Shut out on permission

Fooleeze

There's a property near my home that appears to have had an original homesite on it in the early to mid 1800s. I tried to get permission from a property management company that owned the vacant lot. They couldn't give permission because it was under contract to be sold. Once it changed owners, I sent an email to the new owners (a home builder). I got nothing back. They are now clearing trees from the lot this week to start building a model home. I called and left a message. No call back. I'm getting shut out.

I just want to save the history before they bury it. . . is that so bad? It's going to hurt watching them develop that lot.

They are building a new store and cleared the ground. No permission given and it will be cover by a building and asphalt within weeks.

The city sold an old school that's being converted to apartments. It has been hunted hard, but they had moved some dirt and I thought it was worth a shot. Guy comes out and tells me it's private property now and I can't be there for liability reasons. I said "Tom said it was OK". He was cool with that. Thanks Tom.

Oh, I've thought long and hard about an evening or an early morning hunt. . . but I could get busted for trespassing. It is on a more busy intersection and they've cleared most of the trees. A slight hill to the property.

I guess my concern with it is what would happen if a neighbor or someone driving by sends the police. The police call the owner. . . the owner has my name because I've emailed and called. What if he gets angry and decides to be a jerk about it?

I'm thinking through worst case here. . . man I sure wish he would just respond to me.

We hit construction sites all the time as long as they are not posted or fenced. The owners don't care they just want the project completed. We wait until the crews quit for the day or we go on weekends.

When they break ground near downtown Franklin there's about 10 guys on the field soon as the crews leave.

Oh, I've thought long and hard about an evening or an early morning hunt. . . but I could get busted for trespassing. It is on a more busy intersection and they've cleared most of the trees. A slight hill to the property.

I guess my concern with it is what would happen if a neighbor or someone driving by sends the police. The police call the owner. . . the owner has my name because I've emailed and called. What if he gets angry and decides to be a jerk about it?

I'm thinking through worst case here. . . man I sure wish he would just respond to me.

Wellll.. you said he NEVER got back to you therefore he never told you that you couldn't.. I have a boss that I email him stuff and if I don't hear back from him then I take that as a YES !!

LOL, I just laughed at your signature with that advice. . . "Never a criminal, always an outlaw."

Wellll.. you said he NEVER got back to you therefore he never told you that you couldn't.. I have a boss that I email him stuff and if I don't hear back from him then I take that as a YES !!

So worst case, what could happen if I happened to find myself on that property late one evening or early some morning?

The cops may come but maybe not. The longer they don't come, the more comfortable you'll be and maybe find some good stuff. If they would come, they'll just tell you to leave. Have at it.

Sending an email to a construction company is pointless. These guys multitask between several jobs working hard and fast. No one is going to give your email a second look. Their world is time and money. That being said, A lot of people don’t care if someone strolls by with a metal detector on Sunday at sunrise.

Sad, I remember a time when trespassing was frowned upon and respect for others property admired.

How times change.

And people wonder why they get turned down...........

Sad, I remember a time when trespassing was frowned upon and respect for others property admired.

How times change.

And people wonder why they get turned down...........

We must be having some sort of different mental perception of the type site being talked about here. From what you are saying, it appears you have someone's front yard in mind. Or a fenced posted site, etc....

So perhaps we simply have a different visual image of the type location. Because what I was envisioning was ...... vacant lot. In the same way that I'm sure you'd step foot off the sidewalk in a situation like this :

500px-Trail-Example-urban-shortcut.jpg

We must be having some sort of different mental perception of the type site being talked about here. From what you are saying, it appears you have someone's front yard in mind. Or a fenced posted site, etc....

So perhaps we simply have a different visual image of the type location. Because what I was envisioning was ...... vacant lot. In the same way that I'm sure you'd step foot off the sidewalk in a situation like this :

I understand you're cool and edgy Tom. You like to play ignorant when it suits your needs.

Private property starts at the property line, a foot inside someones property, is still private.

I'm not kind to trespassers I catch on my property. I've yet to have one return.

So keep on justifying trespassing to newbies, as this hobby is running on the downhill slope anyway.

... Private property starts at the property line, a foot inside someones property, is still private....

I understand. Yes, everything you are saying is technically true. So to be clear: For the picture I posted, and these: You would walk around, and not take that path, right ? (just want to be clear).

penguin-path.jpg

20180612_111442516_ios.jpg

Back
Top Bottom