Making a cap go-pro camera mount

digitall

Received a go-pro camera for Xmas. Took the mount in the package that the camera was displayed on, trimmed it down with a scissors to a workable size and zip-tied it to front of a ball cap. That plastic mount is very light, but strong enough to hold the camera secure. Attaching it to the front of the cap distributes the camera weight much better than attaching it to the bill of the cap. Very usable, as you can take your cap off to film other things or to get a close-up of a find. Got this idea from a smart guy on the internet.

Attachments

• hat1.jpg
    hat1.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 493
  • hat2.jpg
    hat2.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 429
Last edited:
Good job. The only thing I'd worry about with it mounted to that non-rigid part of the cap would be the possibility of the camera moving around, tilting too far up or down. Have you tried it yet? Is it pretty stable? I've just been using the one that clips on the bill, which does add noticeable weight to the front of the cap. Not the most comfortable setup but its stable and always pointed in the right place. I might have to try a mount like yours to see how it works out.

Very nice! I would also be worried with headphones and the rim of the cap being in the way at times. Let us know how it works!

I figure the angle might not be right? The bill might obstruct the view. I used the elastic head strap mounts over my toboggan during the winter so I can keep my ears warm. The chest mount doesn’t work because of the breathing and heart beating while moving. Let us know how you do...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You want to have a cap that has a somewhat rigid material in that front area. Also, the plastic mount rests against your forehead so it is pretty stable. Have not used it for detecting yet so will have to see if the cap bill gets in the way.

Attachments

• hat3 (2).jpg
    hat3 (2).jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 422
I figure the angle might not be right? The bill might obstruct the view. I used the elastic head strap mounts over my toboggan during the winter so I can keep my ears warm. The chest mount doesn’t work because of the breathing and heart beating while moving. Let us know how you do...

Awe man, really? I tried the head strap thingy and it didn't work so good. The chest mount was my next try.

lol, using that plastic hard hat with the beer cans is probably the best idea yet! Camera would not wobble with that secure mount but after a few beers your head may wobble a bit.

Looks good but I would worry the cap would keep sliding forward as you lowered your head. I saw one guy (can't remember who ) doin' a Md video, he had it attached to the upper part of his swing arm. It gave a great view of the screen--the coil and the ground. He just slipped it off for close-ups and put it in a small tripod for digs. just an idea. Good luck Mark

Looks good but I would worry the cap would keep sliding forward as you lowered your head. I saw one guy (can't remember who ) doin' a Md video, he had it attached to the upper part of his swing arm. It gave a great view of the screen--the coil and the ground. He just slipped it off for close-ups and put it in a small tripod for digs. just an idea. Good luck Mark

Dirtfishin or Bill_s is one of the guys who does that and showed a video. He uses one of those mechanical arms that has gimbal joints the while way, and a flip of the lever makes it completely flexible.

Sorry for the poor description.

I ordered one of these caps off of Amazon and tried it for the first time yesterday. Same concept as your cap. Works great!

Attachments

• 71a8wT9i9bL._SL1000_.jpg
    71a8wT9i9bL._SL1000_.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 340
Thanks

Dirtfishin or Bill_s is one of the guys who does that and showed a video. He uses one of those mechanical arms that has gimbal joints the while way, and a flip of the lever makes it completely flexible.

Sorry for the poor description.
Big T, Thanks. I see Dirtfishin does use that POV but doesn't show how he has it set up. I would like to get a look. I couldn't find anything with a youtube search of Bill_s. I really enjoy watching Md videos but most just show a flipped plug and the guy says "ok guys I have another target here " If your mding of course your going to find another target. Sorry, in my mind the hunt is important as the kill. How about show the machine, the signal, and ya FF on the dig but it serves to entertain, inform or educate the viewers on the particular machine the guy is using and how it behaves in a real world hunt. Just my opinion. HH Mark ps. didn't mean to hijack your thread.

I got a go pro 2 years ago for Christmas and haven’t used it yet out doors,I did fire it up for a few minute video and it’s got great resolution.I had all the intentions on making videos,but it’s been in my closet since I got it.
But my question is why do you guys buy those big go pros to begin with? Mine is the hero session,3 and a half hours record time,rechargeable internal battery,WiFi transfer of footage from GoPro to phone or computer,waterproof,button on top for on and off,,and so small it fits in the palm of your hand..it measures 1 and a half inch by 1 and a half inches and weighs a few ounces.
I see a lot of you tubers with these big oversized gopros metal detecting,And I cant figure out why you’d go so big when the cheapest one of all is so convenient?Im not knocking anyone’s equipment,just asking a question,I’m sure there’s a good reason but I can’t think of it?
Mine came with a headband and a chest mount.Maybe you could find a headband that you could mount yours on,might be easier

Attachments

• D30DC458-FE30-4F8B-9596-ACB802733105.jpg
    D30DC458-FE30-4F8B-9596-ACB802733105.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 317
  • 609204A9-6B4C-4D5D-84FD-DAE71BC143AB.jpg
    609204A9-6B4C-4D5D-84FD-DAE71BC143AB.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 300
Last edited:
I see a lot of you tubers with these big oversized gopros metal detecting,And I cant figure out why you’d go so big when the cheapest one of all is so convenient?

For me, it was a few reasons:
1) If you're out in the field recording and your battery dies, you can simply put in another one. With the Session, you're done recording until you recharge.

2) Built in batteries will only recharge so many times, then they'll no longer take a charge. The Session would become disposable at that point. I like the idea of a replaceable battery.

3) I like having the larger LCD screen to line up my camera view, edit settings, review and delete footage, etc.. All without connecting to my phone or a computer.

The Hero Black also has more control over video output and better audio.

The slight increase in size and weight vs the additional features is a good trade off to me.
Session = 1.49"x1.49"x1.42" - 2.6oz
Hero Black = 2.4"x1.7"x0.9" - 4.2oz

For me, it was a few reasons:
1) If you're out in the field recording and your battery dies, you can simply put in another one. With the Session, you're done recording until you recharge.

2) Built in batteries will only recharge so many times, then they'll no longer take a charge. The Session would become disposable at that point. I like the idea of a replaceable battery

I definitely understand you on most of it..But your reasons stated here are the two reasons I don't care for machines with rechargeable batteries, Especially the first part you wrote,in the field and run outta juice your dead in the water..I understand that rechargable machines run 10 plus hours on a charge,but if I forget to charge it,im not going anywhere..i always keep a pack of aa batteries in my truck along with 9 volt for that reason..But applies to everything with rechargeable internal batteries.Point well taken

Yeah I can see where that could be an issue. I guess it doesn’t bother me so much when it comes to detectors because I always have my other machines in the truck. Even though the internal batteries can wear out just like the Session, I think the fact that they can still be replaced gives me a little peace of mind. I see your point though. Always nice to have the ability to swap batteries regardless of the type of device.

Big T, Thanks. I see Dirtfishin does use that POV but doesn't show how he has it set up. I would like to get a look. I couldn't find anything with a youtube search of Bill_s. I really enjoy watching Md videos but most just show a flipped plug and the guy says "ok guys I have another target here " If your mding of course your going to find another target. Sorry, in my mind the hunt is important as the kill. How about show the machine, the signal, and ya FF on the dig but it serves to entertain, inform or educate the viewers on the particular machine the guy is using and how it behaves in a real world hunt. Just my opinion. HH Mark ps. didn't mean to hijack your thread.

BILL_s would be his forum names if I remember correctly he dosen't post much anymore. Anyway here is the video I spoke of that shows how he films.

https://youtu.be/LYpXaglw7dw

Why don't you just get this accessory from gopro? I have one, and all you do is clip it on your cap. It works like a charm

I have a few different versions of those.. They work, but it puts the weight of the camera further out on the end of your cap. The one like the OP showed balances much better IMHO.

I have a few different versions of those.. They work, but it puts the weight of the camera further out on the end of your cap. The one like the OP showed balances much better IMHO.

I do agree with this. Using the clip does make it forward heavy, and the cap, if not tight on your head, can be pulled down over your eyes

Back
Top Bottom