Fought Cross-Contamination & Pulled Out a Colonial Shoe Buckle!

FreeBirdTim

Elite Member
Amazing weather right now in RI. End of February, no snow anywhere and the ground is soft as butter! Plus, it's been in the 50's for the last few days. Won't last, but I'm enjoying it right now.

Went to one of my old spots off a hiking trail and attacked an area full of cross-contamination. I've gotten a few IHC's here, but it's frustrating dealing with all the modern day junk. After two hours, I ended up with 15 shotgun shells from the 1930's and a handful of pull tabs for my trouble. But my last target for the day was an 81 signal. I was hoping for a silver dime, but pulled out a colonial shoe buckle instead! Total shocker.

The buckle is complete with tongue and chape and it's all brass, including the pin. Because of that fact, the tongue and chape still move freely! Kind of small for a shoe buckle (1 1/2"x2"), so it probably came off of a kid's shoe. A very nice relic in a spot that had never produced anything pre-1880. I guess you never know around here. Old stuff is hiding everywhere!

Attachments

• DSCN1163 (2).jpg
    DSCN1163 (2).jpg
    88 KB · Views: 444
  • DSCN1171 (2).jpg
    DSCN1171 (2).jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 382
  • DSCN1173 (2).jpg
    DSCN1173 (2).jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 368
Thanks, guys! Unfortunately, old shotgun shells always seem to be littering the best spots. I have found over 1,200 of them in 7 years of detecting! Not sure why I save them, but I can't stop now! Lol!

Wow. That's a beauty! I'd be willing to take home 3x that amount of junk to find a buckle like that one.

Congrats on that super sweet buckle! If that’s all the junk targets you dug to get it you ought not complain. At most of my spots (still frozen solid spots) that’s just getting the machine warmed up!:laughing:

Thanks for all the great replies! Finding a complete shoe buckle is definitely a rare find for me. Only my second one ever and my first in six years! HH.

Back
Top Bottom