Noob Looking For $ That Was (Likely) Stashed Somewhere On My Property :)

....Unfortunately, his relative who owned the house worked for the railroad and was a bit of a hoarder, so there is quite a bit of junk metal beneath the surface and it would take 5 years to dig every metal target. ...

JB, for starters, while I hope the "treasure" story is true, yet .... be aware that stories like this can become a dime-a-dozen. Neighborhood lore that gets embellished over time. And they all sound *so* compelling . Who can resist a good treasure story after all ? The "what if" factor has us dismissing any skeptical alternatives to the script. But who knows ?

As for the ultra junky yard, I had a similar situation where a guy had buried several jars, around his yard. After he passed away, his next of kin asked me to help locate them. But the junky farm-yard was insane with trash of all sorts .

So the trick to situations like this, is to get yourself a 2-box detector. They are not capable of finding any object smaller than about a soda can sized. Thus will simply not see all the smaller clutter. Because if you try to use a standard detector (like the 705 you allude to), and you think you'll just mentally ignore all the smaller beeps, you will go crazy. You'll be forever spending all-your-time trying to guess big vs little, and digging them all "just to be sure".

So get yourself a 2-box unit, like the Whites TM 808, if you really think there's treasure there.

Thank you all so much for the words of wisdom/food for thought! I’ve definitely got the bug already & regardless of what I do or don’t find on my property, I look forward to taking some trips elsewhere down the road a piece & if nothing else this experience will definitely be a solid MD training course... I’ll be sniffing around every square inch, slowly but surely. Gonna take a while...

The 1/4 SS rod has saved me a ton of time already! I bought a 6' length and bent a triangle shaped handle for leverage. Perfect for hard to reach spots under the outbuilding I've started to search, pain in the ass though it may be :)

Anyone in/close to Nashville want to help check my property?

I'll split it with ya & help dig. I had to part ways with the metal detector I had back in April (it was a loaner) and no longer have the means to look.

If anyone has a 2 box type detector that would be handy, as there is a ton of junk in the yard... Would need to setup a time between now & the end of the month. I am willing to be generous on the split because I wouldnt be finding anything without your help & it would be cool to learn some things about detecting because I would like to buy a nicer detector soon.

I would prefer just working with 1 person. Message me to setup a time to talk on the phone!

Back
Top Bottom