AT Max or...something else?

Aly

It's been several years since I bought my first detector, a Teknetics EuroTek. I want to upgrade, and also we are wanting to get another detector just so fiance and I can both detect at the same time. With that, I also need a pin-pointer.

I generally enjoy the teknetics, besides getting a lot of ghost targets when I try to do it when it's wet out, and not having a lit display.

So I haven't done a whole lot of research yet, but you guys helped me a ton when I came here years ago with my tiny budget. The AT Max has jumped out at me. The kit comes with the detector, headphones and the pinpointer, and it's right at my budget for those items combined ($750ish). Also different items included depending on where I purchase from like bags, shovels etc, all I could really use the duplicates of to get the two of us set up!

Things I am really looking for:
-Backlit display. We detect at night a LOT.
-Wireless headphones
-Waterproof
-I don't need it to handle saltwater but does need to handle damp soil/mud
-As for what I look for, basically anything buried, lol. No specific goal
-Places are generally backyards, parks, woods and I would like to start going to creek beds and such.

I feel like there is no way I wouldn't be happy with the max, just wondering what else I should look at.

You could buy a Nokta Makro Simplex AND a Minelab Vanquish 540 for the price of an AT Max or several other mid level USA produced detectors. Those are two really nice detectors for the money. The AT Max is also a really nice detector but for the money, will it completely out perform those others and do their features compare equally. I also still have my Teknetics Minuteman which is a rebadged EuroTek Pro. I paid 1/5th the price of the AT Max current price. The AT Max or any other $725 detector is not 4 to 5 times better than the Eurotek Pro. My point here is that you do not have to pay a lot for an excellent detector anymore. We live at a time when our USA detector manufacturers are still producing virtually the same detector that they were in 2010 or earlier but their price has not come down.

I am not saying that one detector is better than another. I'm just saying you can get newer technology with newer features for way over half of the price of these older designed USA detectors. Hopefully this will change soon. Shop carefully and compare features.

Jeff

Simplex looks very interesting! I have been looking at it since the first comment & seeing some other post in the forums. Definitely looking closely at it now.

Call the forum sponsors, if you haven't already. One of their websites has someone online, that will give you some honest advice immediately (during reasonable times). Also, you'll get the best deal talking directly to them. Links are on the top right of this page.

Simplex, 540 or Nox 600. The 600 will give you room to grow.

GLHH

Sent from my Armor_3 using Tapatalk

I would think for what you want it to do the at max is perfect

I tend to agree with the AT Max purchase. I went from the AT Pro to the Equinox 800. Based on my experience if anyone buys an 800 you better stay in the default modes and be very careful on adjusting the settings.

The 800 is very easy to become de-tuned (through monkeying with settings) and turn a productive hunt into a trash only hunt.

I’d get an XP ORX over any of the above. Lightweight and very easy to use and can use it anywhere besides underwater. A great performer with the XP pedigree.
If you need waterproof then the Equinox 600. Good luck!

I tend to agree with the AT Max purchase. I went from the AT Pro to the Equinox 800. Based on my experience if anyone buys an 800 you better stay in the default modes and be very careful on adjusting the settings.

The 800 is very easy to become de-tuned (through monkeying with settings) and turn a productive hunt into a trash only hunt.

The 800.
It will work right out of the box very well. Especially for those that have to brush the dust off ever time they use it but it also has the capability for those that are advanced and actually understand the more technical side of it. One good thing is it is easy to do a factory preset if you do get it out of wack and you can play with each pattern and be able to just do a Factory reset just for that particular pattern. Only having to worry about having only three coils and all three work on all frequency not like older VLF machines you had to change to different coils for frequency change.
Also if you want to go to a single frequency you can.
I do agree that the advanced setting are for those that are advanced in detecting and not just a knob turner (oh this may work).
The NOX can and will grow with you if you want. The ace can’t do that.
Doug

The 800.
It will work right out of the box very well. Especially for those that have to brush the dust off ever time they use it but it also has the capability for those that are advanced and actually understand the more technical side of it. One good thing is it is easy to do a factory preset if you do get it out of wack and you can play with each pattern and be able to just do a Factory reset just for that particular pattern. Only having to worry about having only three coils and all three work on all frequency not like older VLF machines you had to change to different coils for frequency change.
Also if you want to go to a single frequency you can.
I do agree that the advanced setting are for those that are advanced in detecting and not just a knob turner (oh this may work).
The NOX can and will grow with you if you want. The ace can’t do that.
Doug
👍. Well put!

something else

Look at makro multu-kreuzer.Waterproof choose from 3 freq and deep.I've seen them used as low as $325 and it was just released in 2018.Build quality and customer service 2nd to none

Back
Top Bottom