Anyone have any tips on finding old swimming holes?

cellrdwellr

Elite Member
I know of a couple in my area, but due to heavy rains over the years, lots of silt has built up. The only targets im finding are foot deep cans. Anyone have any resources they could share? I just googled for a couple hours and came up with almost nothing. Almost all of the search results were modern swimming holes, and while im sure some are old, I'm looking for OLD swimming holes preferably not in use anymore. Small creeks, ponds, etc. Thanks alot!

A lot of towns have Facebook sites where people who lived there reminisce.. The ones here are You Must Be From (town name) if.... You Know You Are From (town)If... You can join those and ask politely for info. Of course, finding older folks could be fastest. And, um, if you have access to an online newspaper database like newspapers.com you can search for drowning stories in old area papers and then research the swimming spots.

Down bellow you in CT we're lucky to have old arials in our online library. I go back to 1934. I look for light spots around the lakes and streams. That's sand. Old farm boy swimming holes.

Those Arcadia publishing local history books are really good.

Your local library most likely has the one for your town (if it exists) and likely the towns that border you as well, again if they exist.

Look for old bridges or remnants of old bridges. Deep pools of water with rocks to jump off of. I know of one old swimming hole and I haven’t been there yet.

I've located a few by simply talking to members of the local communities who's family has lived here for several generations. In my area there are a dozen or so families that have resided here since the 1700's. They're a goldmine of information.

Appreciate the comments everyone! Might have to hit the water today, it's like 90° out there! :sun: I have a couple of the Acadia local towns books. That's how I found the couple I know of now. Will have to grab a few more, that's a good suggestion. The one I have had moderate success around the perimeter is in my hometown, found a few wheats and a barber half out there on the shore, but not much in the water. Most spots you step in and sink 6"-12" in muck...I have a hard time believing that every single one is silted in, and good targets are out of reach. Ill keep plugging along appreciate it!

Your local library most likely has the one for your town (if it exists) and likely the towns that border you as well, again if they exist.

What he ^ said !! I even found an Arcadia book with a picture of a local swimming hole with tents and old cars. Homeowners. Won’t let me near it. Damn !!

Down bellow you in CT we're lucky to have old arials in our online library. I go back to 1934. I look for light spots around the lakes and streams. That's sand. Old farm boy swimming holes.

Good tip. I live in CT and use those images from time to time.

Water by an old swimming hole in my area is way down. I have an At pro and older Garrett pinpointer but nothing else for water digging. Any advise on how to dig in the water without a scoop to make it easier? Thanks

Water by an old swimming hole in my area is way down. I have an At pro and older Garrett pinpointer but nothing else for water digging. Any advise on how to dig in the water without a scoop to make it easier? Thanks

May sound stupid but many people have made their own hand scoops out of
material laying around the house like milk jugs, coffee cans etc...

Don't underestimate the power of tea/coffee/brunch time with the old locals if any are left. Bring baked goods and get ready to learn.

Newspapers.com is a very valuable resource and will open up more opportunities than you think

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm inclined to agree with you because I literally wrote an Arcadia Press book about the Sandusky River here in Ohio! :D

I think I found one. There is a leftover part of a chain on a tree beside one of our creeks but it's so grown over I can't get to it till next Spring when all the vegitation dies back.

Back
Top Bottom