Shooting at the park while detecting

Status
Not open for further replies.
The bottom line is, nothing will stop gun violence. Anyone that wants a gun, can find a way to get one. They'll be around for hundreds of years, if not longer. Still finding buried or lost treasure, right? Let's beat this dead horse some more......

Can happen everywere everytime as you can see.

Meanwhile i was busy some days ago with family business (no time for detecting), with and for the kids, in daytime.
Been (children just dropped off thank god) waylayed and eventually attacked out of nothing and for nothing by a group of young adults as quickly became clear were looking for trouble. Had to defend myself, and did rather well but was to much eventually. I Couldn't hold off everthing.
Weapons allowed or not isn't the question. People can be a treat for people, so one always has to guard for itself and sometimes needs to defend himself as effective as possible, to at least not lose (to much), no mather what or how. You don't always have a choice if it comes at you. A man has got to do what a man has got to do. Eat or be eaten.

I'm glad i can type this right now. :yes:

Can happen everywere everytime as you can see.

Meanwhile i was busy some days ago with family business (no time for detecting), with and for the kids, in daytime.
Been (children just dropped off thank god) waylayed and eventually attacked out of nothing and for nothing by a group of young adults as quickly became clear were looking for trouble. Had to defend myself, and did rather well but was to much eventually. I Couldn't hold off everthing.
Weapons allowed or not isn't the question. People can be a treat for people, so one always has to guard for itself and sometimes needs to defend himself as effective as possible, to at least not lose (to much), no mather what or how. You don't always have a choice if it comes at you. A man has got to do what a man has got to do. Eat or be eaten.

First, I'm very glad you seem to have come thru that okay, but do you think their motive was to try to rob you or were they just out to rough you up and did they have any weapons ?

. People can be a treat for people, so one always has to guard for itself and sometimes needs to defend himself as effective as possible, to at least not lose (to much), no mather what or how. You don't always have a choice if it comes at you. A man has got to do what a man has got to do. Eat or be eaten.

And that sounds like one of the common reasons given for people to carry guns. God made man, Sam Colt made them equal. He gave women and old folks a fighting chance too.
Glad you are ok

Yes, the answer to some fool shooting people is to carry a gun yourself while detecting! Really? Get a grip. If your neighborhood is that bad, stay away!

I find it sad you think this way.

I think legally carrying a gun is a smart thing to do, yet you seem to look down your nose at those who carry.

Also amazed you would so easily change your lifestyle because of some scum.

You are the one who needs to get a grip.

On reality, that is.

First, I'm very glad you seem to have come thru that okay, but do you think their motive was to try to rob you or were they just out to rough you up and did they have any weapons ?

Probably some annoying and probably drunk looking for trouble. No robbing and no knifes. Mean, and with more on one. Weaklings, as proven because they couldn't win that easy. Cowards. Cockroaches.

And that sounds like one of the common reasons given for people to carry guns. God made man, Sam Colt made them equal. He gave women and old folks a fighting chance too.
Glad you are ok

What should i say? What do you want me to say?
I am trained in self defence. One always learns that what you use can be taken from you and used against you, were you made your attacker more angry with it. If you have something your opponent wil also grab something, to balance the odds.
I believe in needed violence what selfdefence is if there is no other way, and will practice it if needed (as was needed now), but i do not believe in violence for start.

I can not tell about you overthere as i do not live there. In general i understand why one should have a gun and were those laws came from.
But as outsider i also know slightly what's happening. Adn i have some questions with that.

Were does it end? Your opponent wants to win as much as you. Becoming an arms race.
If one robs you he will have a knife.
If you carry a gun your opponent wil get him a gun to. Bigger gun?
If you carry a bigger caliber he will have a bigger caliber to.
If your mag can handle more bullets he will get get him an even bigger.
If he has automatic you want that to to defend yourself.
If you use loaded points he will throw a granade.
Which makes you buy a tank?
And him missiles?
Space defence centre?
Were will it end? We all living in highly armed bunkers afraid from each other and affraid for life? Not my idea of living.

Eventually i hear about shootouts on schools and such with weapons kids overhere would never know were to get them, if they ever would get them. From angry employees shooting around and more. We don't have that kind of problems, or at least rarely.
I also see (news etc) nasty consequences of permitted possession of weapons overthere.

I rather be attacked with fists or a knife then with a gun. I rather be not attacked, but that's nirvana.
As what this topic is about.... Would this topic be here if not bullets flew around but only some fists? :dontthinkso:

What should i say? I am not judging anything, as i already said i do understand and agree partly.
But with what i know, hear and see i think an arms race will not be the wonderfull sollution either. And to be honest, i think you will catch a bullet more quick when your armed then if your not armed. Not everyone can shoot a harmless person, were being armed can give them a reason.
I think there is no fully right answer. Violence is an existing risk which we don't control. And we can not rule out all risks in life but have to live with it as good as we can.

Last edited:
I find it sad you think this way.

I think legally carrying a gun is a smart thing to do, yet you seem to look down your nose at those who carry.

Also amazed you would so easily change your lifestyle because of some scum.

You are the one who needs to get a grip.

On reality, that is.

Beating a dead horse. Let it go. We're all detectorists here who share the same love of this hobby.

My wife and I was at a local park yesterday doing some detecting. We detect the park several times a year. Then I heard the muffled sound of gun fire thru my headphones. I stood up and looked back down toward the other end where the basketball court is. There were people running everywhere. I seen a few guys pick up someone off the court and carry them to a car. Then they took off in a hurry. Cops show up and look around. Then they left in a hurry due to another shooting close by.

The tot lots cleared out really quick and my wife and I kept on detecting. I made my way down to the basketball court and seen a small spot of blood on the court.

It is usually a pretty quiet park with lots kids playing. The basketball court is always busy. There is also a baseball field and a football practice field. There are several pavilions and a few different tot lots.

Last weekend, I found 3 rings there. One broken silver ring, one small gold ring and a tungsten ring. My wife found a cheap ring as well.

But you never know what is going to happen when you are out detecting. It is easy to get focused on what you are doing and forget what is happening around you. Wearing headphones cuts you off to the outside world. My wife and I figured since the shooting was already over, no sense and leaving now. So we stayed and it wasn't long, the park was back to normal.

The unlucky guy that was shot was taken to the hospital in critical shape so they medivaced him to a bigger hospital.

The funny part is, once the shooting was done, you were probably in the SAFEST part of town, at that point, because everyone bolted!! LOL

Skippy

The funny part is, once the shooting was done, you were probably in the SAFEST part of town, at that point, because everyone bolted!! LOL

Skippy

Right after the shooting, people were headed to their cars and leaving as fast as they could. I told my wife that since the shooting is over, there is no need in leaving now. So we stayed and had to park to ourselves for a little while. Then people started trickling back in and it wasn't long, it was back to normal.

Gotta keep it going, don't you? I'm a Bryant College grad, little man. I'm also 6'3" and 200 pounds, so no need for a gun. Little runts ( and psychos) are the ones who feel the need for concealed weapons. Want to drop it now or should we keep going back and forth?

when you make "obtuse" remarks, ya get guys "piling on"
what you state is simply ''your "opinion,and you leave yourself wide open for comment!
if you listened to what you said, you would realize how "numb" your comments really are!

(h.h.!)
j.t.

Gotta keep it going, don't you? I'm a Bryant College grad, little man. I'm also 6'3" and 200 pounds, so no need for a gun. Little runts ( and psychos) are the ones who feel the need for concealed weapons. Want to drop it now or should we keep going back and forth?

Please, stop. I'm sure from laughing at this! You seem to have a rather high opinion of yourself!

What relevance does your education and physical dimensions have to this discussion?

So big and tough and don't believe in carrying guns and like to call names . Can't carry a gun because you used a baseball bat instead. 6-3 and 200 pounds why use the bat since you think your so big and bad? College educated better go back and take the common sense course because I and by the looks of it many others on here think that class was missed.

Intruder was high as a kite and holding a beer bottle. He's lucky I showed mercy on him.

As for you pro gun guys, let it go. This should be a friendly discussion board. I tried to drop it, but you can't seem to let it go.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom