Herke arm cuff/Steve’s Detector rods

CarsonChris

Elite Member
I’ve had my Steve’s Detector rod with weighted end for about a year. After my stock arm cuff broke 2 weeks ago I ordered the Herke arm cuff. These 2 paired together give the nose heavy equinox a perfect balance. It really takes the stress off the forearm!

I highly recommend these two items in conjunction with each other. Also, the Herke cuff seems to have a longer arm strap which helps with winter time hunting when you have a jacket on. It actually fits over the bulky clothing!

I've had Steve's carbon rod, and the Herke cuff for over a year myself. I run a backup battery in a pouch under the cuff which adds weight to the rear so I don't use the weight attachment. Both are excellent investments. Can't go wrong adding both to your machine along with a coil ear protector just to be on the safe side.

I have carpal tunnel syndrome. My hand starts going numb when I detect. I detected today for 2 hours with no numbness. I credit the better balance of the Nox set up like this.

I have carpal tunnel syndrome. My hand starts going numb when I detect. I detected today for 2 hours with no numbness. I credit the better balance of the Nox set up like this.

I have had this happen, where the end of your fingertips start feeling fuzzy, and then the feeling goes away completely, only because they are now completely numb. I thought it was because of the machine, maybe there's a bigger issue here? This is encouraging news though, because I've tried moving the cuff up and down and changing the length of the shaft, and nothing seemed to help. Thanks again for sharing!

Hi, all!

I just saw this thread; thank you all for the very kind words! I appreciate it, and I love to hear that I've been able to help some have a more comfortable detecting experience!!

cellrdwellr -- "wrist issues" are one of the main manifestations of the nose-heaviness of the machine. I could give a long-winded explanation as to why that is, but suffice it to say that it is your wrist and forearm that bear the brunt of the effects of a nose-heavy machine, as it is your wrist and forearm doing ALL of the work to keep the coil floating above the ground (which then can affect "downstream" areas such as your elbow, and even shoulder). That's the purpose of counterweight -- counterweighting will do some, or even all (depending upon how much weight you choose to use) of the work to "lift" the coil FOR you, instead of fighting with your wrist and forearm to do it. If you have ANY pre-existing tendency for carpal tunnel syndrome, a nose-heavy unit will exacerbate that. Meanwhile, counterweighting will substantially help...

Steve

Back
Top Bottom