Metal Detecting during Hunting Season

AMC If you go to a city park in my area during ball games there are at least 25 people there that carry.

The grocery store is the same.

I guess you never leave your house and let your wife do the shopping.

Every where one goes in this nation there armed individuals as it should be.
Not true. Just today I went out shopping, bought my wife a new pair of pants! :cool:

Not true. Just today I went out shopping, bought my wife a new pair of pants! :cool:

I think maybe you don't realize whats going on around you. Southern MI folks are good folks in general. LOTS of sportsmen/sportswomen in MI and many many of those carry concealed.

I think maybe you don't realize whats going on around you. Southern MI folks are good folks in general. LOTS of sportsmen/sportswomen in MI and many many of those carry concealed.

Well I’m not too sure what concealed carry has to do with safe metal detecting during hunting season, except that both activities involve firearms.
Btw, I hunted everything from pheasant to squirrel to whitetails for over 40 years. I live on eight acres in the country and now just like to watch the wildlife. That, and occasionally run off gun and bow hunting trespassers that could care less about boundaries. Stay safe out there.

:laughing::laughing::laughing: Now that there was FUNNY! I dont care who you are!

"Do these pants make my butt look fat?"................... "No Dear, its your butt that make those pants look fat!" I'm bravely thinking to myself.....as I stand there like a eunuch holding her purse...

As was said, plenty of bright orange, vest, hat etc. If you take your dog, same for him.
Let's do show the hunters some respect however. This is their big time of year. If you know a hunter is in the woods, see his car parked with a deer carrier on the back, NRA stickers on the windows. Leave him alone, leave quietly. Go somewhere else till he leaves. We certainly wouldn't appreciate it if a hunter saw us metal detecting a field and hiked in there and started popping the rabbits we were flushing.

PS, I don't hunt anymore but shoot frequently and do CC.

: ...as I stand there like a eunuch holding her purse...

You do ofcourse realize the purse is only an anchor point. When wife says "hold my purse" its same as tying your leash to a hitching post 'cause she knows you will not walk around carrying a purse... :)

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Me being a snowflake, I heavily avoid anyplace there may be guns!

I think its a good idea to carry a side gun because 'Making good people helpless doesn't make bad people harmless'. But it would be a good idea to wear bright colors on rifle seasons opener.

I would think that when you are bent down digging a hole and not totally visible and you are making digging noises and bumping nearby bushes you might be drawing hunter's attention. When you pop up you might be in somebody's crosshairs.

Wear blaze orange, which is required here to be used by anyone out in the field during deer season, hunting or not.

I would think that when you are bent down digging a hole and not totally visible and you are making digging noises and bumping nearby bushes you might be drawing hunter's attention. When you pop up you might be in somebody's crosshairs.

Good point, maybe have a bright orange flag on a metal rod easily stuck in the ground, sort of like the flag scuba divers use to let boaters know there is a diver at that spot.

At least in PA and probably must other states- hunting is closed on Sundays. So if concerned then detect when there is no hunting.

I suppose it depends on where and who's land you are on. If you have permission on someone's personal land there should be little worry, but always wear something blaze orange - you can get a cheap Mossy Oak knit cap for $5.00, or could get a cheap vest.

If on public land or just exploring in the woods I would be careful, although you may wear blaze orange, there are hunters out there that don't follow the rules for shooting (like "identify your target" and also "identify your target...and what's beyond it"). You also run the risk of just pi$$ing off a hunter in a tree stand, or someone who's been sitting in the same spot for hours...and then dopey you comes passing through with a metal detector...sometimes just smart to respect someone else's seasonable hobby, but that's just me.

The risk of getting accidently shot (or shot at) or getting into an argument with someone with a rifle for disturbing their hunt just doesn't sit well with me.

But like I said, if you have a personal permission and hunting is forbidden or the owner just says wear blaze orange...game on!

Yes, I agree, its honestly better to just stay away from hunting areas during hunting season so that others can enjoy their hobby/ livelihood/ ect. When I used to live back east we wore blaze orange vests while hiking and pretty much just stayed on the trail during hunting season so as not to piss off any hunters.

Back
Top Bottom