Hoover Boys First Garrett APEX Hunt

I thought I heard someone say on one of these apex videos that the units they are using are test units and may not be what will be the final production model, that may be why they aren't showing much details in the videos

They're not showing much detail or getting technical because very few of them normally do. It's not what the most popular channels are about. They're not going to change that, bore their viewers, and come across as shills.

Personally I’am done giving people you tube hits to watch the same thing over and over . Hey I get it ; it’s tough keeping it interesting which is why so many people start doing you tube hunts with fancy production then fade away. I’ll watch the new people while the content is fresh . But when ( as is the case here) it gets so played out I move on.

I thought I heard someone say on one of these apex videos that the units they are using are test units and may not be what will be the final production model, that may be why they aren't showing much details in the videos

Yes. They are pre-production versions and Garrett will use the feedback from the testers to finalize the product they release to the public. We may never know what changes were made but I'm sure some will occur before the Apex is released.

If we're saying it's about the same as an AT Pro/Max or Equinox 600(?) or 800(?), then I'd imagine a guy like me would jump on an Apex based on price.

I'm seeing these prices (all at Kellyco to keep comparison level - didn't hunt best price):

Apex - 500 with headphones (425 w/o)
AT Pro 600 - 550 with headphones
Equinox 600 - 650 with headphones
Equinox 800 - 900 with headphones

If we're saying it's about the same as an AT Pro/Max or Equinox 600(?) or 800(?), then I'd imagine a guy like me would jump on an Apex based on price.

I'm seeing these prices (all at Kellyco to keep comparison level - didn't hunt best price):

Apex - 500 with headphones (425 w/o)
AT Pro 600 - 550 with headphones
Equinox 600 - 650 with headphones
Equinox 800 - 900 with headphones

I think the APEX is a little closer to the Vanquish 540 which is a proven performer. The Pro Pack is a hard deal to beat for what all you get. Not saying it is better than the APEX, but is is a proven machine. If I were considering an APEX personally, I think I'd be waiting a little while before pulling the trigger. I am basing that on everything I have seen so far with my own eyes. To be fair, I would feel the same way about any brand new detector that just came out. :yes:

Diabolik: said:
I think the APEX is a little closer to the Vanquish 540 which is a proven performer. The Pro Pack is a hard deal to beat for what all you get. Not saying it is better than the APEX, but is is a proven machine. If I were considering an APEX personally, I think I'd be waiting a little while before pulling the trigger. I am basing that on everything I have seen so far with my own eyes. To be fair, I would feel the same way about any brand new detector that just came out. :yes:
I am liking the APEX for what it is, what it does for what it's priced at, and for the compactness and light-weight.

But I agree with you that the Vanquish 540 Pro Pack is one heck of a deal as well, and I really like mine for many of the same reasons. Light-weight and compactness. They are both comfortable to use, and while I keep the 5X8 DD mounted on my V-540, I do have the 9X12 DD at-the-ready for more open sites with minimal targets.

I bought the APEX because I wanted to evaluate it and see what the folks at Garrett brought us as a new and different approach than they have had. I'm in a position to do that, but I also think that your thinking is also spot-on. Hold off and wait to see what other search coil options they are going to offer. I am certainly hoping they will produce a smaller, round-shaped coil in the 4½" to 5½" diameter, and no bigger than 6".

I have an ample number of versatile detectors in my group and the APEX will have its place. Part of that is because I got mine with the MS-3 headphones for the wireless Z-Lynk hook-up and I like them.

Monte

Back
Top Bottom