found a gun

Bounder

I dug a weird little gun in my yard a bit ago. I thought it was a cap gun until I got it cleaned up a little. It says Daisy mfg. co, No 80 Plymouth Michigan. Turns out it's a squirt gun. It has a brass cylinder in the barrel with a tiny hole in it. I'll try to post more pics when I get it cleaned up as much as I can.

Attachments

• 0901181354-1.jpg
    0901181354-1.jpg
    110.3 KB · Views: 392
  • 0901181353-1.jpg
    0901181353-1.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 383
Wow that's a cool find, congrats.

Sent from my LG-V495 using Tapatalk

research on squirt gun

I looked up some information on the squirt gun and found it was made in the 1930's. They marketed them under the name Buzz Barton who was a movie cowboy of that time. They advertised them as a "tramp terror & cyclists friend". They were called painful but harmless and would fire only 6 shots. There isn't a fill hole on it so I don't see how they work. I have the trigger and hammer freed up so I'm making progress. I doubt it will ever work though.

Nice little gun there may have looked like this

Attachments

• 25035462_1_x.jpg
    25035462_1_x.jpg
    9.4 KB · Views: 250
squirty gun

I looked on E-bay and they actually had some in really good condition. They were asking around $70.00 for them. Yours is a different model from mine which appears to be complete. I like the look of yours better. I don't see how mine is supposed to work. There is a rod under the barrel that must play a part. You probably stick the barrel in water and draw it in somehow. Maybe they were smarter than me in those days.

The "cyclist's friend" part probably means it was used to shoot an irritant into a dog's face. Early bicyclists had a problem with being chased by or attacked by dogs, and actually carried real revolvers to stop dogs. Here's a revolver ad that mentions tramps as well as cyclists. Guessing your gun was offered as a nonlethal alternative.

Attachments

• cyclists friend ad NA.jpg
    cyclists friend ad NA.jpg
    129.2 KB · Views: 230
Back
Top Bottom