New Irish Member

Dunambler

Hi and thanks for accepting me. Just joined the forum after visiting it more frequently as of late. I'm from Ireland and have been metal detecting for around two years using various makes of detector. My present detector is a Bounty Hunter, but it's just a fill gap until I can field test a few more advanced machines. In fairness though the Bounty Hunter hasn't let me down yet, so maybe it could be worth holding onto for a little while yet.

The vast majority of my detecting takes place on farmland that was used by allied forces before, during and after WW2. There have been some interesting finds such as razors, wire snips, .303 and .30-06 casings, coins, cutlery, various parts of grenade shrapnel, bullet heads, penknives, ammo cans etc. I can identify most things, but have a couple of photos of a few articles that I cannot identify. I'll post them up in the relevant section and hopefully someone here can help identify them.

Regards,

D

Welcome to the forum. My coworker is from Ireland and his family has lots of land that he said I would be welcome to detect. Perhaps some day I will make it over there. I believe they have some tough laws on detecting though. Anyhow. Good Luck and have fun discovering the past!

Welcome from California

.... I believe they have some tough laws on detecting though....

Hurry, rush out and seek clarification on this. So you can make this a self-fulfilling reality. Hence the vicious circle :roll:

Welcome from Virginia. I enjoyed many stops at Shannon Airport over the years going to and from the Middle East. I always stocked up on Irish cheese and Irish tea.

They sound pretty serious over there... This is a pamphlet put out by the Irish State Police......

Sure. And so-too can I show you oodles of things, by various agencies here in the USA, that "sound pretty serious".

Let's put it this way, by example: One time I had a detector listed for sale on ebay. To my chagrin, the winning bidder was from a European country ! (I had failed to mark the box for USA bidders only). But the fellow paid up front, in addition to extra for the long-distance shipping. So ... no sweat off my back.

In the exchange of communication leading up to my shipping it, I couldn't help but notice that his country was on the compendium list (that someone had assembled, for all the countries of Europe) as being ... like you say ... "pretty serious". So I couldn't help but link him to this and ask "how do you do it ?"

His answer was that whatever you're reading on that list, only applies to public land. And private farmers can do whatever-the-heck they want on their land. So he and his buddies hunt private farmers land, and never have any problems. Or ... he added .... quite frankly, they're so-far back in the woods, that there's "no one around to care, in the first place"

Point being is: A cursory look at the compendium link, would have the casual reader doing exactly as you're doing: Concluding that they're "quite serious over there". Yet .... so long as you mind some P's & Q's, no one is bothered.

Is that to say that if you went asking purist archies there "Can I?" that you wouldn't get a different answer ? OF COURSE NOT. But so too can the same be said of the USA.

Sure. And so-too can I show you oodles of things, by various agencies here in the USA, that "sound pretty serious".

Let's put it this way, by example: One time I had a detector listed for sale on ebay. To my chagrin, the winning bidder was from a European country ! (I had failed to mark the box for USA bidders only). But the fellow paid up front, in addition to extra for the long-distance shipping. So ... no sweat off my back.

In the exchange of communication leading up to my shipping it, I couldn't help but notice that his country was on the compendium list (that someone had assembled, for all the countries of Europe) as being ... like you say ... "pretty serious". So I couldn't help but link him to this and ask "how do you do it ?"

His answer was that whatever you're reading on that list, only applies to public land. And private farmers can do whatever-the-heck they want on their land. So he and his buddies hunt private farmers land, and never have any problems. Or ... he added .... quite frankly, they're so-far back in the woods, that there's "no one around to care, in the first place"

Point being is: A cursory look at the compendium link, would have the casual reader doing exactly as you're doing: Concluding that they're "quite serious over there". Yet .... so long as you mind some P's & Q's, no one is bothered.

Is that to say that if you went asking purist archies there "Can I?" that you wouldn't get a different answer ? OF COURSE NOT. But so too can the same be said of the USA.

I know you are an expert at picking things apart like this. The rules over there are nothing like over here though. Read through it and let me know what you think in a message if you like. I don't want to hijack the OP's post. Maybe a convincing argument could convince me to try out Ireland. Even though I am going to the UK for detecting in a couple weeks...

.... Read through it and let me know what you think......

And I don't doubt it would , as you say .... sound "pretty serious".

So let's do this: You send me a list of a few places you hunt here in the USA. And I'll bet that with a few phone calls, and some google searches, I can assemble a list of rules that touch on your hobby.

And lest you think that "no one really cares about those things" (take, remove, alter, deface, cultural heritage, lost & found, IRS taxes on your profits, etc....) all I need to do is pick up the phone and call whomever is in charge of those places you hunt. And ask "Do you guys really mean this ?". And they will most assuredly tell me "Yes we're pretty serious".

.... The rules over there are nothing like over here though. ....

How do you think those wonderful compendiums were assembled in the first place ? It's all a vicious self-fulling circle :( And the way to get it started, in places where no one cares, nor is it enforced (unless you're snooping on obvious sensitive monuments), is to suggest to people "Gee, I thought it wasn't allowed there". That sends them scurrying to clarify. And asking powers-that-be "Is this serious?" . Lo & behold : The self-fulfilling loop.

Hi all and thanks for the welcomes. The rules around detecting in Ireland are somewhat different between the North of Ireland and the South of Ireland. However, it is generally accepted that if you are on private land with landowners permission and you aren't specifically looking for valuable historical artifacts, then you are grand to tear away. Not many many will bother you as long as you have permission. When you consider the size of Ireland vs its history, it's hard to imagine how so much has gone on and came from such a small piece of land. Our deep and varied history is always sure to keep producing interesting finds when it comes to metal detecting. We're also a gold rich nation, but the location of the bulk of the gold means that you would almost certainly require industrial mining processes to be used for extraction.

Back
Top Bottom