Looking for a detector that's good in a trashy area

Dmar

The place I'm talking about has like 3-4 nails in every hole I dig. My budget is around $300

What are you using now? Could be that a different coil would work better, depending on your detector.

What are you using now? Could be that a different coil would work better, depending on your detector.

Using a bounty hunter tracker IV with the small coil. It would be cool to have a detector that gave number values for different metals and stuff. Something with quick recovery and good discrimination would be ideal.

I started with a Teknetics Delta 4000 nearly 10 years ago. It's been a good machine for it's price point. Good TID, with discrimination and pinpointing is spot on. There's one in the classified section here.....or call a sponsor.

Leaning towards the fisher f22. Has anyone tried the f44? It's like $100 more. Not sure if it's worth the extra $100

F44

Leaning towards the fisher f22. Has anyone tried the f44? It's like $100 more. Not sure if it's worth the extra $100

I have the old Fisher F4 which I think was replaced by the F44 and I use a small 4" coil on it in trashy areas and around metal fences and play ground equipment The 4 inch coil might really help in trashy areas . Not sure if there are any major changes the F4 ran on ( 2 ) 9 volt batteries and I think the F44 may use AA batteries.

I had a Fisher F5, used it in a park where every inch was a pulltab or some garbage, small coil and correct setting I was able to eliminate 75-85% of the junk. Can be had used fairly cheap on Flea-bay etc, or davidlhyde63366 F4 might do the trick.

Fisher products

I had a Fisher F5, used it in a park where every inch was a pulltab or some garbage, small coil and correct setting I was able to eliminate 75-85% of the junk. Can be had used fairly cheap on Flea-bay etc, or davidlhyde63366 F4 might do the trick.

Checked out the information on the Fisher F44 seems there are some updates over the Fisher F4 , weather resistant ( not water proof) where the F4 was not , cover mine in plastic if raining , uses 2 AA batteries instead of 2 9 volt batteries so cheaper to run. You might get a deal from one of our sponsors on a trade in F4 , F44 , F5 good dependable machines.. Getting a used one might save enough to get a 2nd small coil for the price you were looking to spend. At the time I bought my Fisher F4 they were listed at around $399.00 I waited till Cabellas sporting goods had a 25% off sale and got mine for around$300.00 .

The F22/F44 is basically a Bounty Hunter Land Ranger Pro in an updated package. They are good detectors but do not have the fastest recovery speed or depth in mineralized dirt or carpet of nails. Can you afford a Teknetics Patriot or a used Teknetics T2? They have much faster recovery speed and better target separation in my opinion. So does the Fisher F19 or Teknetics G2+ if you can find a used one. I think there is T2 being sold in the classifieds on this forum that is in your price range. You would just need the small 5" round DD coil to go with it. Great detector.

Jeff

Get a Nokta Makro Simplex! 254$ and small coils will probably be available soon!

Get a Nokta Makro Simplex! 254$ and small coils will probably be available soon!

The Simplex is going to be a great detector in the trash once they release a small search coil for it. I just got one because I like trying out new detectors. Hands down, it's one of the best-built detectors that I've ever used. As good as it is, it still can't outperform my Deus, Nox, and CTX 3030 so I'll be selling it soon. I don't know how they can sell a waterproof detector of that quality for so little money. I guess that's why it's the top-selling detector now on Amazon.

beephead

Are you not wanting to dig those nails out of the ground? My choice would be to remove them so they don’t mask the good items. Maybe purchase a strong magnet to probe the hole when you pop the plug?

I would keep using the Tracker IV with the 4” coil. That’s just my opinion from using one since 2001. That’s why I have 3 of them in my arsenal of machines. They work really good for the task you are doing. Are you running in tone mode?
After everything is cleaned out down to 4-5 inches with that machine setup, then maybe step up to a different machine, or try some of the NEL/CORS coils that fit the Bounty Hunter machines.

The Simplex so far doesn’t have any small coils in the works. A 9” round is the smallest that they are testing right now. This info is from a MD blogger that recently visited Turkey and interviewed people there.

Good luck in whatever you choose.

Back
Top Bottom