What are the odds? (England)

Doug

Elite Member
On the 8th September 2019 I found a small artefact which I guessed at the time was a silver ear scoop of the medieval period, AD1500-1650.

The overall design of the the artefact had a 'barley-sugar' twisted shaft with a teardrop-shaped concave spoon which reminded me I had found a something with the twisted 'barley-sugar' shaft look about it in the past but with a pointed bit on the end of it.

Going through my finds photograph file I discovered that in September 2017 I had indeed found a small silver artefact which I was sure may have been a tooth pick.

So what are the odds of finding the two bits in a 20 acre field with a 9inch coil 2 years apart?

Thanks for looking.........Doug.

The original photograph from September 2017 of the tooth pick?
e2Zuz9m.jpg

The ear scoop photograph from 8th September 2019
FIUYFcT.jpg

The two pieces side by side photographed today.
Ca4qvA9.jpg

odds are 100%. you found them.

Statistically speaking, anyway.

Probability of a future occurance? Remote.

Great find Doug! Another way to look at it: What are the odds that the two pieces would be anywhere near one another after 500 years of plowing? ;)

The odds, the odds, what could they be?
Considering Doug is behind the coil, the odds are pretty darn good!
I have to say that it would be more likely to find a needle in a haystack (without using a detector):D

Super exciting to find both pieces of something that old that could have been easily never to be found! Neat find !

Than you for kind comments and views.

Personally I think very little skill was involved and it was just luck that I walked over the second piece of the toilet artefact on that day.

...Doug.

Than you for kind comments and views.

Personally I think very little skill was involved and it was just luck that I walked over the second piece of the toilet artefact on that day.

...Doug.

oh heck no. I know that isn't true. There is a LOT Of skill involved. Do you know how many people leave stuff behind when they detect, because they don't think it's worth digging? The skilled ones know how to find the good stuff.

Sure, there was an element of chance to it, but once you got the coil over the object, at that point, it was 100% skill...

Congrats!!!

Skippy

oh heck no. I know that isn't true. There is a LOT Of skill involved. Do you know how many people leave stuff behind when they detect, because they don't think it's worth digging? The skilled ones know how to find the good stuff.

Sure, there was an element of chance to it, but once you got the coil over the object, at that point, it was 100% skill...

Congrats!!!

Skippy

Thank you Skippy for your vote of confidence in me but there again 2 gold coins in one day from one field really must be luck..........?

am18DoH.jpg

S5fGb8i.jpg

Back
Top Bottom