Equinox 15 inch coil recovery speed issue

maxxkatt

Forum Supporter
I have read where several Equinox owners with the 15 x 12 inch coil reporting over all not so good results with the coil use in the default settings.
A number posters have said you must use recovery speeds 5 or below and 4 seems to be the best.

Why is that? Just the nature of larger coils?

I have read where several Equinox owners with the 15 x 12 inch coil reporting over all not so good results with the coil use in the default settings.
A number posters have said you must use recovery speeds 5 or below and 4 seems to be the best.

I know on the V3i if i put like the 13 inch ultimate coil on , i do better with a higher number or slower recovery speed. Usually around 80 where as the 6 inch coil i run at 15. Most likely just nature of big coils.

I can't speak for others but I've been having tremendous success with the 15" on mine. On beach wet sand and in the dirt. In wet sand it's insanely deep. On land I've been running mine in Park 1 and 2, 5 tone adjusted to my liking, Iron bias 0, reactivity dialed back to 3, and sensitivity cranked up as high as it will go before getting chattery. In my opinion if you're swinging the 15" then you're looking for max depth over separation and reactivity 6 would be counter productive to what you're trying to achieve really. Every notch of reactivity you go up is about another 3/4" of depth loss or something like that I believe. Reactivity of 3 is still really good separation and you get great depth, on the beach I actually crank it down to 2. I uploaded videos to my YouTube a few days ago of the 15" pulling gold rings at 18-20" in wet sand and I have more footage I haven't edited yet on land finding silver dimes in pounded out areas. One of them was down about a Garrett pointer length plus 3-4", probably around 13" or so. Some of them next to junk and it still picked them out fine.

Recovery speed should be slower on a larger coil as there is more processing of information from the larger area covered with the larger coil than with a smaller one.
i.e. The computer will take longer to finish analyzing data using a big coil. That is my amateur understanding of the issue.

smaller coins can be operated at a faster recovery speed than larger coils

Did any detectors before the Whites V3 series even have recovery speed adjustment? Minelabs? I don't know.

I can't speak for others but I've been having tremendous success with the 15" on mine. On beach wet sand and in the dirt. In wet sand it's insanely deep. On land I've been running mine in Park 1 and 2, 5 tone adjusted to my liking, Iron bias 0, reactivity dialed back to 3, and sensitivity cranked up as high as it will go before getting chattery. In my opinion if you're swinging the 15" then you're looking for max depth over separation and reactivity 6 would be counter productive to what you're trying to achieve really. Every notch of reactivity you go up is about another 3/4" of depth loss or something like that I believe. Reactivity of 3 is still really good separation and you get great depth, on the beach I actually crank it down to 2. I uploaded videos to my YouTube a few days ago of the 15" pulling gold rings at 18-20" in wet sand and I have more footage I haven't edited yet on land finding silver dimes in pounded out areas. One of them was down about a Garrett pointer length plus 3-4", probably around 13" or so. Some of them next to junk and it still picked them out fine.

On my first hunt an old public soccer field that is hunted I would say once a month by friends of mine and myself I decided to try out my 15 inch coil for first time. A number of post said no recovery speed over 5 and 4 was the best.

So I set my recovery speed at 4 and hunting in field 2, sens 19, iron balance 0. First thing I noticed I could raise my sensitivity up to 22 with it not being chatty.

Four 3 corroded green zinc pennies, old rusty bottle cap, modern bottle cap, dirty nickel 1976 and one old dirty pop top. What I did find to my ears compared to the stock coil on that same soccer field that the finds were more solid from and audio stand point and TID were more solid. So these targets were overlooked by others, and that made me feel good. Had their been silver there, I am sure I would have found some goodies.

The coverage walk was more like a moderate walk than a slow walk. big step forward for me on open fields. It did take a little time getting used to the slow recovery lag. Had no real trouble pinpointing since I use both the pinpointing button and the heel and toe method when switching to the user mode at 10 khz. The ground was nice and moist after many weeks of rain. Will have to wait til summer to see how it performs in hard packed dry dirt.

Back
Top Bottom