New (back into it) at Metal Detecting

the_edge

Hello All,
Waiting on delivery of my new Minelab Equinox 600!

First introduction to MD'ing was back in the mid 70's here in CT when my father bought a very small unit (can't remember the brand), but worked on finding coins and aluminum foil, it was a non-discriminator. A few years later he upgraded to a Garrett Groundhog with the discriminator feature, while us kids still used the small unit. That green color of the Garrett was something else!

Fast forward many years, a lot seems to have changed in the detecting world, and I'm hoping to give it another go at this.

If there is anybody in CT (I'm in the Monroe area) who has a NOX 600 and would like to meet up so I can maybe get a handle on what this machine can do, ask questions, etc , I'd be up for that.

Hoping for some nice weather!

The_Edge

... A few years later he upgraded to a Garrett Groundhog with the discriminator feature, ...

Welcome from California. Yes the Groundhog was great for its era. But it got WAY out-paced when the Whites 6000D came out. By 1980, it was becoming a dinosaur already, haha

Welcome from Michiberia. Lol. We’re in a similar boat. Just received my Nox 600 in the mail yesterday after a 10+ year hiatus from the hobby. So revved up that I’m likely going beeping first thing tomorrow morning with temps in the 20s. Happy hunting!

First try out of the NOX 600 (about an hour) yielded one quarter and two dimes, recent mints of course, at a beach I thought would be pretty picked over. I only scanned a small area of the dry sand area, and there's plenty more sand to check. I did manage to locate a couple bottle caps and pull tabs.

I started with the beach 1 setting then went to beach beach 2. I am wondering if there are other settings I should have been modifying to optimize my scan results.

the_edge
- Ed

fmdfwelcome.gif
... from the cold and snowy state of Minnesota!
lotsasnow.gif
trucksnow.gif
We're glad that you have joined us.
yes.gif
Happy hunting!
mds.gif

So second time out with the Equinox 600, I have permission to MD at an old farm house from 1903 (117 years old). House and property been in the original family for a few generations. As far as the owners go, they aren't aware of anybody else MD'ing there.

Spent a good two hours at the front of the house and sides. Only yielded one quarter, 1999, and that was towards the top of the front yard at the street. Did dig a lot and got a pocket full of newer nails, tin pieces from the roof/siding, some newer bottle caps and parts of tin cans probably minced from the lawnmower.

I was in Park1 and then Park2 using the corded earphones. An awful lot of chatter when swinging, did a factory reset to see if that would make it quieter and did the noise cancel a few times. When I did find a target, I zeroed in using the pinpoint feature, then placed the detector down on the grass about two feet away and began to dig a plug. The detector always kept making noises the whole time, even though they weren't too loud, it was constant and annoying.

I have watched a lot of videos and have the book by Andy Sabisch, as I am trying to figure this machine out.

Try lowering sensitivity. Check Ground balance first. Be sure your ground balancing over a clean free of target areas. Lower sens until chatter stops. I don't have an Nox, have the 705.

Back
Top Bottom