Took a year off... thinking about buying a MD to get by before I purchase something serious!

marro

Hey guys, over a year ago I sold my ATPRO i had been using for about 5 years before that. It didn't break my heart selling it as I always suspected it never really worked right, (but thats another thread).
Im currently saving up about a thousand dollars to buy something more "sophisticated "... but I've been really itching to get out and im considering springing for a 200/300 perhaps used machine.
What would you guys suggest for an experienced detectorst just wanting to buy something to get by?
Funny enough im thinking about something in the ACE line of Garrett since there would be no learning curve (i guess)
Kinda always wanted to try a tesoro??

If you want your finds to increase, location first and machine second. No matter what you get you cannot find what's not there. You could of possibly had a faulty AT pro because those machines are very simple to run,and great performance. Garrett sold a boat load for that reason.
New machine? Depends on what your looking for and what features are important to you. To me features are everything,, I like to know what I'm digging so poor visual ID and lack of a backlight exclude alot for me. So before you go with what others prefer make sure it's upto your standards,and expectations.

$200-300? I think everyone is going to call for the Nokta Makro Simplex+. I have one and like it, but I don't have the experience to give you a recommendation that will be worth much to someone with lots of MD experience.

I started out with an Ace 250 about a year ago and thought it worked well but decided to upgrade and was unsure if I wanted to stick with Garrett and go with an AT Pro since I was familiar with their operation or switch to an Equinox. I purchased an Equinox 600 from one the of the boards sponsors and am glad I did. FWIW.

Steve

When you’re ready to buy, contact Jeff at Quality (forum Sponsor) for a great deal on that Equinox.
I had the 800 then sold it and bought an Equinox 600. For some reason I prefer the 600. Good luck!

When you’re ready to buy, contact Jeff at Quality (forum Sponsor) for a great deal on that Equinox.
I had the 800 then sold it and bought an Equinox 600. For some reason I prefer the 600. Good luck!

I also got the 600, no loss of performance for a couple hundred less seemed like a no-brainer. I would grab a simplex and use that til you get enough saved for the equinox. Good luck out there!

I wouldn’t join the equinox bandwagon yet.
Depending on the what your going after and the ground You hunt in. It’s not the end all be all detector but it is decent.

Hotled: said:
I wouldn’t join the equinox bandwagon yet.
Depending on the what your going after and the ground You hunt in. It’s not the end all be all detector but it is decent.
'Thank You.' The Equinox, the XP's, the Nokta / Makro, the Garrett's and several other brands all make some very good detectors. A lot depends on the type(s) of detecting a person plans to do.

I had an EQ-800 w/6" coils and it was 'OK' in some ways, but I sold it off because for the types of needs where an EQ-800 might be useful for me, the Vanquish 540 Pro Pack was actually the better performer.

I'm trimming my 2021 outfit to 7 or 8 detectors, and the V-540 is one of them, but no other Minelab offering.

Monte

Back
Top Bottom