Storing your research materials

A#1

Now that it's officially research season, I started digging through stuff.

I kinda realized I've accumulated piles, stacks, boxes, tubes......all kinds of books and maps in various forms.

Probably a couple thousand dollars worth of new to antique things that I use.

I try to copy and protect what I can, but I was curious if anyone has come up with a good way to store these type of things.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J327A using Tapatalk

I am sort of a paper collector/lover so can give some basic tips.

One thing that is VERY important with any sort of paper is that it is stored in archival safe containers, which generally means they need to be acid-free. For loose papers and maps that are folded, binders with sheet protectors work really well - you can always categorize/group information by binder or use tabbed dividers.

If you have sort of bulky items that aren't flat, you can find some great acid-free storage container options in hobby and scrapbook/craft types of stores. I have these 12x12 project box things I absolutely adore for storage.

For tubes for bigger things you might want to check into the kind of storage systems people use for gift wrap rolls - those are a nice way to store anything tall/round.

For me the harder part is remember what I have and where...so I've learned keeping sort of an index and lots of notes/logs on what I do when I do helps make sure I don't forget everything!

Back
Top Bottom