Early day hunt pays off

Detectingman

Woke up at the crack of dawn, loaded up the Delta 4000, and hit my favorite state park. Recently Ohio changed the laws where we can now detect anywhere, used to just be the beach areas. Found a little clad. On the way home decided to hit a local, smaller park. Hit around the basketball court and found some more clad, then hit the baseball field. Due to the bleachers and metal fencing being so close, decided to use All Metal Mode. After leaving the area, went behind the backstop. Ended up turning up this nice 10K ring about two inches down. Stamped 10K 5R. Not sure what the 5R means. Hunting in All Metal Mode is different but very useful at times.

Attachments

• ri.jpg
    ri.jpg
    191.8 KB · Views: 648
Last edited:
Recently Ohio changed the laws where we can now detect anywhere, used to just be the beach areas.

Is this true? Where did you read this? My understanding was that you could only do mowed areas in addition to beaches without permission.

Okay. How flexible are parks on the definition of "mowed areas" I wonder. Probably best to get permission still I imagine if you can.

Not sure, but the other day had a park ranger drive right by me and not say anything. :?:

Okay. How flexible are parks on the definition of "mowed areas" I wonder. Probably best to get permission still I imagine if you can.

Uh, sure. Go seek clarification on the definition of "mowed areas". Be sure to mention "holes", and "dig" and "take" and "remove" and "indian bone". After all, you want them to grasp the ramifications of your question. Right ? Then I'm sure they will "clarify" the answer for you, with a suitable answer.

Not sure, but the other day had a park ranger drive right by me and not say anything. :?:

Really ? Well you know what this means don't you ? It means you didn't ask that park ranger enough "pressing questions". Ok, so hurry, go back and ask. Do the right thing. Make us proud ! :laughing:

Great finds and HOW did Ohio come to change the law? Here in Florida it is strictly salt beaches or private permissions. That is great news!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

First of all I would like to say nice job on the gold ring. It is also good news to hear that Ohio has changed its laws. For the past 3 years once a year I have got in contact with the district office for my area in NW Ohio and requested permission at a state park not far from me.

Congratulations on the ring. Looks like a beauty.

Sent from my LG-V495 using Tapatalk

Congrats on the nice finds AND that they changed the laws !!!! :thumbsup:

Wonder what caused them to change the laws, maybe a relative of one of the lawmakers got a detector :lol:

Uh, sure. Go seek clarification on the definition of "mowed areas". Be sure to mention "holes", and "dig" and "take" and "remove" and "indian bone". After all, you want them to grasp the ramifications of your question. Right ? Then I'm sure they will "clarify" the answer for you, with a suitable answer.

Really ? Well you know what this means don't you ? It means you didn't ask that park ranger enough "pressing questions". Ok, so hurry, go back and ask. Do the right thing. Make us proud ! :laughing:

Yeah, it's always funny when the police or rangers approach.
"Oh here we go again..."
Actually though they all have been cool for the most part. The other night I was detecting and a woman police officer pulled up. She just wanted to make sure I was ok. I was like yeah,just looking for some rings then she left lol.

Great finds and HOW did Ohio come to change the law? Here in Florida it is strictly salt beaches or private permissions. That is great news!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's a good question. If I had to guess detectorists maybe kept harassing them, who knows. So far haven't seen anyone else out in the state parks.

First of all I would like to say nice job on the gold ring. It is also good news to hear that Ohio has changed its laws. For the past 3 years once a year I have got in contact with the district office for my area in NW Ohio and requested permission at a state park not far from me.

Thank you. Yes, if you look at the link I posted just print that out and carry it with you. Basically that is your hunting permit or proof rather! HH

Congratulations on the ring. Looks like a beauty.

Sent from my LG-V495 using Tapatalk

Yeah putting her in the rainy day fund. The Simplex is calling though, so might trade it in.

Congrats on the nice finds AND that they changed the laws !!!! :thumbsup:

Wonder what caused them to change the laws, maybe a relative of one of the lawmakers got a detector :lol:

Yeah. If I remember correctly there were some people trying to make it legal in the parks. Maybe they bribed someone lol

That looks like a nice ring, some good weight a few diamonds. Congratulations.

Thanks! I got to clean it up better but just put it back for right now. Gonna try to get back out there tomorrow time permitting! HH

... She just wanted to make sure I was ok. I was like yeah,just looking for some rings then she left lol....

Sure. And you *might* be inclined to conclude therefore, that your activity was considered benign, harmless, and a non-issue to her. Eh ? Ie.: That md'ing is therefore "allowed", right ?

But as I say, this merely means you didn't ask the questions. To the right superiors on the pecking order of chain of authority, with the right phrasing of the question. Ok, so hurry and go do the right thing now ! :cool:

Sure. And you *might* be inclined to conclude therefore, that your activity was considered benign, harmless, and a non-issue to her. Eh ? Ie.: That md'ing is therefore "allowed", right ?

But as I say, this merely means you didn't ask the questions. To the right superiors on the pecking order of chain of authority, with the right phrasing of the question. Ok, so hurry and go do the right thing now ! :cool:

When I know I am legally allowed to hunt I do so. I think people who go around with their dogs allowing them to !!!! all over the park are the real threat :laughing: Today I had a lookie lou, think she was writing down my license plate. Oh noes... When I first got into detecting I was a little more skiddish, my now I appreciate a good audience lol

When I know I am legally allowed to hunt I do so. I think people who go around with their dogs allowing them to !!!! all over the park are the real threat :laughing:

Today I had a lookie lou, think she was writing down my license plate. Oh noes...
When I first got into detecting I was a little more skiddish, my now I appreciate a good audience lol

Did "Lookie-Lou"s use to make you feel like this ? :laughing:
Tales_to_Astonish_LOOKIE_LOU.jpg

Uh, sure. Go seek clarification on the definition of "mowed areas". Be sure to mention "holes", and "dig" and "take" and "remove" and "indian bone". After all, you want them to grasp the ramifications of your question. Right ? Then I'm sure they will "clarify" the answer for you, with a suitable answer.:

Hey Tom, I'm new to these forums and don't know you but I feel like you are pretty cynical about the authorities when it comes to metal detecting. Could I ask why? Seems to me that building a good relationship with your local park districts and officials is a smart thing to do. Why risk getting your detector or finds confiscated by an overzealous park ranger? You seem to be more in the it's easier to ask forgiveness than permission camp. Why is that?

Back
Top Bottom