• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Wrapping the cable

Chipk

Elite Member
Does the way you wrap the coil cable around the shaft affect performance? If so what is the optimal way to do it? I try to keep the first 6 inches of the cable straight and then it's basically however I can get it on so I have enough left over to connect it to the control box. I secure the top and bottom with rubber wraps to hold it securely enough to prevent falling signals. But curious as to if there is a better way. :?:

I leave just enough initial slack to be able to fully pivot the coil. Then I securely wrap the coil around the tubing.

In my case, I just got done talking to Garrett and they say to wrap clockwise.

I use an ATPro and when Im holding it the cable comes outta the left hand side of the coil. I learned here to wrap the cable over the top of the shaft first. So I guess that woujld be clock-wise also when hold my machine... No problems so far...

yep, supposed to go over the shaft first. Alot of people also run it straight up the shaft about a foot and then start winding over. just be sure to leave a little slack at the bottom.

Leave enough slack for the coil to bend back. If you trip the coil could catch and will need the slack to keep from pulling hard on the wire. Then just wrap it around the shaft. Some come straight up the shaft for half the distance and then wrap. I use silicone tape to secure my cable. Some use Velcro. I hate the Velcro. It always slips in the surf. Never use electrical tape. You will make a mess with the sticky part.

Get some!

Attachments

• wrap.jpg
    wrap.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 4,883
I tried it both ways,running it like Terry and just wrapping it around and didn't really notice any difference.To each their own.

Of course it matters how you wrap your coil wire, just like toilet paper you have to have it going over not under :D.

I will toss this out there for you all to look up if you like. Search the forums for something called a hank, it is a way some wrap their coils, it's not my cup of tea but to each their own.

I go over the top first, allowing enough slack for the coil to be perpendicular or parallel with the shaft without stressing the connection, then secure that with electrical tape maybe 6 inches up. Then wrap the rest tightly.

"Hank" style coil wrap

I will toss this out there for you all to look up if you like. Search the forums for something called a hank, it is a way some wrap their coils, it's not my cup of tea but to each their own.

Our forum thread refers to the other forum.
Here's your link

Basically, It's
  1. running the wire straight up the shaft with velcro ties,
  2. then coiling the rest in a loop, like a rope or extention cord,
  3. velcro-tying the coil in a few places to secure it to itself and then to the shaft, right below the box.

I disassemble my detector frequently, and this looks like an easy tear down, so I'll probably give it a try.

Get some!

Good example how not to do it. Make sure you leave enuf slack that the coil can pivot all the way in either direction without stressing the coil wire where it enters the coil. If for any reason you hit the coil and it pivots all the way in either direction you can damage the wire or the coil or the seal of the wire to the coil.

At pro

I bought an at pro a few weeks ago and I seen a guy online put a Protective cover near the base of the detector just above the coil. Does anyone know where to buy this product.thanks

I don't own a MD yet but it seems you need to keep the metallic wire as far away from the coil as possible to prevent interference. Running straight up the shaft at least a foot (leaving enough to maneuver the coil) and then wrapping seems like the best way to keep as much cable as possible away from the coil.

Back
Top Bottom