• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Question on repairing coins (discernable vs indiscernable)

Tom_in_CA

Elite Member
A few years ago, I found this $10 gold piece . And as you can see, I scratched the back. Gggrrr. :mad:

I was showing it to a local friend of mine, who is a jeweler by trade. He said he could fix the scratch, while leaving utterly no trace of the fix.

At first I objected , saying that grading Co's are "on the lookout" for evidence of such things. But he said that advanced computerized methods, have now come so far, that they can actually do things like remove mint-marks, so thoroughly that , yes, it will go un-detected. So that things like filling in a scratch, and leaving no trace of that, will now be possible.

As we all know, a scratch on a key-date coin will lower the value immensely. Has anyone heard of anyone doing repairs on such booboos ?

Attachments

• 20170117_095946.jpg
    20170117_095946.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 364
  • 20170117_095850.jpg
    20170117_095850.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 346
First things First.. That coin is in such good shape that I am sick sick sick like I am gonna barf sick..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=knGtZe_mxiM is a link to a guy actually doing it..

Great link ! Thanx !

The jeweler friend of mine, who said he could do it, said that it is much easier on flat surface, as opposed to something like a reeded edge. But that , either way, it could be done. And that he would even make it match the color, tone, patina, etc.... To leave it utterly indiscernible .

Altering and repairing coins have been around forever. Yes , the technology involved now is incredible. But so are detection methods. It's no different than police catching up to criminals in their endeavors. They always seem to be a few steps behind. But they do get there. Get a book on counterfeit detection methods and alterations. Many out there , truly fascinating.

Removing mintmarks you would think would be the easiest. To the unknowledgable.... Going into depth , what they look for are specific die characteristics of known genuine specimens. This is where counterfeit artisans fail. These cannot be replicated.

Why do you think grading services note on holders : altered , cleaned , ungradable , etc ? Repairing a coin to make a coin look nice for one's own I think is a good thing. But thinking it's going to improve its value is another. Especially if big bank is involved.

.... Repairing a coin to make a coin look nice for one's own I think is a good thing. ....

Yes. I was not advocating removing a mint-mark (for cases when the Philly mint is the key-date coin). Was only using that , as an example of how far the science had supposedly become.

For cases of repairing a scratch, that is not deception (as would be the case of removing a mint-mark).

I don’t know about welding up scratches but I’d sure like to have found that coin! Jeez Louise man! Did you sh*t yourself when you found it?:lol:

Yes. I was not advocating removing a mint-mark (for cases when the Philly mint is the key-date coin). Was only using that , as an example of how far the science had supposedly become.

For cases of repairing a scratch, that is not deception (as would be the case of removing a mint-mark).

All depends on the intentions involved and what the end game is. Lots of professional restorers out there that do excellent work. Example the shipwreck coins from the S.S Central America. Cleaned and preserved from the ocean. Nice coin you got Tom , I would leave it alone. But I probably have more experience about coins than you. Either way , very nice !

BTW , detecting down here on the beaches is the worst in recent memory. And I've hunted alot. More for exercise than anything else. Can't imagine it being any better up there but idk.

..... Can't imagine it being any better up there but idk.

Thanx Mr. KOB. The Monterey bay area beaches have been lame too. Sshheeessk, seems like for the past 2 or 3 years, I have been entirely land hunting. I've forgotten how to wet-beach-erosion chase hunt. Doh !

Having it Repaired simply so you like the look better (less reminder of scratching it). Then go for it.
If Graded, it should be listed as being Repaired. I think this being fair.
It should lower the value some but then puts it into someone budget to have a nice looking example.

That is one stunning coin Tom!

Thanx Chris. That was a few years ago. So I keep griping to Brian that I'm overdue for #16 :laughing: Strangely, I get no sympathy from him, Doh! He's happier now that he's got two, in just the last year or two. A $5 and a $1 now.

I think a detecting gouge just adds to the history of the coin. Would your great-great grandkids point out the mark and tell the story of how it was damaged. I wouldn't fix it, but I don't think I would sell it. I'm planning on keeping my gold and silver coins until I die, or need them to pay for a nursing home. I've got enough for a week and a half, so I got that going for me.

If you do repair and sell it I think there is a moral obligation to inform the buyer of the repair.

I'll bet the scratch is from you guys throwing them at each other, considering your sand boxes are filled to the brim with gold coins :sissyfight::hornetsnest: just an absolutely gorgeous coin Tom. I'll trade you 1,000 large cents for it :cool3: I wouldn't have it repaired. I would imagine it would be very costly.

How could that coin have came from the ground?
I'm skeptical

We'll never know about most of the finds posted on here. Lacking any proof, such as the same photo already posted by somebody else somewhere else (and that's something that has apparently happened in the past), then the culture around here is to say "nice job" or move on to the next discussion.

As to whether it's possible for gold to come out of the ground in that condition? Sure. I've seen others just as nice, and there's no reason to believe they're all fake. In fact, pay attention to the gold rings that come out of the ground. Many of them have scratch free surfaces. Also, from a photographic standpoint, the soft light, tone, and focus in that photo is pretty forgiving.

We'll never know about most of the finds posted on here. Lacking any proof, such as the same photo already posted by somebody else somewhere else (and that's something that has apparently happened in the past), then the culture around here is to say "nice job" or move on to the next discussion.

As to whether it's possible for gold to come out of the ground in that condition? Sure. I've seen others just as nice, and there's no reason to believe they're all fake. In fact, pay attention to the gold rings that come out of the ground. Many of them have scratch free surfaces. Also, from a photographic standpoint, the soft light, tone, and focus in that photo is pretty forgiving.

Yes , I don't think I have found a ring that was mark free on a beach except stainless steel. Some posts I see of flawless gold rings coming out of the beach , I just say "yeah right" and move on. Lighting can also be deceptive. I jumped on 1 poster here awile back because of the picture he took. I later apologized after realizing you can't always have a picture perfect environment.

That is one great looking coin..I’m looking for the scratch on the backside of it ,,I can’t see it..The small dimples I see ,probably environmental damage from being in the ground but I can’t see the scratch..Awesome find!

A few years ago, I found this $10 gold piece . And as you can see, I scratched the back. Gggrrr. :mad:

I was showing it to a local friend of mine, who is a jeweler by trade. He said he could fix the scratch, while leaving utterly no trace of the fix.

At first I objected , saying that grading Co's are "on the lookout" for evidence of such things. But he said that advanced computerized methods, have now come so far, that they can actually do things like remove mint-marks, so thoroughly that , yes, it will go un-detected. So that things like filling in a scratch, and leaving no trace of that, will now be possible.

As we all know, a scratch on a key-date coin will lower the value immensely. Has anyone heard of anyone doing repairs on such booboos ?
Okay I’ll save you the stress of worrying about that Eagle, I have an 1818 large cent I hit with my shovel to trade with you even up ;)

Beautiful coin but are my eyes going bad? Lol I don’t see the scratch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom