5x8 epoxy came out!

cellrdwellr

Elite Member
Anyone ever fix something like this successfully? Its probably my favorite coil ever made, I cannot live without it :laughing: I was hunting and all of a sudden my machine started going nuts, here's the reason :roll: appreciate any help, thanks!

Attachments

• 1121181050~2.jpg
    1121181050~2.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 566
I am concerned that you lost the copper loops too... If not there are several products that could seal the space.

BCD

Ugh I hope not, I'm going to clean it, dry it, and re epoxy. Not sure what I will use for epoxy. It does still detect metal, but theres a constant disturbance like I'm detecting over a sewer cap or something lol thanks for your input!

You might ask the Mfg or an aftermarket coil company like NEL about materials to use to fix it.

If you are getting erratic operation the coil winding is likely compromised. The epoxy secures it and seals it but just loss of epoxy should not make it dysfunctional.

If you are getting erratic operation the coil winding is likely compromised. The epoxy secures it and seals it but just loss of epoxy should not make it dysfunctional.

I believe the erratic operation is due to the moisture getting inside where the epoxy should be. When its dry, its runs just fine. I can remember getting erratic signals for months before the epoxy came out, just wrote it off as EMI, but now I know it was because moisture worked its way into the cracks in the epoxy...

I believe the erratic operation is due to the moisture getting inside where the epoxy should be. When its dry, its runs just fine. I can remember getting erratic signals for months before the epoxy came out, just wrote it off as EMI, but now I know it was because moisture worked its way into the cracks in the epoxy...

My buddy makes coils from scratch, I txt him to see what epoxy is good. Being thanksgiving he may take a while to respond but I will post it.

Make sure the coil is totally dry. Brush off loose dirt. Wipe it down with 91% isopropyl alcohol (readily available at drug store). Get the 91%. Use a scotch brite pad to roughen the surface a little. Be careful not to abrade any copper coil wire if you see it. Vacuum the dust off. Now, before you actually epoxy. Test it carefully. If your sure it works, get a good 24 hour epoxy, Devcon for instance (home depot). Make absolutely sure there is no metal in the epoxy you get. Many have metal as a reinforcement material. In looking at your issue, I'd put a strip of painters tape around the outside and inside edge as a dam. Pour the epoxy in and let it level. Once you've replaced the "missing material" let it cure thoroughly, remove the tape. I'd then go back and give the whole thing another coat with a brush. You might even contact the manufacturer and find out what epoxy they use. Epoxy and plastics are not the best of friends. It'll work, for a long time, but over time the bond will deteriorate.

My buddy makes coils from scratch, I txt him to see what epoxy is good. Being thanksgiving he may take a while to respond but I will post it.

Make sure the coil is totally dry. Brush off loose dirt. Wipe it down with 91% isopropyl alcohol (readily available at drug store). Get the 91%. Use a scotch brite pad to roughen the surface a little. Be careful not to abrade any copper coil wire if you see it. Vacuum the dust off. Now, before you actually epoxy. Test it carefully. If your sure it works, get a good 24 hour epoxy, Devcon for instance (home depot). Make absolutely sure there is no metal in the epoxy you get. Many have metal as a reinforcement material. In looking at your issue, I'd put a strip of painters tape around the outside and inside edge as a dam. Pour the epoxy in and let it level. Once you've replaced the "missing material" let it cure thoroughly, remove the tape. I'd then go back and give the whole thing another coat with a brush. You might even contact the manufacturer and find out what epoxy they use. Epoxy and plastics are not the best of friends. It'll work, for a long time, but over time the bond will deteriorate.

Appreciate your help guys! The coil has been cleaned, currently its drying. I will test it after it dries to make sure it still functions properly. Thanks again, will update soon. :happythanks::turkeyday::turkey::pilgrim:

Okay got the coil dry, hooked her up and she works great!!! Snapped another pic, there's also two cracks in the epoxy...one at about 4 o'clock and the other at about 7 o'clock... I want to fix it today, I will loom around and see what I have for epoxy and attempt my own fix... Will also update after that process. Thanks everyone for your input!

Attachments

• 1122181100a~2.jpg
    1122181100a~2.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 422
Ok so, being thanksgiving, nowhere is open. So I went with whatever I could find at home. I found some generic 2 part clear epoxy and filled the void, also covered the cracks....tomorrow morning I will wrap the areas tightly with electrical tape, but not before I brush another thin coat of epoxy on there. Fingers crossed! Thanks everyone! Ill report back tomorrow with a verdict if the repair worked or not! Also will be looking into a coil cover before the start of next season :p Happy holidays and hunting!

Attachments

• 1122181217~2.jpg
    1122181217~2.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 478
ok so I was impatient and wrapped the epoxied areas prettty good with electrical tape, took her out to the local basketball court and managed a little over 3 bucks in clad in an hour and a half, she runs very smooth again! Appreciate all your help!

Nice work. I had a similar problem with my 8.5x11 and a similar fix. Still working 2 years later.

Nice work and congrats! I'm curious what the temp was on that hunt? Never went above 26 here but the wind died down so I went swingin anyway! :lol:

Nice work and congrats! I'm curious what the temp was on that hunt? Never went above 26 here but the wind died down so I went swingin anyway! :lol:

I want to say it was about 11 degrees :laughing: ill almost guarantee the ground is now frozen after last night...its about 2 degrees out right now...looks like the only hunting ill be doing is woods or the ocean :no: appreciate all your advice!

Back
Top Bottom