Never thought it'd happen to me...

TheCoilist

Elite Member
Unfortunately, this can't be solved with a metal detector!

My fiance lost her engagement ring this morning. Put it on the window sill and washed the dishes and then took a shower. She returned to find the ring missing.

We have a kitten who hopefully was the culprit. However we also have a 5 year old girl who is taken over by the devil at times. And she has pulled a stunt like this before with other things. So the ring is lost or hidden somewhere in the house.

Anyone know how to coax a 5 year old to tell the truth? She doesn't do this very often... truth that is. :mad:

ask her about it and see where she looks might give you a clue
does the cat climb in the window sill might have knocked it down the drain
should be in the trap hope it didnt go in the garbage disposal and get ground up:(

tell your little girl that you found the ring

after a while she'll start thinking "hey I thought I hid that pretty good!" and she'll go to check if it's still where she hid it - watch her like a hawk

this has worked with my 5 year old son

...or it's in the drain trap

ask her about it and see where she looks might give you a clue
does the cat climb in the window sill might have knocked it down the drain
should be in the trap hope it didnt go in the garbage disposal and get ground up:(
I am at work today 50 miles away. My fiance claims it is not in the disposal as she said she checked there. The cat HAS started jumping on the counter, however the ring was sitting on a window sil under the blinds which were mostly closed with a gap between the sil and blinds. I am not thinking the cat got it. As for asking her about it, she denies everything. BUT the step stool was next to the sink and she did see my fiance put the ring up on the window.

tell your little girl that you found the ring

after a while she'll start thinking "hey I thought I hid that pretty good!" and she'll go to check if it's still where she hid it - watch her like a hawk

this has worked with my 5 year old son

...or it's in the drain trap

She's a little smarter than that unfortunately. She'll ask where we found it or ask to see it. See the last time she took something we asked her about it and it mysteriously reappeared in a drawer. Of course this was something a lot larger. The ring on the other hand... may be somewhere and now accessible to the cats.

UGH, where is my diamond detector!?

Careful though... I once thought my son did something and "knew" he had to of...but in the end it wasn't him at all, and I felt bad for accusing him :)

Hope you find her ring, either way... Just assure your daughter that she isn't in trouble and make it a game and see if she can help you find it!

Hmmm....

Perhaps it might magically re-appear if due to it's loss your daughter is going to miss out on an activity (or activities) she really enjoys...???

I was thinking along the lines of a "Well, we were planning to go to the movies tomorrow, --- " (or the roller rink, or Zoo, or amusement park, or whatever would tickle her fancy the most) --- " but since we have to buy a new ring now, we can't afford to go, so we'll just be hanging out at home."

???

My cat can amazingly see tiny items to paw, some of which I'd have sworn could not have been detected at such an angle. They are quite the canny creature. If that ring had a chance to gleam out reflections, even teeny tiny, don't doubt a cat to get at it. The cat wouldn't swallow it though. Look under the frig and any cranny you haven't look at yet. I have sat and watched my cat eyeball and reach to get stuff on a counter top that wasn't really visable. I don't know how the heck they can do that :?:

The child logical done it being her history so far. My dad woulda had those kinds of problems resolved with us "little kids" after the beginning events from before when this trend started, and yes...the unaccepted ways of today's thinking. Those events stopped right there though, I'll tell ya that. Dishonest was not good with my dad.

I'd wonder if the girl may have taken the ring to whatever school she goes to, be it kindergarden, daycare or public school. Heck, it might actually be out in the ground. Kids are unpredictable.

Hopefully you will find it under the frig though. Cats can swat stuff like that way into other rooms as well. The step stool lead me back to the kid though. I like kids, as long as they're someone elses. martin

Hmmm....

Perhaps it might magically re-appear if due to it's loss your daughter is going to miss out on an activity (or activities) she really enjoys...???

I was thinking along the lines of a "Well, we were planning to go to the movies tomorrow, --- " (or the roller rink, or Zoo, or amusement park, or whatever would tickle her fancy the most) --- " but since we have to buy a new ring now, we can't afford to go, so we'll just be hanging out at home."

???

Well, this won't work. And I will tell you why in the reply below.

My cat can amazingly see tiny items to paw, some of which I'd have sworn could not have been detected at such an angle. They are quite the canny creature. If that ring had a chance to gleam out reflections, even teeny tiny, don't doubt a cat to get at it. The cat wouldn't swallow it though. Look under the frig and any cranny you haven't look at yet. I have sat and watched my cat eyeball and reach to get stuff on a counter top that wasn't really visable. I don't know how the heck they can do that :?:

The child logical done it being her history so far. My dad woulda had those kinds of problems resolved with us "little kids" after the beginning events from before when this trend started, and yes...the unaccepted ways of today's thinking. Those events stopped right there though, I'll tell ya that. Dishonest was not good with my dad.

I'd wonder if the girl may have taken the ring to whatever school she goes to, be it kindergarden, daycare or public school. Heck, it might actually be out in the ground. Kids are unpredictable.

Hopefully you will find it under the frig though. Cats can swat stuff like that way into other rooms as well. The step stool lead me back to the kid though. I like kids, as long as they're someone elses. martin

I am hoping it's the cat honestly. But I know for a fact the ring is in the house. Fortunately (or unfortunately depending on the situation) the little one was out of school today for a teacher in-service. She is my step-daughter, and there is a family history of problems and disorders on from the biological father... needless to say he took his own life in part because of these problems. So, being the only dad she knows I don't take kindly to dishonesty. Her punishments are just, but lately she's been demonstrating problems in school as well and the schools approach to handling the situation is "positive reeinforcement". This does NOT work with our daughter. If she's punished she learns a little bit more. Our punishment has gone from spankings to removal of toys and fun things to having her sit and write sentences over and over. We are still on the sentences. She could care less and makes comments about the spankings not hurting and blah. So we have her do sentences.

She has sentences this weekend to do, so I think if we make mention to her she'll have to do more, it might mysteriously appear. At least while she's working on her sentences, we can look for the ring without much more distraction. I just hope the kitten has not stashed this ring in a place were it may look like the kiddo might have stashed it. LOL talk about wrong place wrong time. haha

Tell her No More YO GABBA GABBA for her!!! :D ( a kids sow )

lol she's more into Dino Dan, but YGG is a close 2nd

edit: btw she wants to be a paleontologist. she's too smart for her own good.

Tell her that the Santa Clause birds probably saw her if she took it, and the only way to get back on Santa's "nice" is to return the ring...

Santa is like God to children...

A Pro-Pointer does "see" nails and such, but may still be of help in dresser drawers & checking pockets of clothes that are hanging up...

Tell her that the Santa Clause birds probably saw her if she took it, and the only way to get back on Santa's "nice" is to return the ring...

Santa is like God to children...

She could care less about Santa. She's weird. Plus she knows that that is a long way away. She's more instant gratification type otherwise it doesn't phase her one bit.

A Pro-Pointer does "see" nails and such, but may still be of help in dresser drawers & checking pockets of clothes that are hanging up...

This is true.

Simple answer... you blame it on the cat, and offer a nice reward to who can find where "the cat put it." All of you look, and then if she finds it you can work on the lying thing by asking her if she really deserves the reward.

Back
Top Bottom