Metal Detecting during Hunting Season

SGTRAD13

Good morning!

We are quickly approaching deer/duck season here in Louisiana.

My question for the group is, what is your approach to metal detecting during hunting season? This of course is directed to old home sites/camp sites that maybe close to hunting areas.

This maybe an obvious question but I have noticed videos where guys are hunting in the fall/winter periods as fields have been harvested and the woods are void of underbrush and some game animals.

Thanks!

Wear bright, highly visible colors. You can get inexpensive safety vest at builders supply.

I've occasionally jokes about wearing a tie, safety vest, hardhat and clipboard while detecting to lessen the chance someone would ask, since it looks so official... :)

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Good morning!

My question for the group is, what is your approach to metal detecting during hunting season? This of course is directed to old home sites/camp sites that maybe close to hunting areas.

This maybe an obvious question but I have noticed videos where guys are hunting in the fall/winter periods as fields have been harvested and the woods are void of underbrush and some game animals.

Thanks!

Hunting season is the best time! All a guy has to do is dress like a CO and shake people down for beer and bills! No really though, as in most of Life, just take general simple precautions to not get shot..either deservedly or accidental...

Any time I am hiking or in the woods/fields during hunting season I wear the florescent Orange required for hunters.
Just ensure you are highly visible as a non-game animal.

I stay out of the busiest public hunting areas especially during the first week of rifle season, not to worried about the bow hunters. I wear a hunter orange hat and a bright green safety vest and talk to myself. With no headphones the loud beeps of the atpro should help too. I have a blue Carhart coat as well. The brown ones are too deer colored for me.

Bring a gun with you and do them both. Go with the hobby that’s working the best that day!

I suppose it depends on where and who's land you are on. If you have permission on someone's personal land there should be little worry, but always wear something blaze orange - you can get a cheap Mossy Oak knit cap for $5.00, or could get a cheap vest.

If on public land or just exploring in the woods I would be careful, although you may wear blaze orange, there are hunters out there that don't follow the rules for shooting (like "identify your target" and also "identify your target...and what's beyond it"). You also run the risk of just pi$$ing off a hunter in a tree stand, or someone who's been sitting in the same spot for hours...and then dopey you comes passing through with a metal detector...sometimes just smart to respect someone else's seasonable hobby, but that's just me.

The risk of getting accidently shot (or shot at) or getting into an argument with someone with a rifle for disturbing their hunt just doesn't sit well with me.

But like I said, if you have a personal permission and hunting is forbidden or the owner just says wear blaze orange...game on!

Good morning!

Thanks!

Online maps like Google show official gov't hunting areas, so often you can know if you are close to one of them.

Any old home site within a city limit, I assume discharge of firearms is prohibited.

A small property owner would more likely allow detecting within a few hundred feet of the house than allow hunting.

Most states won't allow detecting in state parks & some not in state forests.

Almost all Federal lands are off limits to metal detecting.

So it seems to me the problem occurs if someone owns huge numbers of acres and allows both. I hope the advice given here by others adequately covers that situation. Best wishes, George (MN)

I agree bright colors and make noise so you don't sneak up on anyone unintentionally. You will most likely piss off any hunters in the area or you might even drive a deer towards them!!

Deer season

Personally I stay out of the woods completely during opening weekend of gun season. To many jumpy shooters out then. After that, whether it be hunting with a gun or detector, its on a case by case basis. I worry more about the once or twice a year hunters than I do the folks that live and breathe deer hunting.

Other species like turkey, grouse, duck don't seem to draw the idiot faction into the woods like deer do. At least ime.

Thanks everyone for the input. I have been detecting large fields that often allow hunting OR back up to other areas that do. Ill be sure to be well visible and give the hunting season a few weeks to allow the energy to die down a bit!!

Back in the early 80's when the regulations about wearing RED first came out....I had traps to check, and it was deer season opener morning. I needed a RED hat to be legal! The only thing I could find in the house at 4am was this big RED flowery wide brimmed hat of the Wifes...Flowers all over it, but in an effort to be legal, I had no choice...the rules didnt specify, just that a guy had to be wearing RED head gear at least...

Also,...Since I typically check my traps totally dark, I thought it might also be prudent to carry a flashlight for an additional safety feature, but the only thing I could find that fit the bill as a flashlight was my daughters Glowworm toy! So out I went, wearing that big flowery red hat and carrying the Glowworm as a light!

I pulled into the parking area of a boatramp at a Wildlife area where I had traps set, and there was a bunch of deer hunters already staged up and waiting for Dawn to get with it...got out of my 76 Plymouth Volare wagon, popped on that hat, squeezed on the glowworm, and nearly got shot right there on the principal of the thing!...:laughing: Damn deer hunters!

In case you are wondering, this is a TRUE story...

Back in the early 80's when the regulations about wearing RED first came out....I had traps to check, and it was deer season opener morning. I needed a RED hat to be legal!
The only thing I could find in the house at 4am was this big RED flowery wide brimmed hat of the Wifes...Flowers all over it, but in an effort to be legal, I had no choice...the rules didnt specify, just that a guy had to be wearing RED head gear at least...

Also,...Since I typically check my traps totally dark, I thought it might also be prudent to carry a flashlight for an additional safety feature,
but the only thing I could find that fit the bill as a flashlight was my daughters Glowworm toy! So out I went, wearing that big flowery red hat and carrying the Glowworm as a light!

I pulled into the parking area of a boatramp at a Wildlife area where I had traps set, and there was a bunch of deer hunters already staged up and waiting for Dawn to get with it...got out of my 76 Plymouth Volare wagon, popped on that hat, squeezed on the glowworm, and nearly got shot right there on the principal of the thing!...:laughing: Damn deer hunters!

In case you are wondering, this is a TRUE story...

........something like this ? :laughing::laughing::laughing:
Mud_boatramp2.jpg

I’d be very jittery swinging in the same area as a hunter, high visibility jacket or not.

AMC If you go to a city park in my area during ball games there are at least 25 people there that carry.

The grocery store is the same.

I guess you never leave your house and let your wife do the shopping.

Every where one goes in this nation there armed individuals as it should be.

Since I usually only go with permission, I try to always ask if anyone has permission to be out there hunting. If so, I usually come back another day. The problem we are having right now is the tall grasses, making us stay out of the fields for now. But our Deer season began around the first of September and lasts until the first weekend of January.

Back
Top Bottom