• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Lost Ring, years ago

Dusty Eagle

Forum Supporter
I know I would like to find my high school class ring. I lost mine here in Trego County, Kansas at Cedar Bluff Reservoir State Park on the south side park back in about 1972-1973. We were out enoying the weekend, and I was getting ready to go water skiing. I motioned with my hand to my brother which way on the lake I wanted to go. As I did, I saw my class ring fly. At the time, it was in about 8' of water, about 10' off shore, (the shore line dropped steeply, but was a narrow cove. We spent most of the rest of the day, snorkeling for it. A scuba diver even gave it a shot and helped by marking the area as 'diver's present' so it would be safer to search from other boat traffic. But alas, to no avail. As far as I know, it's still there.

Getting it back would just about give me the same feeling as winning the lottery!... well.. maybe. :roll:

Dusty Eagle

Last edited:
We are always seeing stories of found and returned class rings on this site, so it could happen!!

contemplating a hunting trip

I wonder what my chances would be if I took a weekend trip to the lake to do a little searching for my ring and other finds a the lake. Anyone KNOW what the regulations/rules/laws are for metal detecting at Kansas reservoirs such as Cedar Bluff?

Dusty Eagle

Have you done a search on any Lost Class Ring websites:

http://www.google.com.au/search?sou...s=GGLJ,GGLJ:2008-17,GGLJ:en&q=class+ring+lost

I know I would like to find my high school class ring. I lost mine here in Trego County, Kansas at Cedar Bluff Reservoir State Park on the south side park back in about 1972-1973. We were out enoying the weekend, and I was getting ready to go water skiing. I motioned with my hand to my brother which way on the lake I wanted to go. As I did, I saw my class ring fly. At the time, it was in about 8' of water, about 10' off shore, (the shore line dropped steeply, but was a narrow cove. We spent most of the rest of the day, snorkeling for it. A scuba diver even gave it a shot and helped by marking the area as 'diver's present' so it would be safer to search from other boat traffic. But alas, to no avail. As far as I know, it's still there.

Getting it back would just about give me the same feeling as winning the lottery!... well.. maybe. :roll:

Dusty Eagle

not on their list

Well.. it's not on their list.
Maybe I should organize a search party!
Any one interested in for a weekend search at the lake? :D

Dusty Eagle

Lost ring in Geelong, Australia

One reason I am getting into MDing is a ring I lost here in Nova Scotia. But I just remembered that a sterling ring I still sorely miss was lost by me in a campground in Geelong Australia in 1976 - 1980.

I vaguely remember where we pitched our tent. If someone down under can help, I will look up the exact date in an old journal and provide description.

And offer reward and lifelong thanks....

Dusty is the lake a corp lake? I called the corp about hunting Melvern and was told no problem. I dont think you will have any trouble hunting the lake. Might help to stop at the enterance and tell them what you are doing.

Kansas State Park

It's a state park booker. Cedar Bluff Reservoir in Trego County. I lost the ring just off the shore in the Page Creek camping area on the south side.
http://kdwp.state.ks.us/news/State-Parks/Locations/Cedar-Bluff/Areas/Page-Creek
I don't think they mind metal detecting.. it seems they have a geocaching contest going. The trick will be determining the cove that we often used when we went to the lake, to the current shoreline. And since it's been over 30 years, my memory might have faded some.. ;) But I do plan at least one weekend outing there! I do know I would need a park permit, but those are good for any Kansas State Park/Lake. I would like to get up there before the summer season too. Maybe as early as February.

Dusty Eagle

Your ring is still there right where it landed. What's on the bottom of the lake in that area? Is it mucky, or rocky? If you can get in the water before the spring rains, the water level should be lower unless you get a lot of snow there.

I wonder if I can talk Vlad into going to Kansas. That would be sweet.

party time

The more the merrier!..and the better chances to find my ring too! We'll just have an off-season party.

Dusty Eagle

Hey, keep me posted on the date, sounds like fun! My sister lives in Hays, so I could use that as my half way point, maybe even get her to join me.
GiGi

Before the hack I posted about a ring I been looking for off and on. A friend was having a run of bad luck and thinking it was the ring and he gave it a toss. At the time over 20 years ago it was worth $3000

Contact the office in charge of the lake, many times they will drop the water levels in winter for dock and dam repair or weed control. Many of the lakes in CT are lowered in winter, sometimes several feet. They may have something planned in the next year or so and you would have a good shot at finding your ring. Best of luck to you.

Cedar Bluff office

rascal: That's ok.. we'll forgive you.. this time.;)

I sent an email off to the Cedar Bluff Park office, but I haven't heard back from them regarding their regulations about metal detecting. They may have fowarded to the state office... or ??? :?:
Maybe THEY are out metal detecting the Page Creek area for MY ring!
:shock:...:mad:
Dusty Eagle

I don't have a water detector but I'll bring the MXT and hunt the shore area. Or maybe I'll just sit on the shore drink beer and enjoy the company. :D Ice

Back
Top Bottom