Oct 20, 2019 ~ MTHA Open Hunt (Massachusetts) UPDATED Announcement

Half-way to registration cut-off of 80

Well, almost. As mentioned in my original announcement, the club has set a limit this year of 80 hunters for those who sign up for both morning AND afternoon hunts.
As of this morning, we are at 39 "full day" hunters and one half day hunter.

Here are our FMDF Forum members already signed up:
- cellrdwellr
- diggin4clad & Sue P.
- Ron_71 & wife
- Noreaster & nephew
- Dirty-Bob
- FreeBirdTim
- TrenchKnife
- Tankerhoosen
- BottleCapKing
- jimther (me)
- a few other names I don't recognize as Forum members, but you might be.

Got our first New York registration yesterday (St. James, on Long Island) That's about 140 driving miles.

Any other forum members signing up that I'm not aware of? PM me if you prefer.

REMEMBER: If we don't reach our 80-person limit by the October 20th Hunt Day, Walk-In hunters pay $50 per hunt

FULL DAY REGISTRATIONS Received BEFORE October 5th QUALIFY FOR ADD’L PRIZE DRAWING

Last edited:
Head count now at 48...

... toward the 80 person limit on Full-day (morning & afternoon) hunters for this event. Our web site has not been updated to show this new count yet.

If you are thinking of signing up, think about acting soon, because historically, our registrations start pouring in during the last month before the hunt.

Here's a link to the main hunt information page, with the Growing Prize List at the bottom of the page: https://registration.masstreasure.com/

Jim

hold on ... less than 2 hours hunt?

The description of the event leads me to believe my detecting time is both limited and localized.

could this event be classified as a competition ?

-TK

The description of the event leads me to believe my detecting time is both limited and localized.

could this event be classified as a competition ?

-TK
Hi TK and thanks for your question.

Limited & Localized ? Right, on both counts. Because there are different things happening throughout the day on the schedule, i.e., start times for the hunts, prize claiming, raffles, lunch etc., each scheduled event has to be completed within a semi-flexible or "Limited" time window. "Localized", in that the beach area for our hunt has been roped off, so that hunters know where targets have been seeded. Also, there are other parts of the beach that are still open to the general public.

"Classified as a competition" ? I guess if you are swinging your coil and recovering targets as rapidly as possible to maximize your silver, clad and prize token recoveries, you can consider yourself in competition with every other hunter on the beach for the most recoveries and best chances of winning the most prizes.

Hope I've interpreted your questions correctly and answered them adequately.

Are you in New England or New York?

Jim

Last edited:
Hope I've interpreted your questions correctly and answered them adequately.
Are you in New England or New York?
Jim

Yes, that covers it ...

I'm in CT, new(er) to metal detecting and was eyeballing several "local" events this late summer/early fall. One that has come and gone, 'Fall silver search' and 'pound the ground'.

Well, TK... I can’t speak to the Pound the Ground hunt, but the Fall Silver Search already has four or five CT detectorists registered, another from Long Island, NY and several from NH, with the rest from MA. We are now about 75% booked (of the 80 hunter limit). Easy target recovery in the beach sand too.

Hope to see you there as well.

Jim

This Hunt is 91% booked. 7 slots left

As of last night's MTHA meeting and after a few more registrations from Maine & Connecticut, we are now at 73 "Full-Day" hunters of the 80 person limit.

That's 91.25% booked with 2 weeks to go before the Early Registration deadline of October 5th. Deadline for qualifying for the early registration prize drawing is October 5th.

Please don't wait until the last minute, as our web site will shut off registrations automatically when the 80 hunter limit is reached.

If we reach the 80 hunter limit by hunt day, no "walk-Ins" will be honored, as we have in the past. Walk-ins only accepted if we have not reached 80 hunters and that is unlikely, with only 7 slots left. Take your chances.

Jim

Last edited:
MTHA Hunt is 100% booked. MAIL-IN Registration is now CLOSED

As of 4 PM today, Monday 23-Sept, we are now at 80 "Full-Day" hunters of the 80 person limit or 100% booked for "Full Day" hunters.

Some "MORNING only" and "AFTERNOON only" half-day slots still available ONLINE (five or six of each). These do not qualify for entry into the Door Prize drawing.

MAIL-IN Registration is now CLOSED

No "Walk-Ins" will be honored, as we have in the past.

Jim

Last edited:
The search coil on my AT Pro is 8.5"x11". Is that okay or is that considered oversized?

I think the smaller coils are better for this type of hunt but I only have the stock 11” coil on my Equinox and I used it at last years hunt with no problems. Should be a fun time, looking forward to seeing you all there.

Important open hunt safety tip:

Targets are shallow. Turn your sensitivity WAY down, otherwise you are going to get alot of interference from other machines that share the same operating frequency.

The search coil on my AT Pro is 8.5"x11". Is that okay or is that considered oversized?

Hi Tim,

Both our Huntmaster and club president have replied to me that your coil should be OK. I think it's a standard coil for the AT-PRO ?

A smaller coil, if you have one, may serve you better in a hunt like this, as you may be able to swing it faster & longer and also be able to more quickly pinpoint your target. Don't forget, targets in our seeded hunts are just barely below the sandy beach surface and very large coils are just overkill.

See you on the 20th and GOOD LUCK !

Jim

Cant wait! See you all Sunday!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Hi Tankerhoosen,

See you on Sunday. I had not seen you posting before about the hunt, so I assume you are already registered? As far as I know, there was still one "full-day" slot open (after a cancellation) which no one has grabbed yet. If it is claimed this week, there will be no available slots for "walk-in" hunters, with the exception of the few "half-day" slots available. I hope you got one of the 80 slots.

Jim

26 out-of-staters registered

That's 26 % of 80 registered are not from Massachusetts.

Here's the breakdown:
Connecticut: 8
New York: 2
New Hampshire: 5
Rhode Island: 2
Maine: 4

and the rest are from Massachusetts.

Maybe next year, Vermont will be represented as well

Jim

Back
Top Bottom