AT pro noise

CarsonChris

Elite Member
I’ve been getting periodic excessive chatter in the pro zero mode. I will switch over to normal/coin mode and get the bell tone over a target. Switch back to pro mode and then be able to discriminate sound again with more than one target in a small area. Feels like it’s glitching. Any idea what this could be? I’ve tried adjusting sensitivity, ground balancing, and going negative on ground balance.

I have checked my coil connection and I Velcro’d the coil wire to the shaft. I changed batteries last night.

Make sure you have a good ground balance. Being off a little can cause chatter.

You could also start at the far left on the target ID selection and disable one at a time until you find the noise problem. Hopefully it will be just a single frequency range and one notch will eliminate it.

Last edited:
I’ve been getting periodic excessive chatter in the pro zero mode. I will switch over to normal/coin mode and get the bell tone over a target. Switch back to pro mode and then be able to discriminate sound again with more than one target in a small area. Feels like it’s glitching. Any idea what this could be? I’ve tried adjusting sensitivity, ground balancing, and going negative on ground balance.

I have checked my coil connection and I Velcro’d the coil wire to the shaft. I changed batteries last night.

My AT Pro chatter checklist.

1. check connections if I didn't before I started

2. reduce sensitivity one notch or two. Try next step #3 before reducing sensitivity further.

3. Try different frequencies. This has never eliminated strong chatter at full sensitivity, but it sometimes makes it where i can get to one level higher sensitivity on 1 of the frequencies. For example, level 4 sensitivity on frequency 1 while nothing higher than level 3 sensitivity on the other three frequencies. In practical terms the difference is still insignificant.

4. Reduce sensitivity even more. You're not going to miss the typical 2-4 inch coin at 50% or even a bit lower sensitivity, as long as you get your coil over it. The next time you have a clean, solid, coin sized high tone signal stop for a second before you dig and see just how low you can reduce the sensitivity and still get a solid hit. I did this on what turned out to be a silver dime at 4 inches and I still had a solid signal at two bars. With one bar it was still high tone, but clipped. It helped that there was no iron nearby. Still, what matters most for targets under 6 inches is getting your coil over it. Reduced sensitivity can even help when there's iron deeper than a coin.

5. Hard restart. If still getting medium to strong chatter at less than 50% sensitivity then I'll do a hard restart. Hold down the power button for a few seconds until the screen refreshes. You'll lose your settings.

6. Still noisy? Move to a different location to see if it's the detector or EMI.

7. If it's EMI, then deal with it. Go to 1 bar sensitivity and increase it as much as I can and still pick out a good, repeatable signal.

9 If it's the detector and persists, call Garrett.

Last edited:

AT doesn't like power lines at all. I have also found that certain schools in my area the Wi-Fi will cause a lot of chatter. frequency adjustments and tend to help with this.

It doesn’t like street lights either. Seemed fine until they came on last night then started running wild on me. Had to shut it off twice and start again.

Back
Top Bottom