Pizza Permission

KS Plug Popper

I stoped at a garage sale, bought a hand full of ice picks (I like them for probing) for 1.00 and visited very courtuously with the young lady and then asked if i could come back after her sale was over and detect her yard. She said no problem sure. So a week later i showed up at her house with my wife in tow and we stopped and got a 10.00 gift card from the local convience store which will buy a large pizza there and knocked on door and told her we really apriciated the permission and here was a gift card for a large pizza, or wharever she wanted. Ive been there several times, found some good finds and got 3 more surrounding neighbor's permissions while there. Ive already spent near 10 hrs in her front and back yard and still have not finished those and have both curbsides(she is on a corner) yet to do. By the time i finish, between me and my wife, doubt ill have .25 an hour in it for hunting it. Cheap fun, makes friendly home owner/renters. I was wondering if others do anything similar?

Good on ya! Well done! To answer your question, out Brother 'beephead' commonly would bring along gifts such as tomatoes from his garden to give to home owners that allowed him to hunt their yard...He would strike up a conversation much in the same way you did, by stopping at a garage sale kind of thing..being a friendly good guy and then asking to detect...making friends and aquaintances and parlaying one friendship earned into another permission even! Trust through transference!....

..I think I remember he once hauled a load of RR ties out to the street for one lady...? It really worked for him...just going around being a good guy and talking to people..Even if he didnt detect, I think he woulda done it just the same...some people are naturals....

Good idea.
Thanks MA!
Good on ya! Well done! To answer your question, out Brother 'beephead' commonly would bring along gifts such as tomatoes from his garden to give to home owners that allowed him to hunt their yard...He would strike up a conversation much in the same way you did, by stopping at a garage sale kind of thing..being a friendly good guy and then asking to detect...making friends and aquaintances and parlaying one friendship earned into another permission even! Trust through transference!....

..I think I remember he once hauled a load of RR ties out to the street for one lady...? It really worked for him...just going around being a good guy and talking to people..Even if he didnt detect, I think he woulda done it just the same...some people are naturals....
Yep I like that style, what ya put out will come back to good or bad. That seems almost like old wisdom, haha! Proverbs 18:24 "A man that hath friends must shew himself friendly: and there is a friend that sticketh closer than a brother"

I keep meaning to do this myself...it's a brilliant idea....and much easier than knocking on the door, since you're already at their home and talking to them (and ideally buying some stuff to break the ice).

Maybe buy a bunch of their clothes and mention that you donate the clothes to a local charity...show that you're a good guy

Back
Top Bottom