Why do detectorists waste great stories?

I really don't think the local paper, or any media, is going to accurately depict what we do. They are only going to focus on the parts that would be of the greatest interest. It wouldn't be a documentary, it would cut and trimmed, to fit in the space available. A human interest bit, would mostly focus on what was found, and the emotional reunion. Really don't see how pointing how rare the occurrence is, or how many hours, holes, and pulltab finds were put in, before stumbling across a personal item, that could be returned. And of course, we would want to avoid statements about 'usually' keeping such items, and just feeling generous that day...

Good point. However, smaller community papers allow guest columns, and there the writer has lots of control. I think it could turn out more realistic in that case. But if you just turn a reporter loose - the detectorists' role would be subdued.

I would rather do good for the sake of doing good and be quiet about it. No need to impress anyone. Best to be that silent angel.

I would rather do good for the sake of doing good and be quiet about it. No need to impress anyone. Best to be that silent angel.

That's exactly how I do it, just a 'thank you' is all I want and need.

I was not going to post this but maybe you could use an example....Just two days ago, my buddy found a phone and so did I on the beach. The phone owners call their phones and we returned the phones to the owners, now my buddys owner drives a beat up car and offers him "a couple of bucks", my buddy declines. Now, the owner of the phone I have meets me at a CVS and pulls up in a Mercedes, offers me a $50 reward for his apple phone. I accept and asked him to donate the full amount into a collection box at the pharmacy. This donation box was set up for a girl that works there, she just lost her 19 yo daughter in a car crash a week ago. He gladly deposited the $50 into the donation box and he got his phone back BTW, I had donated 3 days ago a $20 after paying over $300 for my meds. We do what we can, not for glory but for something much better. To feel good about one's self.

Me and my buddy do stuff like this all the time, without telling a soul, except each other.

I sensed a misunderstanding in some of the recent replies. I am not trying to get "glory" for returning the rings and lost items through the PR. "Acts of random kindness" would more align with my philosophy. But this silence means that nobody knows the truth.

My concerns are for the HOBBY. I was thinking about the slowly eroding freedoms we have as detectorists and how we might begin to build some defense against it by helping the general public realize that we are taking the high road, not only with rings and lost trinkets, but with sensitive historical areas.

Near me, Louisville has a metal detecting ban in all city parks. All State Parks in KY are off limits to detecting. Sure, state parks represent only ~5% of all land in the state, but some of it is fabulous ground for enjoying our hobby. In my opinion - it should be permit based with serious penalties for breaking the rules. This medium ground is feasible.

The restrictions are based on a simple problem we all have... TRUST. Will we report finds of historical significance? Or pocket them and move along. Even on this thread we have every extreme in answering that question.

I would like the general public to see someone detecting and the first thought they have is that we're "good to have around."

No amount of good stories are going to lift the bans in state parks or federal parks, etc. They ban detecting because they fear we are stealing the states heritage. We won't change that until the heads of the departments change.

For every responsible detectorist, there is probably one strictly for personal gain type out there, who could care less about filling holes, researching legal sites, asking permission, or even consider returning finds.

A new story must create an emotional response in the reader. Negative emotions are much easier to tickle, that's why most news isn't good news. Vandalism in the park, or a trespassing treasure hunter will get more coverage, and priority. Even if we were to make every possible effort, to find the previous owner, or relative, to return every find, before claiming it for our own, I doubt it's going to make a huge difference. We all lose things, and never see it again. When we see where something is found and returned, we think cool, but what happened to my stuff? We aren't out there looking for pulltabs and pennies, and most people have a pretty good idea we are hoping for gold and silver.

The general public will always wonder if we found their valuables, and never said a word, someone who gained, from another's loss. Do people appreciate that we pick up trash, remove sharp metal, or do they notice the holes other's leave behind more? I'd prefer to keep it low profile, not bothering anyone, and no one bothering me. Would you really want to be a celebrity every time you go out hunting? Everyone flocking to your side, wanting to know if you found their stuff, or would call you just as soon as you do? Would some call the cops, wanting the to search you, check your finds, because them believe you just picked up their diamond wedding ring? Sharing publicly occasionally isn't bad, but it should be as rare as, actually finding something you can track down an owner. We are out there, looking for lost things, and we would like to keep the good stuff.

Exactly my point. WHY advertise what we do, cause they are going to shut us down. Keep it to yourself and just enjoy the hobby. In my 20+ years of detecting experience I have learned one thing...Leave well enough alone.

No matter how many good stories we tell, it is not going to change the way we are seen in the public eye. Any good story of returning a find keeps the public thinking we strike gold every time out, which is far from the reality. It is not going to change the minds of the people who make the rules regarding allowing us in hunting areas.

The TV show is only going to help the people who sell the detectors and make us a laughing stock.

Come back to this thread after 3 years of experience in the field, you just might have a different view of publicity. I now have 8 other detectorists on my favorite beach 3 that do not care about filling in holes. The lifeguards are wanting to kick them off the beach for that very reason.

Unlike other hunters, I don't mind having a quick chat with someone on the beach. Sometimes they ask what am I doing and my response is "cleaning the beach". The other question is what is the most expensive thing I have found on the beach, my response is "my x-wife", sorry ladies. It is more of a grass roots approach to promote the hobby.

It saddens me to hear how some detectorists treat the inquisitive public. I know, I know there are times when you gotta get tough. I was even shot at in a park, a 7 yo girl, no less, Thank goodness she used a squirt gun. I so wanted to blow my cool. But that's another story.

I'm done and off to the beach.

Back
Top Bottom