• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Problem: Grey Ghost amphibian headphones

digitall

My headphones now only have sound coming from the side that has the volume control knob. All the wires inside appear to be OK.
Has anybody had the same problem? Is there a fix?

Have you got them fixed yet, I would say the crossover wire needs to be replaced..

My guess would be a broken or disconnected wire at the 90 degree connector.

You could check it with a OHM meter. Remove the cup pad / cover and check for continuity from the incoming wires to the 90 degree connector to see if one is open. If open, could need a whole new cable but usually just cut off the 90 degree connector and a couple of inches of the cable. Put a new 90 degree connector on the cable.

Were the headphones used underwater?

Attachments

• 2014-06-23 12.35.51.jpg
    2014-06-23 12.35.51.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 1,005
  • 2014-07-08 06.50.07.jpg
    2014-07-08 06.50.07.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 908
Yes, they were used under water.
Then you may want to open the ear cups up and check for water damage. It only takes a small crack. Also, look closely where the cross over wires exit the ear cups. The seal can dry out and crack as well. If you have a U/V light, cracks, damage to the cups will show up.

Greyghost headphones

Finally got around to open up the insides of the earphones and found the wires in pretty bad shape. The volume switch was also hot glued in and no way to remove that without breaking the wires off. Decided I needed to buy new ones.
Had fun doing an autopsy and found more problems with one ear piece with water damage.

Attachments

• earph.jpg
    earph.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 927
Grayghost headphones

Went to buy new headphones and Grey Ghost does not produce the ones with a volume control anymore. They had problems with the ones with volume control and quit making them.

Yes, the volume control had a problem with sealing. Since the volume is not all that loud the control was never really any help, just a weak point. I think you would be just as happy with the new ones. And I would sell the old set, you should be able to get about 40.oo for them, someone that can fix them it would be a deal.

Back
Top Bottom