Simplex+ USA Waiting Thread

ghound said:
Monte, folk can dress it up any way they like, it's a fixed single frequency detector, same as hundreds of other detectors, but in a waterproof housing and at an entry level price.
True, it is a single frequency, and also true that the majority of motion-based discriminating detectors out there, and certainly offered today, are single frequency operation. That said, viewing any Forum and pertaining to almost any brand detector, there are good finds being made daily by men and women, younger, older and in between, thanks to the performance of a good single-frequency detector.

Also noteworthy to me was the fact Nokta / Makro developers selects 12 kHz as the Simplex+. A frequency close to ideal according to George Payne, a former well known metal detector engineer. Since most detectors are used for Coin Hunting, or Coin & Jewelry Hunting, George worked to isolate an optimum operating frequency when engineering the Treasure Baron. Something that would work well for low-conductive targets to high-conductive targets. The result? 12.5 kHz.

Well, to me, that made a great fit with the majority of the detectors I was using then and had been using for quite some time. I figured anything within ±2½ kHz would be close to that so-called optimum frequency, so anything from 10 kHz to 15 kHz would make a close fit.

Since '77/'78 I had been using mainly 15 kHz, and in '83 I relied on motion-based Discriminators from Tesoro that operated from 10 kHz to 15 kHz. Most models from other makers that have served me well for gold nugget hunting to silver coin hunting have also fallen in that frequency range.

The 13.77 kHz Compass Scanners, ±13.89 kHz White's MXT, MXT Pro and MX-7, ±13 kHz Teknetics T2 and Fisher F75, 15 kHz Nokta FORS CoRe, 14 kHz Makro Racer 2, and the selectable frequency Nokta / Makro Impact, Multi-Kruzer and Anfibio Multi working at their default turn-on 14 kHz, and XP ORX at 14.4 kHz.

I'll happily match my 15 kHz CoRe or Relic (fixed at 19 kHz) up against a multi-frequency in the terrible iron trash sites I hunt, without hesitation. Sure the simultaneous multi's will find stuff, but I haven't encountered one yet, with settings a savvy user selects, that can better some of the demonstrated performance of my CoRe or Relic. Matter-of-fact, with all the different makes and models I own, none of the others can handle all the testing these two can easily pass.

I have owned and used simultaneous multi-frequency models to include Minelab's BBS Sovereigns, FBS Explorer series, Fisher CZ's, White's DFX, VX3 and V3i, and so far, I haven't been overly impressed with them when it comes to handling the different environments at the challenging sites I hunt.

Do they work? Sure, that's why I owned and used them for certain applications. Does 'simultaneous' automatically make a detector a better all-purpose performer than operating at a single frequency? Definitely not. If it did and single frequency was then sub-par, why would Minelab provide the opportunity to select just one operating frequency?

ghound said:
And being fixed a fixed freq it lacks the sensitivity to certain targets that higher fregs offers, and it lacks the ground filtering in mineralized soil that multi freq offers.
Correct, if all else is comparable in the way of detector model/design and settings and Ground Balance, and only a difference in single frequency used, there can be an observable difference in performance.

That's why if one search is conducted in that 10 to 15 kHz range and then changed to a lower ± 5 kHz frequency or up to something in the ±19-20 kHz frequency, you can sometimes note a difference in results. iI's also based upon the ground signal to deal with and the target's size/shape/conductivity level.

Nothing's perfect. That's one reason I like the model selection I own and use because I can pick-and-choose what works best for where I'm hunting.

That's what everyone should do, find one or more detectors that they enjoy and are comfortable with, then learn them well and get out and use them. Doesn't matter what they might offer compared to the fellow on the other side of the park or field, they are metal detectors. Learn them, use them, find stuff. Pretty simple.

ghound said:
Thats why i suggested he hold on and try the new multi freq from Minelab, as it also comes in at an entry level price which to now has been unheard of, yes it's not fully submersible but has a waterproof coil so can still be used underwater to a certain depth.
Some of the Vanquish are 'entry level" priced and the top dollar model is in the mid-price range by today's standards.

Eliminating buying a used unit, and considering the features and performance you get for the dollar invested, if 'Hordfest' hadn't selected a submersible Simplex+ and his lower investment amount, I would have suggested he consider a model for just slightly more that would provide excellent all-purpose potential and have a very good search coil selection. Matter of fact, I have one in my own Detector Outfit that I enjoy, and that is the Makro Racer 2. I keep a 7" Concentric mounted full-time, and it, too, runs circles around a lot of the competitors out there that list for a few hundred dollars more.

ghound said:
Here's a simple vid of the difference between 30khz and 15khz on a gold coin in tough dirt, you don't want to missing these type of targets, even with an entry level detector!
I watched the video which told me nothing new. I have used both the Vista Smart and Gold on an assortment of sample targets, to include a smaller-size and lower-conductive coin. The Gold was easily the winner, but it wasn't just a frequency difference. The owner of those two models and I compared other detectors on the sample as well. The Gold did well, but so did the 10 kHz Bandido microMAX, 13-14 kHz MX-7, 14 kHz Racer 2, 14.4 kHx ORX, 15 kHz CoRe ...all of which easily bested the Smart and were all using smaller-size coils.

Besides, in the video I didn't see the settings used, nor did I see either model go through a Ground Balance adjustment, and that alone could make a difference in the video's results.

Well, it's warmed up to 43° under a mostly sunny sky, winds are calm, and I have four of my wonderful single-frequency detectors loaded in my vehicle so I'm going hunting. I hope you have the time and opportunity to do the same. Best of success to you.

Monte

ghound said:
Monte, folk can dress it up any way they like, it's a fixed single frequency detector, same as hundreds of other detectors, but in a waterproof housing and at an entry level price.
True, it is a single frequency, and also true that the majority of motion-based discriminating detectors out there, and certainly offered today, are single frequency operation. That said, viewing any Forum and pertaining to almost any brand detector, there are good finds being made daily by men and women, younger, older and in between, thanks to the performance of a good single-frequency detector.

Also noteworthy to me was the fact Nokta / Makro developers selects 12 kHz as the Simplex+. A frequency close to ideal according to George Payne, a former well known metal detector engineer. Since most detectors are used for Coin Hunting, or Coin & Jewelry Hunting, George worked to isolate an optimum operating frequency when engineering the Treasure Baron. Something that would work well for low-conductive targets to high-conductive targets. The result? 12.5 kHz.

Well, to me, that made a great fit with the majority of the detectors I was using then and had been using for quite some time. I figured anything within ±2½ kHz would be close to that so-called optimum frequency, so anything from 10 kHz to 15 kHz would make a close fit.

Since '77/'78 I had been using mainly 15 kHz, and in '83 I relied on motion-based Discriminators from Tesoro that operated from 10 kHz to 15 kHz. And most models from other makers that have served me well for gold nugget hunting to silver coin hunting have also fallen in that frequency range.

The 13.77 kHz Compass Scanners, ±13.89 kHz White's MXT, MXT Pro and MX-7, ±13 kHz Teknetics T2 and Fisher F75, 15 kHz Nokta FORS CoRe,14 kHz Makro Racer 2, and the selectable frequency Nokta / Makro Impact, Multi-Kruzer and Anfibio Multi working at their default turn-on 14 kHz, and XP ORX at 14.4 kHz.

I'll happily match my CoRe or Relic (fixed at 19 kHz) up against a multi-frequency in the terrible iron trash sites I hunt, without hesitation. Sure the simultaneous multi's will find stuff, but I haven't encountered one yet, with settings a savvy user selects that can better some of the demonstrated performance of my CoRe or Relic. Matter-of-fact, with all the different makes and models I own, none of the others can handle all the testing these two can easily pass.

I have owned and used simultaneous multi-frequency models to include Minelab's BBS Sovereigns, FBS Explorer series, Fisher CZ's, White's DFX, VX3 and V3i, and so far, I haven't been overly impressed with them when it comes to handling the different environments at the challenging sites I hunt.

Do they work? Sure,, that's why I owned and used them for certain applications. Does 'simultaneous' automatically make a detector a better all-purpose performer than operating at a single frequency? Definitely not. If it did and single frequency was then sub-par, why would Minelab provide the opportunity to select just one operating frequency?

ghound said:
And being fixed a fixed freq it lacks the sensitivity to certain targets that higher fregs offers, and it lacks the ground filtering in mineralized soil that multi freq offers.
Correct, if all else is comparable in the way of detector model/design and settings and Ground Balance, and only a difference in single frequency used, there can be an observable difference in performance.

That's why if one search is conducted in that 10 to 15 kHz range and then changes to a lower ± 5 kHz frequency or up to something in the ±19-20 kHz frequency, you can sometimes note a difference in results. it's also based upon the ground signal to deal with and the targets size/shape/conductivity level.

Nothing's perfect. That's one reason I like the model selection I own and use because I can pick-and-choose what works best for where I'm hunting.

That's what everyone should do, find one or more detectors that they enjoy and are comfortable with, then learn them well and get out and use them. Doesn't matter what they might offer compared to the fellow on the other side of the park or field, they are metal detectors. Learn them, use them, find stuff. Pretty simple.

ghound said:
Thats why i suggested he hold on and try the new multi freq from Minelab, as it also comes in at an entry level price which to now has been unheard of, yes it's not fully submersible but has a waterproof coil so can still be used underwater to a certain depth.
Some of the Vanquish are 'entry level" priced and the top dollar model is in the mid-price range by today's standards.

Eliminating buying a used unit, and considering the features and performance you get for the dollar invested, if 'Hordfest' hadn't selected a submersible Simplex+ and his lower investment amount, I would have suggested he consider a model for just slightly more that would provide excellent all-purpose potential and have a very good search coil selection. matter of fact, I have one in my own Detector Outfit that I enjoy, and that is the Makro Racer 2. I keep a 7" Concentric mounted full-time, and it, too, runs circles around a lot of the competitors out there that list for a few hundred dollars more.

ghound said:
Here's a simple vid of the difference between 30khz and 15khz on a gold coin in tough dirt, you don't want to missing these type of targets, even with an entry level detector!
I watched the video which told me nothing new. I have used both the Vista Smart and Gold on an assortment of sample targets, to include a smaller-size and lower-conductive coin. The Gold was easily the winner, but it wasn't just a frequency difference. The owner of those two models and I compared other detectors on the sample as well. The Gold did well, but so did the 10 kHz Bandido microMAX, 13 kHz MX-7, 14 kHz Racer 2, 14.4 kHx ORX, 15 kHz CoRe ...all of which easily bested the Smart and were all using smaller-size coils.

Besides, in the video I didn't see the settings used, nor did I see either model go through a Ground Balance adjustment, and that alone could make a differences in the video's results.

Well, it's warmed up to 43° under a mostly sunny sky, winds are calm, and I have four of my wonderful single-frequency detectors loaded in my vehicle so I'm going hunting. I hope you have the time and opportunity to do the same. Best of success to you.

Monte

I guess we will know that the Simplex+ shipment has made it to the US the day they start showing up on eBay for 400 to 500 bucks, like the one showed up on UK eBay last we at around that price.

There's a reason the majority of detectorists in my area are swinging multi IQ, here's just one instance.
One of my detecting buddies has been hitting this particular small field (7+bars on deus mineral scale) on and off for near 30yrs with multiple machines, and he's found loads of high conductor coins mostly 1700-1800 era, but the little cut quarter in the pic was the first 1200's hammered silver to come off it and it was with the Nox running field 2.
Since then we have both dug several more hammered on the same field, aswell as on our other hunted out permissions with our equinox's, and its been a similar story from many in our detecting community, multi IQ is finding what single freqs couldn't.
Certainly 12khz may be a good all rounder, but not necessarily the best, eg the ideal freq for the cut coin in my picture is approximately 22khz.
Good luck with your hunt.

Since '77/'78 I had been using mainly 15 kHz, and in '83 I relied on motion-based Discriminators from Tesoro that operated from 10 kHz to 15 kHz. And most models from other makers that have served me well for gold nugget hunting to silver coin hunting have also fallen in that frequency range.

The 13.77 kHz Compass Scanners, ±13.89 kHz White's MXT, MXT Pro and MX-7, ±13 kHz Teknetics T2 and Fisher F75, 15 kHz Nokta FORS CoRe,14 kHz Makro Racer 2, and the selectable frequency Nokta / Makro Impact, Multi-Kruzer and Anfibio Multi working at their default turn-on 14 kHz, and XP ORX at 14.4 kHz.

I'll happily match my CoRe or Relic (fixed at 19 kHz) up against a multi-frequency in the terrible iron trash sites I hunt, without hesitation. Sure the simultaneous multi's will find stuff, but I haven't encountered one yet, with settings a savvy user selects that can better some of the demonstrated performance of my CoRe or Relic. Matter-of-fact, with all the different makes and models I own, none of the others can handle all the testing these two can easily pass.

Do they work? Sure,, that's why I owned and used them for certain applications. Does 'simultaneous' automatically make a detector a better all-purpose performer than operating at a single frequency? Definitely not. If it did and single frequency was then sub-par, why would Minelab provide the opportunity to select just one operating frequency?

That's why if one search is conducted in that 10 to 15 kHz range and then changes to a lower ± 5 kHz frequency or up to something in the ±19-20 kHz frequency, you can sometimes note a difference in results. it's also based upon the ground signal to deal with and the targets size/shape/conductivity level.

Eliminating buying a used unit, and considering the features and performance you get for the dollar invested, if 'Hordfest' hadn't selected a submersible Simplex+ and his lower investment amount, I would have suggested he consider a model for just slightly more that would provide excellent all-purpose potential and have a very good search coil selection. matter of fact, I have one in my own Detector Outfit that I enjoy, and that is the Makro Racer 2. I keep a 7" Concentric mounted full-time, and it, too, runs circles around a lot of the competitors out there that list for a few hundred dollars more.

I watched the video which told me nothing new. I have used both the Vista Smart and Gold on an assortment of sample targets, to include a smaller-size and lower-conductive coin. The Gold was easily the winner, but it wasn't just a frequency difference. The owner of those two models and I compared other detectors on the sample as well. The Gold did well, but so did the 10 kHz Bandido microMAX, 13 kHz MX-7, 14 kHz Racer 2, 14.4 kHx ORX, 15 kHz CoRe ...all of which easily bested the Smart and were all using smaller-size coils.

Besides, in the video I didn't see the settings used, nor did I see either model go through a Ground Balance adjustment, and that alone could make a differences in the video's results.

Monte

Attachments

• 20190907_083849-600x800.jpg
    20190907_083849-600x800.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 427
  • 20190907_100414_zpsgnglnev0_edit_1567848913335-800x795.jpg
    20190907_100414_zpsgnglnev0_edit_1567848913335-800x795.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 424
There's a reason the majority of detectorists in my area are swinging multi IQ, here's just one instance.
One of my detecting buddies has been hitting this particular small field (7+bars on deus mineral scale) on and off for near 30yrs with multiple machines, and he's found loads of high conductor coins mostly 1700-1800 era, but the little cut quarter in the pic was the first 1200's hammered silver to come off it and it was with the Nox running field 2.
Since then we have both dug several more hammered on the same field, aswell as on our other hunted out permissions with our equinox's, and its been a similar story from many in our detecting community, multi IQ is finding what single freqs couldn't.
Certainly 12khz may be a good all rounder, but not necessarily the best, eg the ideal freq for the cut coin in my picture is approximately 22khz.
Good luck with your hunt.

I wish they would have given the Equinox decent physical build quality.

The low quality, flimsy construction is what kept me from buying it.

So Monte and ghound, what are your recommendations then for a detector under $400 if one wanted to buy one today and not wait for the Vanquish or Simplex+? Just curious.

The issue with that is it's not under $400 unless you find one used, and it's always a gamble buying a used machine...

Talk to a sponsor here, ill bet you can find one darn close to 400$! Ive had my AT gold for 7 years, still going strong. Garrett's customer service is pretty awesome too! I own a Garrett and a Minelab explorer, so I'm not biased toward one brand by any means. I just know what works for me and the type of hunting I do. Ive used many different machines to figure out which I like best. The AT series is a tough machine to beat for the price currently. When the simplex DOES come out, ill bet that changes though. Good luck, and keep us posted on your decision!

Talk to a sponsor here, ill bet you can find one darn close to 400$! Ive had my AT gold for 7 years, still going strong. Garrett's customer service is pretty awesome too! I own a Garrett and a Minelab explorer, so I'm not biased toward one brand by any means. I just know what works for me and the type of hunting I do. Ive used many different machines to figure out which I like best. The AT series is a tough machine to beat for the price currently. When the simplex DOES come out, ill bet that changes though. Good luck, and keep us posted on your decision!

Thanks for your thoughts. Garrett also has the Ace 400 with Garrett propointer at and headphones for $386 right now due to 55th birthday special which is definitely tempting too since the Garret at proointer is normally $120 new.

Last edited:
After

<<<Deleted by Admin>>> most likely won't buy a single frequincy machine , i have a F75 SE sitting in the closet at 13 khzs for 2 years , as single frequincy machines are slowly phasing out , the Minelab Vanquish is multi frequincy , i would consider buying one of them with a better 3 year- warranty instead :research:

Earl, leave politics outside the forum.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for your thoughts. Garrett also has the Ace 400 with Garrett pinpointer and headphones for under $400 right now which is definitely tempting too!

The Garrett Ace 400 was my first Metal detector when I started in April 2017. I very much enjoyed it as a starter machine, and it certainly provided enough finds and enjoyment to get me thoroughly hooked on the hobby. Stone-cold easy to use and simple to learn - truly a “turn on and go” detector. And for the time, it featured nice performance for the price. That said, I “outgrew” the Ace 400 fairly quickly - I was soon interested in gaining more depth, separation, and ground balancing capability (one major drawback of the Ace series, in my opinion, is lack of adjustable ground balance).

Newcomer models like the Simplex and Vanquish are clearly aimed dead center at existing machines like the Ace series. If their performance in the field is only equal to the Ace series, then the Simplex and Vanquish will be a much better value for the extra features they offer. But I suspect that the Simplex and Vanquish will both prove to easily deliver even better overall detecting performance than the Ace 400, creating even more of a discrepancy in value.

As someone who loved his Ace 400, I recognize that Garrett is going to have a hard time selling the Ace series to anyone who does their research before getting into the hobby once these new machines become readily available in the market.

The Garrett Ace 400 was my first Metal detector when I started in April 2017. I very much enjoyed it as a starter machine, and it certainly provided enough finds and enjoyment to get me thoroughly hooked on the hobby. Stone-cold easy to use and simple to learn - truly a “turn on and go” detector. And for the time, it featured nice performance for the price. That said, I “outgrew” the Ace 400 fairly quickly - I was soon interested in gaining more depth, separation, and ground balancing capability (one major drawback of the Ace series, in my opinion, is lack of adjustable ground balance).

Newcomer models like the Simplex and Vanquish are clearly aimed dead center at existing machines like the Ace series. If their performance in the field is only equal to the Ace series, then the Simplex and Vanquish will be a much better value for the extra features they offer. But I suspect that the Simplex and Vanquish will both prove to easily deliver even better overall detecting performance than the Ace 400, creating even more of a discrepancy in value.

As someone who loved his Ace 400, I recognize that Garrett is going to have a hard time selling the Ace series to anyone who does their research before getting into the hobby once these new machines become readily available in the market.

Thanks for your thoughts on the 400. Sounds like I need to just be patient or try to find a used AT Pro at a reasonable price. It's just tough because I REALLY want to get to get out before the Ohio winter hits and am worried this Simplex is going to be later than I am hoping.

My reason for buying the Simplex+ is because I already have the Equinox. :lol:
To me it looks like a quality detector and performer at a great entry price. I believe the OP made a good choice for his first detector. Good luck with it and Thank you Nokta/Makro!

Last edited:
If i was in the US, and going in the water, probably a 2nd hand AT Gold..
Where i am in the UK, probably a 2nd hand Rutus Alter 71 or a higher freq Golden Mask.

The issue with that is it's not under $400 unless you find one used, and it's always a gamble buying a used machine...

To be fair we're quite rough with our detectors, they get turfed in the truck and neglected somewhat, and so far no damage, but i have seen one broken below the screen recently from an accidental fall.
I would like a tele shaft for mine though, looks handy.

I wish they would have given the Equinox decent physical build quality.

The low quality, flimsy construction is what kept me from buying it.

Attachments

• 20190928_154352-800x600.jpg
    20190928_154352-800x600.jpg
    152.3 KB · Views: 313
Beach Hunter

But the single frequincy machines loose depth in the Salt , can't compare to the Nox multi frequincy machine in a salt water invironment , admit the Ace swinger's are scratching there head's :lol:, however any video's can be doctored up, edited to make any detector stand out, my opinion the Ace series are proven performer's , this machine has not been released in the US yet, all hype. Lets watch and :yikes:

I would never hold a company accountable for the actions of it's leaders unless that company was state-owned and controlled. It would be ridiculous for a citizen of Turkey to not buy a Garrett detector because they disagree with Trump for example. Garrett has nothing to do with Trump. Similarly, I don't blame Nokta for the actions of Ergodan. The only concern I would have is if sanctions include metal detectors but I don't see why they would, so at this point the discussion is mostly pointless and "what if" counterfactuals.

Dilek, my only question would be can you confirm Burak's statement regarding whether or not shipments to USA distributors have been sent yet? (If it's in the video, I apologize as I won't be able to watch it until I get off work.)

Not offending

Anyone here , I was referring to a video the forum Administrator posted Simplex + VS Nox 800 , as far as the smilies go they are on here to use, you complained about my post being political so I edited the country out, my mistake as posted , without being a sponsor , Sales & marketing are limited here ,may I suggest backing off a bit on insulting members , than become a sponsor , the last thing you want to do is be rude to long term members or newbies , as for your last two posts , it looks like your heading in that direction , let me know , I edited my post, apologized , last post , I am not going to engage in an argument here over a hyped up single frequency machine that's not out in the US yet, let the members decide , when it comes out , as for the Simplex + VS the Nox 800 video posted by the Administrator , take it out on him if you have an issue , no problem here, I can take my F75 se out of the closet that's over- 10 years old and beat the Simplex +, - in depth , have a nice day.

Earl,
  1. What Forum Admin here posted a video about Simplex vs Nox 800?
  2. Don't be coy about the misuse of smileys. Repeated offense will get you banned.
  3. It's not you job to try to talk people into becoming a sponsor.
  4. May I sugest you yourself back off?

Back
Top Bottom