• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Dug WWII Dog Tag to Be Returned

Waterhead

About 13 years ago, I dug two WWII dog tags in Isle of Wight County, Virginia just off the James River. They 2 tags were within a foot of one another and were probably associated. When I tried to rub the dirt off the 1st tag to read it, I handled it a little too hard and broke it into pieces. The second one was handled with care and was carefully brushed off revealing the soldier's name Jesse D. Skoss of Los Angles, CA.

Apparently, the dog tag ended up being put away in a shop drawer in my garage and lost for years. Several days ago, I found the dog tag and decided it had to be researched. Research was conducted by my sister who found the late Mr. Skoss. He was born in 1916 and resided in California. Unfortunately, Mr. Skoss died in 2013. The best part, my sister located his son David Skoss (71) with an associated telephone number. Mr. Skoss is currently residing in Sacramento, CA. I subsequently placed a call to Mr. Skoss which went into a voice mail drawer. I figured I'd never hear anything back. The following night, the phone call rang and it was Mr. Skoss.

After revealing that Jesse Skoss was indeed his father, David was ecstatic when I told him the story of his father's dog tags. David and I talked for about a half an hour and had a great conversation. I advised that his father's dog tag was across the river from the Ft. Eustis Army Base.

In 1941, Fort Eustis was re-activated and became a Coast Artillery Replacement Center. Over 20,000 troops were trained in anti-aircraft artillery during the course of the Second World War.

David confirmed that his father was indeed an Artillery Officer during WWII. Although David as unsure that his father was ever in Virginia, I believe that it was probable that he was trained at Ft. Eustis. Some of the soldiers, to include Jesse Skoss, probably ended up across the river where his set of dog tags were lost.

The dog tag will be mailed back to his son tomorrow morning some 78 years after it was lost.

Attachments

• DSC_0002.jpg
    DSC_0002.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 690
  • jesse_david_skoss_17_medium.jpg
    jesse_david_skoss_17_medium.jpg
    4.6 KB · Views: 632
Awesome!!! And very kind of you to track the original owner down. Dog tags hold special meaning to be sure.

Back
Top Bottom