New from West Coast Florida!

FireKing22

Hello all! So happy I found this site. I have always been a collector of all things old, history and the story they tell. I now have a 2 year non compete I have to sit out through so I’ve decided to go all in on this hobby I’ve always wanted to do. I found a Whites MXT at a pawn shop and a Garrett pinpointer.

I did have one question I’ve always noticed here in Florida as compared to what I see on YouTube. Everything I find is always so severely rusted or corroded. Is this because of the sand? Like recently I found a 120 penny spill all from the 60’s but all are worthless because of the deterioration. Any tips or suggestions or is this what I should expect.

Again Hello to all and thanks in advance for advice.

Brad.

I did some detecting on the West Coast of Fl a few years back. Copper pennies were okay but as usual the modern Zinc pennies were corroded pieces of junk. Most of them too far gone to salvage. Only good for the trash can.

Had a gentleman come up to me and asked if i would see if i could find a ladies ring.

Of course i was willing. Asked the lady what she had lost and she said a silver ear ring. She was adamant that she knew exactly where it had hit the sand. Well it was no there. I started expanding my search area and a penny came out of the sand. A guy that was with the group reached in my scoop, grabbed the penny and put it in his picket. My thought was ":Damn Yankee"

About 4 feet from where she insisted the ear ring was it came out of the sand. She did not even say thank you. Just turned and walked away with her party. Danged Yankees.

Last edited:
Hello all! So happy I found this site. I have always been a collector of all things old, history and the story they tell. I now have a 2 year non compete I have to sit out through so I’ve decided to go all in on this hobby I’ve always wanted to do. I found a Whites MXT at a pawn shop and a Garrett pinpointer.

I did have one question I’ve always noticed here in Florida as compared to what I see on YouTube. Everything I find is always so severely rusted or corroded. Is this because of the sand? Like recently I found a 120 penny spill all from the 60’s but all are worthless because of the deterioration. Any tips or suggestions or is this what I should expect.

Again Hello to all and thanks in advance for advice.

Brad.
complete your profile with where you live and more people here can help you.

Back
Top Bottom