My first return - class ring

BottleCapKing

Elite Member
Friday, I went to the Athol Public library to look up who this particular class ring. Found the name. Went home and did some research. Found out her married name, found out where she lived. All I couldn't find was her correct phone number. So, I decided to drop by her house to give her her ring back.

attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

I knocked on the door and her Husband answered. I asked if the owner of the ring lived there if she was home, because I found something she may want back, and showed him the ring. He said that she was going to be really happy and invited me in.

He introduced me to the owner. She introduced me to her daughter and to her sister. They were all stunned. They passed the ring around and marveled at how good a shape it was in and she told me the story of how she lost her clas ring. She lost it in 1974 (the year she graduated) during a fight she had with her boyfriend at the time (who went onto become her first husband). He took the ring off her finger and chucked it, never to bee seen again. Fourty four years later, a complete stranger come to her door to bring it back to her. She eventually started to cry. The story alone made the ring return worth it.

To make the story even better, the daughter say, "I can't wait to call dad and laugh at him because mom got her ring back!". I wish I had aked that she do so while I was still here.

They mused that this would make a great small town, local new story, which I did agree it would. I did decline however to participate in any such story as I don't do this for publicity.

I stuck around for a little bit, and left behind four very happy people. Very worth the time spent trying to track down the owner.

Great story. I really love the feeling when we recover something that was lost for a long time and return it to the owner. Hope the hunting gods reward your effort with a good keeper find. GL & HH.

Nice job man! Did they still live in Athol? Your killing the cheddar this year! Must be karma :cool: nice work finding the owner and getting that ring back!

Doing the story for a local newspaper might benefit not only you but others who detect. It helps to inform people that we aren't detecting just for ourselves but return items when possible.

Doing the story for a local newspaper might benefit not only you but others who detect. It helps to inform people that we aren't detecting just for ourselves but return items when possible.

They are free to do a story if they want. They just have to do it without me. I don't do pictures. I don't do interviews. You are free to do as you wish - as am I. I have no thirst for the spotlight, however dim or bright as it might be.

Back
Top Bottom