Question on repairing coins (discernable vs indiscernable)

That is one great looking coin..I’m looking for the scratch on the backside of it ,,I can’t see it..The small dimples I see ,probably environmental damage from being in the ground but I can’t see the scratch..Awesome find!

Beautiful coin but are my eyes going bad? Lol I don’t see the scratch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think it's at the bottom edge on the back.

Thanx Chris. That was a few years ago. So I keep griping to Brian that I'm overdue for #16 :laughing: Strangely, I get no sympathy from him, Doh! He's happier now that he's got two, in just the last year or two. A $5 and a $1 now.

Probably missing them skipping those solid 18 (square pull tab) in old parts of Reno.

Probably missing them skipping those solid 18 (square pull tab) in old parts of Reno.

Well, my philosophy about the likeliness of finding a gold coin, is NOT the factor of "what TID signals to chase , blah blah". Instead, it's entirely a function of: Location location location. Because sure, there's places where, when you dig those square pull tab signals, guess what you're 100% going to get ? Square pull tabs and zero percent chance at a gold coin.

But if you're in a stage stop, that faded and no one's stepped foot for 100 yrs. (assuming others haven't beat you to it), then there's zero clad, zero pulltabs, etc....

So TID is only a very miniscule part of the recipe. The much bigger part of the formula is : Location location location.

Well, my philosophy about the likeliness of finding a gold coin, is NOT the factor of "what TID signals to chase , blah blah". Instead, it's entirely a function of: Location location location. Because sure, there's places where, when you dig those square pull tab signals, guess what you're 100% going to get ? Square pull tabs and zero percent chance at a gold coin.

But if you're in a stage stop, that faded and no one's stepped foot for 100 yrs. (assuming others haven't beat you to it), then there's zero clad, zero pulltabs, etc....

So TID is only a very miniscule part of the recipe. The much bigger part of the formula is : Location location location.
What amazes me Tom is that you hit areas (stage stops ) where you don't find tabs , clad , modern trash , etc. So there must be "time period" trash ? Must be some very remote areas. The research must be very tedious to find locations like that. Or sometimes it's easy and you get lucky finding a good spot. Do you ever strike out on sites you do research on ?

What amazes me Tom is that you hit areas (stage stops ) where you don't find tabs , clad , modern trash , etc. So there must be "time period" trash ? Must be some very remote areas. The research must be very tedious to find locations like that. Or sometimes it's easy and you get lucky finding a good spot. Do you ever strike out on sites you do research on ?

Kob, good to hear from you , and great questions :

Yes, these type stage stops, which faded and ceased all-human activity after 1900-ish, are VERY RARE. The typical story is: They gave way to modern farm-houses, or are now under a Kmart parking lot, blah blah.

But yes we have researched and found some that are just faded spots in the boondocks, with nothing modern there. And then yes, the only trash is period-trash (ie.: "fun junk"). Eg.: toe-taps, lantern parts, buttons, rim-fires and pistol balls, etc.... And when you get into sites like that: A perfect penny/dime signal has you "holding your breath", haha And the coins were : reales, and super early seateds. Contrast to if you're hunting urban parks, and get a penny/dime signal, guess what it's going to be ? A modern penny or dime, right ?

I remember finding a virgin adobe site (our west coast version of what east-coasters call "cellar holes"), back in the early 1990s. Just a blemish of barely recognizable landscape scar square outline, in a cow pasture deep in the mountains. And for the next few months, we pulled hundreds of targets out of the site. The "junk" was scores of what we call "green copper". That's the black-smithed green copper snippets. And lots of gilt buttons, etc.... The absolute NEWEST coin to surface, was an 1860s IH. I recall that only on a rare occasion, would a nuisance modern bullet shell be out there. But otherwise, it was as if "time-stood-still" after the 1860s.

Another memorable site was a country picnic site that was used from the 1880s to the mid 1920s. Then ceased all human activity. We pulled about 150 coins from there. And the NEWEST was a mid 1920s merc. Or .... I think there was a nuisance memorial out there, for some reason. But otherwise, every single coin was old. And zero pulltabs, foil, etc... And yes, a $5 gold was among that coin-count :)

Back
Top Bottom