2nd hunt learning my new Nox 800

GKL

Forum Supporter
After a busier than usual week (and getting my wife's honey-do list done Saturday morning :lol:) I was able to get my 2nd hunt in with my new Nox 800 Saturday afternoon !

It lasted almost 3 hours, and still in my yard for now so I can fine tune my ability using TID numbers and make the most out of time spent on hunts elsewhere later that have better potential of finding good targets. (my yard is 1 1/2 acres so plenty of area to cover)

My 2nd outdoor Nox 800 class was even more fun than my first one as I am getting more used to using it, finds were not spectacular but they were very helpful in furthering my TID education. (having only used a Tracker IV before the Nox 800 I never had any experience using TID numbers)

Later after the hunt I looked at more Nox 800 videos and it helped me understand some things that puzzled me and realize it was not unusual, for instance for the TID numbers to bounce around scanning the same spot, seems videos showed that happening to others too, also learned to check the TID number to see if it repeated when scanning the area in the opposite direction.

Some TID numbers in the upper 30's had me thinking I had found silver, but turned out to be trash like the big metal piece and the nail, the bulky special looking nut I thought was going to be a nickel based on the TID number, but I remember the clad quarter ringing up as expected at a 30, the damage to the quarter might have been done years ago when I was tilling that area with a power tiller for a garden as you can tell the damage was not done recently.

20191012_145053.jpg

20191014_171349.jpg

20191014_171332.jpg

I hope to get in another hunt tomorrow, and again on Thursday and Friday.

I'm not discouraged as I know the good finds will come when I hunt locations with better potential, right now the fun is in the learning regardless of the finds ! (hey, I still could find some good finds in my yard as this town dates back to the 1700's !)

Keep at it and you'll be a pro with your new machine, ..coming from a bounty hunter it's gotta alot more settings and things..maybe somone will chime in and help out, could be your settings that have you digging so much iron? There's lots of tips and tricks for machines, looking forward to your finds.Congrats on the Finds and equinox

your new detector

After a busier than usual week (and getting my wife's honey-do list done Saturday morning :lol:) I was able to get my 2nd hunt in with my new Nox 800 Saturday afternoon !

It lasted almost 3 hours, and still in my yard for now so I can fine tune my ability using TID numbers and make the most out of time spent on hunts elsewhere later that have better potential of finding good targets. (my yard is 1 1/2 acres so plenty of area to cover)

My 2nd outdoor Nox 800 class was even more fun than my first one as I am getting more used to using it, finds were not spectacular but they were very helpful in furthering my TID education. (having only used a Tracker IV before the Nox 800 I never had any experience using TID numbers)

Later after the hunt I looked at more Nox 800 videos and it helped me understand some things that puzzled me and realize it was not unusual, for instance for the TID numbers to bounce around scanning the same spot, seems videos showed that happening to others too, also learned to check the TID number to see if it repeated when scanning the area in the opposite direction.

Some TID numbers in the upper 30's had me thinking I had found silver, but turned out to be trash like the big metal piece and the nail, the bulky special looking nut I thought was going to be a nickel based on the TID number, but I remember the clad quarter ringing up as expected at a 30, the damage to the quarter might have been done years ago when I was tilling that area with a power tiller for a garden as you can tell the damage was not done recently.

View attachment 451595

View attachment 451596

View attachment 451597

I hope to get in another hunt tomorrow, and again on Thursday and Friday.

I'm not discouraged as I know the good finds will come when I hunt locations with better potential, right now the fun is in the learning regardless of the finds ! (hey, I still could find some good finds in my yard as this town dates back to the 1700's !)

Glad to hear you are getting some practice with your new machine . After you get all the new settings figured out should be a blast.

Keep at it and you'll be a pro with your new machine, ..coming from a bounty hunter it's gotta alot more settings and things..maybe somone will chime in and help out, could be your settings that have you digging so much iron? There's lots of tips and tricks for machines, looking forward to your finds.Congrats on the Finds and equinox

Thanks, I'm sure I'll get better at avoiding so much iron after a while, part of it now might be wanting to dig some signals I should pass up just to see what it is :lol:

I'm mostly using the "Park 1" setting starting out as that is what I read to try at first before learning some of the more specialized settings.

I keep looking at more Nox 800 youtube videos occasionally and picking up more tips here and there.

The neat thing is I am still having fun while even in the learning mode !

You will do fine . The Nox is a fun machine to learn and you're certainly going about learning it the right way . Best of luck in your future hunts . I expect you will be posting some knockout finds very soon .

Glad to hear you are getting some practice with your new machine . After you get all the new settings figured out should be a blast.

Thanks ! While it obviously be more fun after I learn it better and discover better finds, I am still having fun learning it regardless of the finds for now :lol:

You will do fine . The Nox is a fun machine to learn and you're certainly going about learning it the right way . Best of luck in your future hunts . I expect you will be posting some knockout finds very soon .

Thanks, soon would be very nice but I am not an impatient man, (but hopefully a fairly good find within a month :lol:) with the history of this town going back to the 1700's my wife thinks I could even discover some old relics on our own property, hey, if someone had a property like mine next to woods and offered permission to detect it I would, so why not my own property, I give myself permission :lol:

Congrats on the new detector and gear, Gary! What a generous gift from Scuba. :yes: You must feel so excited! That's how I felt after last Christmas, between the forum gift exchange and the kindness of another forum member (Silversmith45). I, too, was accustomed to the more affordable detectors (Bounty Hunter, Harbor Freight 9-Function - which are good for the price) and so my new setup was a game changer, as I'm sure this is for you. :D I hope that you enjoy your new gear as much as I enjoy mine!

Please keep us posted on your finds! :thumbsup:

Congrats on getting permission from yourself:lol:.
Seriously though the Eq is a great detector and offers much to learn! Have fun!

Congrats on the new detector and gear, Gary! What a generous gift from Scuba. :yes: You must feel so excited! That's how I felt after last Christmas, between the forum gift exchange and the kindness of another forum member (Silversmith45). I, too, was accustomed to the more affordable detectors (Bounty Hunter, Harbor Freight 9-Function - which are good for the price) and so my new setup was a game changer, as I'm sure this is for you. :D I hope that you enjoy your new gear as much as I enjoy mine!

Please keep us posted on your finds! :thumbsup:

Thanks ! It was indeed a VERY generous prize Scuba offered in his contest !

The Nox 800 is a big step up from my Bounty Hunter, and it is a lot of fun even while still in the learning process !

Glad you are enjoying your new gear too ! :thumbsup:

Sounds to me like you are ready to go hammer some clad. If you can find a place with plenty of coinage, it's great practice for learning the coin signals, and getting used to pinpointing, etc.
I suggest this to give you some hard, fast, repetition training. Then, you can always slow down and hunt your own yard, or other relic sites.

One more thing; hammer that quarter back into shape, and spend it! :yes:

Sounds to me like you are ready to go hammer some clad. If you can find a place with plenty of coinage, it's great practice for learning the coin signals, and getting used to pinpointing, etc.
I suggest this to give you some hard, fast, repetition training. Then, you can always slow down and hunt your own yard, or other relic sites.

One more thing; hammer that quarter back into shape, and spend it! :yes:

Thanks, I'm glad you brought up pinpointing, I forgot to mention how helpful that is on the Nox 800, didn't have it on the Bounty Hunter, and I have been using the pinpointer function before digging my targets to try to keep my plug size down to below crater size :lol: !

I already thought of hammering that quarter back into shape :lol: just wanted to post a pic "as found" first before doing that later on.

Back
Top Bottom