being gold. I found a herringbone necklace that was marked 14k. It would not clean up and failed a 10k acid test. I dropped by a friendly jewelry store and the young lady said that is not gold without even testing It. I was sure that it was junk but I wanted a professional opinion ai wonder how many hundred dollars the person who lost it paid for junk.

I have noticed that pretty much ALL items that look like gold ring up on the Equinox in the gold range.. from fake jewelry all the way to gold colored pull tabs.. it is almost as if my detector can SEE gold color.. what gives :?:

That GP steel is a killer......they even make pull tabs gold.... ugh. Chains..... dont you just hate a honker you drag up only to see not markings that sticks to a magnet.....that will give you the mumbles.

I have noticed that pretty much ALL items that look like gold ring up on the Equinox in the gold range.. from fake jewelry all the way to gold colored pull tabs.. it is almost as if my detector can SEE gold color.. what gives :?:
I went 3/4 of my hunt last week thinking I had a nice little high K gold in the bag only to get home and see the ring unmarked and getting some tiny pits in the plating with my jeweler's glasses. It rang a “12” in the wet sand on Noxy, 1 below the “13” of nickels. :roll:

Attachments

• Fools Gold.jpg
    Fools Gold.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 381
Shame on that little ring as I can imagine it looked good, looks good from here too.

I’m in the same gold-less boat for now, need to navigate to some better seas I do. :pirate: :laughing:

I dub you the gold plated king! :kingdances: I bequeath my crown to thee.

R5

I hope I don't have to change my forum name to GPK - gold plated king.... that's a crown I'll be happy to give up!

As Cfmct mentioned, it is all part of the hobby I know. I'm not really complaining and see it as Vermonster does - jewelry is jewelry and I'll just keep digging them up and better items will come.

If you're finding rings then it's just a matter of time until some of them are gold

Seems over the past couple of years, I've found more plated jewelry than gold. A lot of it looks very nice. but when I take a jewelers file to it and them acid test it it's just pretty but not gold. Keep after it and you'll grab the real deal soon.

Back
Top Bottom