Mystery U.S. ---NO longer a mystery!

Oldsjunkie

Forum Supporter
I wish the thing would have just been blank trash...:D

Big ass U.S. and a line under that is the corner of a square. Rosie for size reference. Feels too light to be copper and doesn't sound right either. Feels too light for pewter also. Has a ring when dropped and seems heavier than aluminum.

The site has been a park since 1897 and has been HAMMERED since the first metal detector came out probably. About 8 inches down with the MXT All Pro.

Rings up 55 VDI on the All Pro, which is well under what a piece of aluminum this size would come in. First thought is a medal. I've never held something that I know is made of tombac, and don't know much about it. Was it spun or cast or...? The lettering seems old to me. Tastes like chicken of course.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated, and would help me get some sleep tonight...:lol:

Attachments

• US frontrosie.jpg
    US frontrosie.jpg
    122.1 KB · Views: 641
  • US front.jpg
    US front.jpg
    107.6 KB · Views: 617
  • US back.jpg
    US back.jpg
    112.7 KB · Views: 622
  • US lip2.jpg
    US lip2.jpg
    23.9 KB · Views: 621
Last edited:
The round marking on the back looks like a tell tell sign of metal injection molding. I thing they call it a gate or pin mark... from what I know metal injection molding started being popular in the 70s.

Sorry that's the best I have for now lol. See example photos in linked document. Check out the wiki on MOM for dating timeframe.

http://www.scielo.br/scielo.php?script=sci_arttext&pid=S1678-58782004000100007

The round marking on the back looks like a tell tell sign of metal injection molding. I thing they call it a gate or pin mark... from what I know metal injection molding started being popular in the 70s.

Sorry that's the best I have for now lol. See example photos in linked document. Check out the wiki on MOM for dating timeframe.

http://www.scielo.br/scielo.php?script=sci_arttext&pid=S1678-58782004000100007

Yeah, I was looking into that at probably the time you were putting up that link. :lol:

I'm thinking with the shape and that molding mark it's a wing from a toy plane. I figure that square is the "flap" molded into it.

Thanks for the great info and HH!

I'm going to make a WAG and say it's off the tail of a very crudely cast F-14...

I looked into the mailbox theory once someone above Sai they could read mail. Part seem small so I thought maybe us mail piggy bank part... They made some toy airplanes also but I couldn't really find anything that looked like it would match up. ...I'm sure it could be any of those things that others have been suggesting. Would be good to see if someone can dig up an exact I'd on this one.

Guess I never followed up and posted the pic I found of what looks to be the aircraft in question. Thanks for the suggestions folks! GL&HH!

Attachments

• il_fullxfull.373165391_228z.jpg
    il_fullxfull.373165391_228z.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 232
I looked into the mailbox theory once someone above Sai they could read mail. Part seem small so I thought maybe us mail piggy bank part... They made some toy airplanes also but I couldn't really find anything that looked like it would match up. ...I'm sure it could be any of those things that others have been suggesting. Would be good to see if someone can dig up an exact I'd on this one.

Had the ID for a while, just never stopped back by and posted it. Tail for sure!

Back
Top Bottom