• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Shooting at the park while detecting

Status
Not open for further replies.

halfstep

Elite Member
My wife and I was at a local park yesterday doing some detecting. We detect the park several times a year. Then I heard the muffled sound of gun fire thru my headphones. I stood up and looked back down toward the other end where the basketball court is. There were people running everywhere. I seen a few guys pick up someone off the court and carry them to a car. Then they took off in a hurry. Cops show up and look around. Then they left in a hurry due to another shooting close by.

The tot lots cleared out really quick and my wife and I kept on detecting. I made my way down to the basketball court and seen a small spot of blood on the court.

It is usually a pretty quiet park with lots kids playing. The basketball court is always busy. There is also a baseball field and a football practice field. There are several pavilions and a few different tot lots.

Last weekend, I found 3 rings there. One broken silver ring, one small gold ring and a tungsten ring. My wife found a cheap ring as well.

But you never know what is going to happen when you are out detecting. It is easy to get focused on what you are doing and forget what is happening around you. Wearing headphones cuts you off to the outside world. My wife and I figured since the shooting was already over, no sense and leaving now. So we stayed and it wasn't long, the park was back to normal.

The unlucky guy that was shot was taken to the hospital in critical shape so they medivaced him to a bigger hospital.

Wow, glad you and your wife are okay and hope the guy who got shot recovers.

Just a thought, but after that if you still plan to detect there again in the future you might consider a precaution like one of these -

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=bulletproof+vest&ref=nb_sb_noss_1

It would be interesting to check to see if there is a record showing if that area averages several shootings a year or if that was just a very rare thing for that area.

Wow, glad you and your wife are okay and hope the guy who got shot recovers.

Just a thought, but after that if you still plan to detect there again in the future you might consider a precaution like one of these -

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=bulletproof+vest&ref=nb_sb_noss_1

It would be interesting to check to see if there is a record showing if that area averages several shootings a year or if that was just a very rare thing for that area.

I was born and raised near that park. It is usually a fairly safe park but as time passes, it has gotten worse. But so has most everywhere else. I'll keep going back but will pay more attention to my surroundings.

Well, in certain areas I carry....if it's legal. Just saying, the last thing I would want to do is have to use it! I was a Combat Medic in Iraq for 375 days (3/04'-3/05') and prayed I would never have to take another life, but was prepared to do so.

My wife and I was at a local park yesterday doing some detecting. We detect the park several times a year. Then I heard the muffled sound of gun fire thru my headphones. I stood up and looked back down toward the other end where the basketball court is. There were people running everywhere. I seen a few guys pick up someone off the court and carry them to a car. Then they took off in a hurry. Cops show up and look around. Then they left in a hurry due to another shooting close by.

The tot lots cleared out really quick and my wife and I kept on detecting. I made my way down to the basketball court and seen a small spot of blood on the court.

It is usually a pretty quiet park with lots kids playing. The basketball court is always busy. There is also a baseball field and a football practice field. There are several pavilions and a few different tot lots.

Last weekend, I found 3 rings there. One broken silver ring, one small gold ring and a tungsten ring. My wife found a cheap ring as well.

But you never know what is going to happen when you are out detecting. It is easy to get focused on what you are doing and forget what is happening around you. Wearing headphones cuts you off to the outside world. My wife and I figured since the shooting was already over, no sense and leaving now. So we stayed and it wasn't long, the park was back to normal.

The unlucky guy that was shot was taken to the hospital in critical shape so they medivaced him to a bigger hospital.[/QUOTE

think i'll "take a pass" on your neighborhood!

(h.h.!)
j.t.

shooting in the park

The unlucky guy that was shot was taken to the hospital in critical shape so they medivaced him to a bigger hospital.

Would I be guessing wrong if I guessed you were hunting one of the ST. Louis city parks. I totally stay away from the ST. Louis as well as much of north ST. Louis county for that reason , I know there is lots of history in the old parks there ,sure there are lots of old coins and relics but not worth the risk to me espically with the high murder and crime rates there.

Would I be guessing wrong if I guessed you were hunting one of the ST. Louis city parks. I totally stay away from the ST. Louis as well as much of north ST. Louis county for that reason , I know there is lots of history in the old parks there ,sure there are lots of old coins and relics but not worth the risk to me espically with the high murder and crime rates there.

No to the St' Louis parks. This was about 3 hours south of St' Louis in a town called Poplar Bluff.

Typically it is a fairly quiet and seemingly safe park. Usually there are a lot of families with kids playing in the tot lots. There is a baseball field and a football field that gets used regularly. There is a walking trail that runs thru the park and connects to another park and it gets used a lot.

Apparently someone was on a mission of crime that day. After the park shooting, there were 3 other people shoot nearby the park. The same guy did all the shootings.

Lucky you weren’t hurt. I will not hunt any parks in New Orleans for that reason. I stick to the suburbs but still try to stay aware of my surroundings while wearing my headphones.

park dangers

No to the St' Louis parks. This was about 3 hours south of St' Louis in a town called Poplar Bluff.

Typically it is a fairly quiet and seemingly safe park. Usually there are a lot of families with kids playing in the tot lots. There is a baseball field and a football field that gets used regularly. There is a walking trail that runs thru the park and connects to another park and it gets used a lot.

Apparently someone was on a mission of crime that day. After the park shooting, there were 3 other people shoot nearby the park. The same guy did all the shootings.

Glad to know you weren't crazy enough to be hunting the parks in down town ST. Louis , while there are lots of very old and historic parks down there not worth getting killed over. It is a shame it is that way, sure there are lots of good coins and relics to be found there. Many of those parks were probably heavy hunted in the 80s and 90s before it got so bad. between the high murder and crime rate there now I totally stay away.

Last edited:
Glad to know you weren't crazy enough to be hunting the parks in down town ST. Louis , while there are lots of very old and historic parks down there not worth getting killed over. It is a shame it is that way, sure there are lots of good coins and relics to be found there. Many of those parks were probably heavy hunted in the 80s and 90s before it got so bad. between the high murder and crime rate there now I totally stay away.

Hey, some places you might feel like you need a tank for protection :lol:
detector_transport.jpg

And you kept detecting. I think that's a very Missouri thing to do. 3 times since I moved here I have heard gunfire close, real close and while I'm ducking and hiding every body else is going after the shooter or just go about their business.

The park I usually hunt in isn't in the best neighborhood. There is a lot of vandalism and broken glass. A while back someone set fire to one of the restrooms. The only other one is usually frequently the home of sex addicts.
The other day I saw a couple of young men step over the tape that had been placed around the burnt restroom. I thought that they were park workers but as I got closer I saw that they were spray painting gang signs on the building. They saw me and left. A few days later the park removed the building and it hasn't been replaced. I have seen the police questioning people in the park a number of times. So far I haven't been bothered but I have seriously considered carrying my .38 since Kansas allows concealed carry without a license.

Missouri detecting

And you kept detecting. I think that's a very Missouri thing to do. 3 times since I moved here I have heard gunfire close, real close and while I'm ducking and hiding every body else is going after the shooter or just go about their business.

I live about 30 minutes west of ST. Louis and the difference is like night and day. Still plenty of historic places to hunt , lots of parks , safe with little crime. Just a bit farther out from me is a lot of smaller towns and cities ,many were part of the old route 66 highway , others along the river were once big river front towns when the steam ships ruled , now small cities with a fraction of the population they had in their boom days.

WTH!

Keep thinking positively. Think oppertunity.
Bullets to be found. Shells. Gun? Perhaps some money fallen out his pocket while running. Golden "big man" neckless with gold bar pendant with diamonds inlay?
:laughing::laughing::laughing:

90cm-Chain-GANGSTA-Pendant-Necklace-Men-Jewelry-Gold-Silver-Colo.jpg

Well, in certain areas I carry....if it's legal. Just saying, the last thing I would want to do is have to use it! I was a Combat Medic in Iraq for 375 days (3/04'-3/05') and prayed I would never have to take another life, but was prepared to do so.

Yes, the answer to some fool shooting people is to carry a gun yourself while detecting! Really? Get a grip. If your neighborhood is that bad, stay away!

Yes, the answer to some fool shooting people is to carry a gun yourself while detecting! Really? Get a grip. If your neighborhood is that bad, stay away!

Police officers in your area go around unarmed because it is so safe?

In our county the county keeps basketball courts out of the parks because it attracts violence. The county police advise home owner associations in the county to not put up basketball courts for the same reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom