Listen for The Quiet Whispers.

Dan B.

Elite Member
While I was out metal detecting this weekend I came across a very slight Whisper of a high tone. Looking at my vdi there wasn't one. I had a good sound from most every direction and that had my curiosity up so I dug a plug. Once the plug was dug the vdi was reading 17. I place my pin pointer in the hole at about 10 in deep in the sidewall on edge was a matron large cent. Moral of the story. Listen for the slight high pitch.

Once I had the item out of the hole I realized in my sensitivity was only at 12. That is probably why it did not pick up a number.

After that I headed towards the baseball field set up until 12 years ago was the cornfield. Trying to find some lost jewelry from throwing baseballs and taking off the gloves I heard another higher tone 29 to 31. Also to my surprise I found a 1902 s barber quarter. The farmer must have had holes in his pants. But for me winner winner chicken dinner.

Attachments

• IMG_20200107_013244.jpg
    IMG_20200107_013244.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 560
  • IMG_20200107_013519.jpg
    IMG_20200107_013519.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 572
  • IMG_20200105_235003.jpg
    IMG_20200105_235003.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 561
  • IMG_20200105_234710.jpg
    IMG_20200105_234710.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 531
Last edited:
Could you consistently get a tone as you swung? Multiple directions? Did it fluctuate in sound? What detector are you using?

I've mostly walked away from whispers, knowing that I may be giving something up. For me, with an AT Pro, my experience with these are different tones depending on the direction of swing, maybe a tone only in one direction, or none at all on some swings or directions, etc...

Nice finds - Too bad the quarter wasn't a 1901-S, but it's still a nice one.

Awesome save Dan, congrats on the largie . Tom's probably trying to figure out how we are passing these around so fast. lol That Barber is in great shape, one year older you would you would have had a big chicken dinner. I find lowering the sensitivity on the Equinox doesn't hurt depth too much. Again great hunt. HH Mark

Congrats on a great start to the new year! Those are both in really nice shape too!

Yes It is definitely a good start to the year with two beauties like that. Thanks!

This is how I found a couple of my seated coins I've found this year.

It pays off to dig them you never know what it will be.

Nice hunting!

Thanks & GL
Nice finds - Too bad the quarter wasn't a 1901-S, but it's still a nice one.

Attachments

• Get-Smart-Missed-It-By-That-Much.jpg
    Get-Smart-Missed-It-By-That-Much.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 481
Could you consistently get a tone as you swung? Multiple directions? Did it fluctuate in sound? What detector are you using?

I've mostly walked away from whispers, knowing that I may be giving something up. For me, with an AT Pro, my experience with these are different tones depending on the direction of swing, maybe a tone only in one direction, or none at all on some swings or directions, etc...

I I was using the Equinox 600 multi frequency with five tones. I was getting a better tone in one direction over the other. I have learned that if I can hear a good tone to take the chance and dig it. There may be something else in the hole changing the VDI and tone. I hope this is helpful thanks!

Two very nice finds. Congrats!

Those quiet whispers are where its at! I spent my first couple of years in the hobby ignoring those faint tones and just digging the obvious big loud signals. Then finally a light bulb went off in my head as I figured out that those are the ones to be listening for! Sweep slow and listen small.

Awesome save Dan, congrats on the largie . Tom's probably trying to figure out how we are passing these around so fast. lol That Barber is in great shape, one year older you would you would have had a big chicken dinner. I find lowering the sensitivity on the Equinox doesn't hurt depth too much. Again great hunt. HH Mark

Thanks! I love the old dirt because you find old coins. But something with the San Francisco mint mark east of the Mississippi now that's sweet.:yes:

Two very nice finds. Congrats!

Those quiet whispers are where its at! I spent my first couple of years in the hobby ignoring those faint tones and just digging the obvious big loud signals. Then finally a light bulb went off in my head as I figured out that those are the ones to be listening for! Sweep slow and listen small.

I love digging the Whispers. Doesn't take that much time to do it, and never know what it'll be. Good advice thanks!

Congrats on the great finds! Like many others have said those soft high tones are what I strive to pick out among the cacophony of louder beeps and grunts. Nothing perks up my ears, and gives you that oh boy feeling like a nice quite high tone.

.... But something with the San Francisco mint mark east of the Mississippi now that's sweet.:yes:

Ahem ahem : We do not allow our S mints to travel east of the Mississippi. Please kindly package that up, and send it back to me. I will make sure it gets to the proper authorities.

Oh ... and as for your LC : Sick ! :sissyfight:

Back
Top Bottom