Nice old gun and a whatsit

TundraPlugger

Elite Member
I got done with work fairly early today so I went curb strippin.
My guess is the old cap gun is 30's to 40's.

I haven't got a clue what the ornate piece of brass is though. Tried to bend it back but it wants to crack.

Wheats are 1914 and 52-S.
0aadae9d230455b127b177a09000dc35.jpg
e07b13f7f4f07644fb7b07b06ecd2ca1.jpg
b282ad53ade6ae5a168776fcfb232643.jpg
7e5c4d5650475f55ef44e88c1ca87551.jpg
3502fc255751ef537e768d84f602f6e5.jpg
cebab63d280caf13dc2b32deeb3f4b54.jpg

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Awesome cap gun. I'm amazed at its condition. I've dug a few that were not as old, and in terrible condition. I'd try to unfold that brass piece. Even though it will probably crack to pieces. I wouldn't be able to help myself. Thanks for posting!

Awesome cap gun. I'm amazed at its condition. I've dug a few that were not as old, and in terrible condition. I'd try to unfold that brass piece. Even though it will probably crack to pieces. I wouldn't be able to help myself. Thanks for posting!
Thanks man! It's by far the nicest and most complete gun I've ever dug. This one wasn't crusty like the pieces of old cap guns I normally dig up..... unfortunately I dinged the trigger guard.

I might have to unfold that brass piece. I'm curious.

you might want to put some heat on that piece with a butane torch before you try to unbend it, it should make it easier to unbend and possibly without breaking it

Cool finds. I recall having a similar style cap gun when I was very young, in the 1960's.
The brass piece might be an old ashtray or a coaster.

The name must have come from Hawk-eye in The Last of the Mohicans. Looks like the Mohican hair too.

you might want to put some heat on that piece with a butane torch before you try to unbend it, it should make it easier to unbend and possibly without breaking it
I may give that a try. It looks really neat whatever it is!

You have to anneal the brass before bending it. Bend it a little, then anneal again, and repeat.

I had a gun like that when I was a kid,,, the brass thing,,, They took a brass plate and put a design on it and people hung them on the wall ,,, they were diff sizes and color ,, some had a more yellow tint some were dark tint your is a dark tint...

I don't know what annealing is [emoji848]

Heat it up until it glows red...more of a darker red. They must be thinking dark cherries. Bright red is going to It's easier to see if you do this in low light. Keep the flame moving to prevent burning or melty the copper. Quench it in cool/cold water and then bend. Go slow, repeat the annealing when it gets difficult to bend.

Heat it up until it glows red...more of a darker red. They must be thinking dark cherries. Bright red is going to It's easier to see if you do this in low light. Keep the flame moving to prevent burning or melty the copper. Quench it in cool/cold water and then bend. Go slow, repeat the annealing when it gets difficult to bend.
I may have to see if my brother will give it a try.....he's the welde r in the family

Back
Top Bottom