1787 New Jersey Colonial Copper

electrolysis

You performed electrolysis on it? Same setup as if you were doing another metal? I didn't know you could try it on a copper coin.

Thank you!

That’s a nice piece of history you found there. Good save!

Thanks volksbeetle28! I was thinking the same thing. Knowing the close general area it was found, these were the early settlers of our government. It is still hard to believe it survived that long in the ground for some unknown years. Ps. I had a 72 Super Beetle back in the day...lol. It was a great car.

You performed electrolysis on it? Same setup as if you were doing another metal? I didn't know you could try it on a copper coin.

Yes, it certainly brought out the finer details of the shield without there was like nothing. I have to be careful now that I don't over try to clean it.

Awesome find, and one of my dream coins. CONGRATS

Thanks imukdiver! I am still thinking about the coin myself. Luck was with me that hunt for sure.

Go figure. The east coast hunter goes to a "newer school ". And does he therefore find "newer coins " ?? NNEEEOOoooo. He finds a colonial copper ! Sick sick sick. :sissyfight:

Tom, Tom, Tom... Silly Tom...
When we go to newer schools, we do find newer coins. Not chronologically newer. Just coins new to us - you know, old coins we haven't found before.

Thank you!

A super nice recovery John. And you have done a pretty darn nice job on your cleaning of the coin. Huge Congrats! Trapper

Thanks Trapper! I spent about 4 hours cleaning it and I am real pleased how it turned out too. You can just tell where a few pin point size pieces of corrosion flaked off that of the premium pure quality of copper that was used in its makings from the sparkling shininess. I hope to clean it a bit more in the future, but not too much more cleaning.

Nice find! I've never seen one of those before.

Thanks BaldAssCat! I never seen one either until that the day I found it. To me it is like holding a true piece of early American history.

Back
Top Bottom