Thoughts on Little Find

BufordCityDawg

Elite Member
I decided to hit the local elementary school today mostly to use my new 6" coil around the metal playground and also to see if the little brats had dropped anything interesting. I found a few coins and such and this little mystery. Pendant rang up 17 on the Nox. It has what wants to be a 925 mark inside of it, but when I test it for silver it only gives the slightest red tent. It's a really pretty pendant. Shame if someone didn't use real silver on it. What are your thoughts?

BCD

Attachments

• Front.jpg
    Front.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 218
  • Back.jpg
    Back.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 182
  • S20180901_001.jpg
    S20180901_001.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 171
Last edited:
It is pretty, maybe silver plated. Nice nonetheless.

Sent from my LG-V495 using Tapatalk

Nice find! My thoughts:

1) maybe it’s rhodium coated sterling
2) acid getting old?
3) possible it’s not sterling as I found a fake 925 marked pendant once.

Nice find! My thoughts:

1) maybe it’s rhodium coated sterling
2) acid getting old?
3) possible it’s not sterling as I found a fake 925 marked pendant once.

Fully agree on the Rhodium plating. Chrome and most other platings would have flaked off or shown indication if buried for a long time. Silver would have tarnished. Rhodium and even palladium plating over rhodium plating will keep it shiny and something I do with some of my more expensive sterling silver pieces.

The main marquis stone appears to be a topaz. The other two rounds may also be topaz (white topaz). If you ever get over to the Myrtle Beach area, I'd be happy to test the stones for you.

Fully agree on the Rhodium plating. Chrome and most other platings would have flaked off or shown indication if buried for a long time. Silver would have tarnished. Rhodium and even palladium plating over rhodium plating will keep it shiny and something I do with some of my more expensive sterling silver pieces.

The main marquis stone appears to be a topaz. The other two rounds may also be topaz (white topaz). If you ever get over to the Myrtle Beach area, I'd be happy to test the stones for you.

Did a closeup picture and maybe not topaz. note the bubble on the left, glass?

BCD

Attachments

• S20180902_0001.jpg
    S20180902_0001.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 116
Back
Top Bottom