• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

I Should Have Been A Metal Detector Dealer............

John-Edmonton

Elite Member
It happened again. One of my patients I admitted recently ( I am a RN) got to talking about his farm which had been in the family for 3 generations. He mentioned that the original homesteader, his great grampa talked about some valuables being buried on the property. Well, not being able to hold back on sharing my favorite hobby, I eventually brought in one of my books written by Charles Garrett on treasure hunting. He read it, and his daughter and son all got fired up after speaking with both of us, and are going to buy a metal detector. I suggested one of the AT SERIES.

So, it looks like all the kids and grand kids are now going to have weekly treasure hunts at the farm. They might find the treasure, but they will surely find a coin or two, a bunch of nails, bits of pottery or perhaps even an old toy. However, regardless of what they find, the greatest treasure of all will be valuable family time spent together.

Although I have lost count, I have influenced many people to go out and purchase a metal detector. Great way to transition back to exercise after a hip or knee replacement, as is the case on my medical unit. Heck, some of my supervisors, maintenance co-workers and other RNs have purchased a metal detector either for themselves or their spouse.

Yes......I should have been a dealer! :waiting:

Attachments

• Garrett-Family-Ace-150.jpg
    Garrett-Family-Ace-150.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 482
Great that you got others involved in detecting....I guess. It kinda sounds like your a little bummed. All these people you hooked up , haven't they invited you to hunt there properties ? Give them tips on how to hunt ?

Great that you got others involved in detecting....I guess. It kinda sounds like your a little bummed. All these people you hooked up , haven't they invited you to hunt there properties ? Give them tips on how to hunt ?

Yeah, John. That was my first thought too. Didn’t you get an invite to help detect the farm, if for nothing else but to help the newbies learn their machines, or proper recovery techniques?

I should have had a few AT Pros in my trunk as at about 3 houses here in town, the guys have gone out and bought one after watching me detect!

That is AWESOME John !!

My Daughter moved to Portland about 6 months ago (4 hours away)
I have been to visit 3 times and of course I had to hunt her yard..
Well my 5 year old granddaughter just has to go with me and help me dig!!

she is now my all time favorite hunting partner (not kidding)

last time she told me That even if we don't find anything.. at least we get to "hang out" !!

I think someday she will get the bug to go out on her own !!

I am not bummed about it at all. Two reasons.....#1 I have to abide by some ethics rules, which place boundaries on my ability to get personally involved with my patients. #2 is that often times the property is like a couple of hours drive from home. I have plenty of places to hunt for relics a lot closer, and I am primarily a coin/jewelry hunter who also likes to prospect for gold.

I get great satisfaction seeing someone getting excited about a possible buried treasure on their property. All they really need is a little direction on how a metal detector works. The rest is up to them, the family. They are now in a position to get together and share the thrill of metal detecting with each other and create some memorable moments. Heck they might even find the treasure.

Attachments

• Farm-Family-Finds-Buried-Treasure-Group-last-Pic-e1524599747521-1024x769.jpg
    Farm-Family-Finds-Buried-Treasure-Group-last-Pic-e1524599747521-1024x769.jpg
    193.7 KB · Views: 334
I should have had a few AT Pros in my trunk as at about 3 houses here in town, the guys have gone out and bought one after watching me detect!

I know exactly what you mean. All it takes is someone to see you with a detector and some of the great finds, and "POOF"......another metal detectorist is created!

That is AWESOME John !!

My Daughter moved to Portland about 6 months ago (4 hours away)
I have been to visit 3 times and of course I had to hunt her yard..
Well my 5 year old granddaughter just has to go with me and help me dig!!

she is now my all time favorite hunting partner (not kidding)

last time she told me That even if we don't find anything.. at least we get to "hang out" !!

I think someday she will get the bug to go out on her own !!

All kids are naturally attracted to treasure. They learn at an early age about pirates treasure. Taking them along a hunt conjures up gold coins, jewelry, silver bars etc in their imagination.

Of course us adults get the same thoughts too. I mean....why do you own a metal detector? :laughing:

Cool story and you are absolutely right about the MD rehab....I have 5 slipped/bulging discs in my lower back and MDing keeps me healthy enough and out of the Dr office...

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom