UV Lights and Fluorescent Minerals - a fun side hobby to metal detecting !

KT still has several specimens left to photograph from the Kentucky Symposium His Majesty attended, and here are 4 more from that batch! HA HA He hopes that all the pics will load. If not, then a couple may be in the next post, immediately below this one and only feature the pictures.

The first pair of images are from a specimen labeled Zircon, Albite and Siderite from Mont St. Hilaire, but when KT put the LWUV light on it, He saw another mineral grain fluorescing....and decided it must be Strontianite. The pair of pictures was taken at 30X, and the LW lamp was filtered to eliminate blue reflections. So that is pics 1 & 2.

The next pair of photos is of some very nice 30X fluorite crystals from the Thomas Range, Juab Co., Utah. The octahedral fluorites vary from colorless to pale yellow for the slightly larger ones, but in SWUV 254nm they are all a strong uniform, typical of fluorite. Pics 3 & 4.

The third pair of pictures is of a feldspathoid mineral, not commonly seen....Hauyne. KT likes the Hauyne's pale blue natural light color. It lights up a bright orange color in filtered LWUV 365nm. First specimen for The Royal fluorescent collection of this species! 20X. Pics 5 & 6.

And finally the last two pictures are of purple hackmanite from Mont St. Hilaire. The crystalline mass at 20X is a distinctive purple color in natural light. And in filtered LWUV 365nm it lights up with its typical orange response. Pics 7 & 8.

KT had fun taking these pictures! Hope you enjoy them!:D:D:D

Attachments

• Strontianite on albite, Mont St., Hilaire, Quebec, Can  30X, natural light.JPG
    Strontianite on albite, Mont St., Hilaire, Quebec, Can 30X, natural light.JPG
    86.7 KB · Views: 116
  • Strontianite on albite, Mont St., Hilaire, Quebec, Can  30X, LWUV 365nm.jpg
    Strontianite on albite, Mont St., Hilaire, Quebec, Can 30X, LWUV 365nm.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 107
  • Zircon, Thomas Range, Juab Co., Utah 30X, natural light.JPG
    Zircon, Thomas Range, Juab Co., Utah 30X, natural light.JPG
    125.8 KB · Views: 109
  • Zircon, Thomas Range, Juab Co., Utah 30X, SWUV 254nm.jpg
    Zircon, Thomas Range, Juab Co., Utah 30X, SWUV 254nm.jpg
    102.8 KB · Views: 111
  • Hauyne, Sacrafano, Campagnano Mt. Cavalluccio, Sabatini Co., Italy 20X, filtered LWUV 365nm.jpg
    Hauyne, Sacrafano, Campagnano Mt. Cavalluccio, Sabatini Co., Italy 20X, filtered LWUV 365nm.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 119
  • Hauyne, Sacrafano, Campagnano Mt. Cavalluccio, Sabatini Co., Italy 20X, natural light.JPG
    Hauyne, Sacrafano, Campagnano Mt. Cavalluccio, Sabatini Co., Italy 20X, natural light.JPG
    85.7 KB · Views: 110
  • Hackmanite, Mont St. Hilaire, Quebec, Can., 20X, natural light.JPG
    Hackmanite, Mont St. Hilaire, Quebec, Can., 20X, natural light.JPG
    136.8 KB · Views: 114
  • Hackmanite, Mont St. Hilaire, Quebec, Can., 20X, filtered LWUV 365nm.jpg
    Hackmanite, Mont St. Hilaire, Quebec, Can., 20X, filtered LWUV 365nm.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 120
Last edited:
Hey KT, I hope you are keeping an alphabetical list of all your specimens in order to keep track of them all :laughing: (just joking :lol:)

......more neat specimens KT !!!! :thumbsup:

....and would you believe this is my second post in this thread on the same day ! :lol: (that's pretty good after going weeks between posts here recently being busy :lol:)

Hey KT, I hope you are keeping an alphabetical list of all your specimens in order to keep track of them all :laughing: (just joking :lol:)

......more neat specimens KT !!!! :thumbsup:

....and would you believe this is my second post in this thread on the same day ! :lol: (that's pretty good after going weeks between posts here recently being busy :lol:)

Ha ha! Good to see you back in here, GKL! Actually His Majesty does have an alphabetical listing of every fluorescent specimen…in a spreadsheet set up to document where it came from, what wavelength it responds to, it’s size, it’s fl. color, and it’s location in the Royal Collection! Really! When KT decided to start collecting fluorescent minerals, He decided to keep it organized so His Majesty designed a spread sheet to keep all the pertinent info available! Presently the collection is getting close to 400 specimens, many of which are tiny so Not yet running out of space! Ha ha.

KT got the blues from these minerals! Part 1 HA HA

KT has 4 minerals to post, but His Majesty will post 2 in this response and 2 in another below!

These first two are fluorapatite from 2 different localities, the first from Switzerland and the 2nd from Australia! Both examples are rather granular and fluoresce blue in SWUV 254nm light. 25X and 30X, respectively.

Enjoy!

Attachments

• Fluorapatite, Klenn's Quarry, Australia 30X SWUV 254nm.jpg
    Fluorapatite, Klenn's Quarry, Australia 30X SWUV 254nm.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 103
  • Fluorapatite, Klenn's Quarry, Australia 30X natural light.jpg
    Fluorapatite, Klenn's Quarry, Australia 30X natural light.jpg
    138.1 KB · Views: 103
  • Fluorapatite, Cavradi Gorge, Val Curnera, Surselva Region, Switzerland, 25X, SWUV 254nm.jpg
    Fluorapatite, Cavradi Gorge, Val Curnera, Surselva Region, Switzerland, 25X, SWUV 254nm.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 111
  • Fluorapatite, Cavradi Gorge, Val Curnera, Surselva Region, Switzerland, 25X, natural light.JPG
    Fluorapatite, Cavradi Gorge, Val Curnera, Surselva Region, Switzerland, 25X, natural light.JPG
    97.2 KB · Views: 115
KT got the blues from these minerals. Part 2. HA HA

Here are the other 2 minerals in the second part of this post!

Both of these examples are fluorite. The first from Spain and the second from Switzerland. 25X and 10X, respectively. Also SWUV 254nm and LWUV 365nm, respectively. You will note that both these fluorite specimens have a green tinge, the 2nd one a bit stronger than the first one.

Enjoy the "blues"!

Attachments

• Fluorite, Elviram, Bauguers, Barcelona, Spain, 20X, natural light.JPG
    Fluorite, Elviram, Bauguers, Barcelona, Spain, 20X, natural light.JPG
    126.9 KB · Views: 100
  • Fluorite, Elviram, Bauguers, Barcelona, Spain, 20X, SWUV 254nm.jpg
    Fluorite, Elviram, Bauguers, Barcelona, Spain, 20X, SWUV 254nm.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 110
  • Fluorite, Giebelsbach, Rhona Valley, Valais, Switzerland 10X, natural light.JPG
    Fluorite, Giebelsbach, Rhona Valley, Valais, Switzerland 10X, natural light.JPG
    108.2 KB · Views: 106
  • Fluorite, Giebelsbach, Rhona Valley, Valais, Switzerland 10X, LWUV 365nm.jpg
    Fluorite, Giebelsbach, Rhona Valley, Valais, Switzerland 10X, LWUV 365nm.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 104
3 more goodies for KT's Royal Collection!

The first pair of pics are of Calcite from Steetley, Dundas, Ontario, Canada. 20X. First pic is in natural light and second is in LWUV 365nm.

The second pair of pics is also of Calcite, but from 1/4 mile West of Lake Pleasant, Yavapai Co., AZ. 20X. The first is in natural light and the next in filtered UV365nm.

The last trio of pics is of Prehnite on quartz from the Goose Creek Qy., Fairfax County, VI. 20X This specimen was collected by Art Smith Jr in June of 1961. Due to his excellent habit of fully labelling his specimens, KT knows this specimen was collected over 61 years ago !! And it has now reached the Royal collection! First pic is in natural light, the second in filtered LWUV 365nm, and the last one is in SWUV 254nm.

Hope you enjoy them!

Attachments

• Calcite, Steetley, Dundas, Ont., Canada, 20X, natural light.jpg
    Calcite, Steetley, Dundas, Ont., Canada, 20X, natural light.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 113
  • Calcite, Steetley, Dundas, Ont., Canada, 20X, LWUV 365nm.jpg
    Calcite, Steetley, Dundas, Ont., Canada, 20X, LWUV 365nm.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 116
  • Calcite, qtr mi. W of Lake Pleasant, Yavapai Co., AZ, 20X, natural light.jpg
    Calcite, qtr mi. W of Lake Pleasant, Yavapai Co., AZ, 20X, natural light.jpg
    140 KB · Views: 114
  • Calcite, qtr mi. W of Lake Pleasant, Yavapai Co., AZ, 20X, filtered LWUV 365nm.jpg
    Calcite, qtr mi. W of Lake Pleasant, Yavapai Co., AZ, 20X, filtered LWUV 365nm.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 116
  • Prehnite, Goose Creek Qy., Fairfax Co., VA, 20X, natural light.JPG
    Prehnite, Goose Creek Qy., Fairfax Co., VA, 20X, natural light.JPG
    47.5 KB · Views: 108
  • Prehnite, Goose Creek Qy., Fairfax Co., VA, 20X, filtered LWUV 365nm.jpg
    Prehnite, Goose Creek Qy., Fairfax Co., VA, 20X, filtered LWUV 365nm.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 110
  • Prehnite, Goose Creek Qy., Fairfax Co., VA, 20X, SWUV 254nm.jpg
    Prehnite, Goose Creek Qy., Fairfax Co., VA, 20X, SWUV 254nm.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 115
4 fluorescent specimens from the same mine! Part 1

These 4 small specimens were selected from several additional pieces by KT because their fluorescence was better than the others. The fluorescent minerals consist of Wickenburgite (the Type Location) that fluoresces red to pink in SWUV 254nm, Willemite that fluoresces light green to strong green in SWUV 254nm, Fluorite which fluoresces blue in SWUV 254nm, and caliche (a type of desert soil that fluoresces orange in LWUV 365nm.

The specimens come from the Potter-Cramer Mine, Maricopa County, Arizona. Each piece was photographed in both natural light and UV light at 20X.

KT will include images of the first 2 pieces in this post and then the others in the next post, having run into space problems for too many images the last couple of times He has posted in this thread. So here we go!

His Majesty hopes you enjoy the pictures!

Attachments

• No. 2 Fluorite & Wickenburgite, Potter Cramer Mine, Maricopa Co., AZ 20X, SWUV 254nm.jpg
    No. 2 Fluorite & Wickenburgite, Potter Cramer Mine, Maricopa Co., AZ 20X, SWUV 254nm.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 105
  • No. 2 Caliche & Willemite, Potter Cramer Mine, Maricopa Co., AZ 20X, LWUV 365nm.jpg
    No. 2 Caliche & Willemite, Potter Cramer Mine, Maricopa Co., AZ 20X, LWUV 365nm.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 102
  • Mix fl. minerals02, Potter Cramer Mine, Maricopa Co., AZ 20X,natural light.JPG
    Mix fl. minerals02, Potter Cramer Mine, Maricopa Co., AZ 20X,natural light.JPG
    106.8 KB · Views: 102
  • No. 1 Wickenburgite, & Fluorite, Potter Cramer Mine, Maricopa Co., AZ, 20X LWUV 365nm.jpg
    No. 1 Wickenburgite, & Fluorite, Potter Cramer Mine, Maricopa Co., AZ, 20X LWUV 365nm.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 105
  • Mix fl. minerals01, Potter Cramer Mine, Maricopa Co., AZ 20X natural light.jpg
    Mix fl. minerals01, Potter Cramer Mine, Maricopa Co., AZ 20X natural light.jpg
    124.9 KB · Views: 113
Part 2

The other pictures!

Attachments

• No. 4 Wickenburgite & Fluorite, Potter Cramer Mine, Maricopa Co., AZ 20X SWUV 254nm.jpg
    No. 4 Wickenburgite & Fluorite, Potter Cramer Mine, Maricopa Co., AZ 20X SWUV 254nm.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 110
  • Mix fl. minerals04, Potter Cramer Mine, Maricopa Co., AZ natural light.jpg
    Mix fl. minerals04, Potter Cramer Mine, Maricopa Co., AZ natural light.jpg
    135.4 KB · Views: 108
  • No. 3 Wickenburgite & Fluorite, Potter Cramer Mine, 20X, SWUV 254nm.jpg
    No. 3 Wickenburgite & Fluorite, Potter Cramer Mine, 20X, SWUV 254nm.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 105
  • No. 3 Fluorite, Potter Cramer Mine, Maricopa Co., AR 20X LWUV 365nm.jpg
    No. 3 Fluorite, Potter Cramer Mine, Maricopa Co., AR 20X LWUV 365nm.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 108
  • Mix fl. minerals03, Potter Cramer Mine, Maricopa Co., AZ natural light.JPG
    Mix fl. minerals03, Potter Cramer Mine, Maricopa Co., AZ natural light.JPG
    129 KB · Views: 103
Two calcites....one from Kentucky and one from Switzerland!

Here we have two calcites from very different locations.

The first pair of pictures are of calcite with hydrocarbon inclusions from the Lafayette Mine, Francis, Crittenden Co., Kentucky. 20X. First pic is in natural light and shows nice rhombohedral cleavage of the mineral. The second pic is in filtered LWUV 365nm and shows how even the hydrocarbon inclusions are dispersed in the calcite. Typical fl. color of hydrocarbons in other minerals are white or yellow.

The second pair of pics are of calcite crystals from Cavradi Gorge, Val Curnera, Grisons, Switzerland. This mineralization is classic Alpine vein type and formed at relatively low temperatures. The first picture shows the calcite crystals dispersed across the surface at 20X, and the second shows their orange red fluorescence in SWUV 254nm.

Same mineral, but due to different conditions during formation, very different UV response!

Attachments

• Calcite w hydrocarbon inclusions, Lafayette Mine, Francis, Crittenden Co., KY 20X natural light.jpg
    Calcite w hydrocarbon inclusions, Lafayette Mine, Francis, Crittenden Co., KY 20X natural light.jpg
    124.1 KB · Views: 112
  • Calcite w hydrocarbon inclusions, Lafayette Mine, Francis, Crittenden Co., KY 20X filtered LWUV .jpg
    Calcite w hydrocarbon inclusions, Lafayette Mine, Francis, Crittenden Co., KY 20X filtered LWUV .jpg
    80 KB · Views: 114
  • Calcite Cavradi Gorge, Val Curnera, Grisons, Switzerland 20X natural light.JPG
    Calcite Cavradi Gorge, Val Curnera, Grisons, Switzerland 20X natural light.JPG
    59.2 KB · Views: 104
  • Calcite Cavradi Gorge, Val Curnera, Grisons, Switzerland 20X SWUV 254nm.jpg
    Calcite Cavradi Gorge, Val Curnera, Grisons, Switzerland 20X SWUV 254nm.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 111
Now here are 3 fluorescent thumbnail specimens. If they fit in a 1 1/4" cube plastic box then that is what collectors call them!

Anyway the first picture shows them in natural light. From left to right you have Meiorite from Robertsville Mine, Frontenac County, Ontario, Canada, then Sodalite from Poudrette Quarry, Mont St. Hilaire, Quebec, Canada, and far right is Barite from the Linwood Mine, Buffalo, Scott County, Iowa, USA.

The second picture shows the Meiorite and Sodalite response in LWUV 365nm.

And the last picture shows the Barite response to SWUV 254nm. Incidentally the barite phosphoresces nicely after exposure to both LW and SW light....initially a greenish that fades to white.

Enjoy!

Attachments

• Barite, Linwood Mine, Buffalo, Scott Co., Iowa, SWUV 254nm.jpg
    Barite, Linwood Mine, Buffalo, Scott Co., Iowa, SWUV 254nm.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 99
  • Meionite, Robertsville mine, Ont., Canada on left, Sodalite, Mont St. Hilaire, Quebec, Can on ri.jpg
    Meionite, Robertsville mine, Ont., Canada on left, Sodalite, Mont St. Hilaire, Quebec, Can on ri.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 111
  • Three fl. TNs, Meionite Canada, Sodalite Canada, and Barite Iowa, USA, FOV=3.5 in, natural light.jpg
    Three fl. TNs, Meionite Canada, Sodalite Canada, and Barite Iowa, USA, FOV=3.5 in, natural light.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 96
The Last......of the specimens which KT acquired at the KY Symposium

Whew, took His Majesty long enough to wrap the last of these up! :laughing::laughing:

Anyway.....Both of these specimens are Dolomite crystals with hydrocarbon inclusions. They are from the Renasselaer Quarry, Pleasant Ridge, Jasper County, IN. Typically hydrocarbons fluoresce, but often rather weakly, as in this case.

Pics 1 & 3 are of dolomite crystals in natural light, 20X.

Pics 2 & 4 were taken in filtered LWUV 365nm light. If not filtered the color would be washed out in reflections of blue light from the Lamp. Also at 20X.

KT is now ready to put away his specimen work table and move another chair back into his Man Cave! :woohoo::woot:

Enjoy these pics. Whenever KT gets more fluorescent specimens arriving at the Castle, they will be photographed and posted!

Attachments

• Dolomite01 with hydrocarbon inclusions, Rensselaer Quarry, Pleasant Ridge, Jasper Co., IN 20X na.jpg
    Dolomite01 with hydrocarbon inclusions, Rensselaer Quarry, Pleasant Ridge, Jasper Co., IN 20X na.jpg
    103.2 KB · Views: 99
  • Dolomite01 with hydrocarbon inclusions, Rensselaer Quarry, Pleasant Ridge, Jasper Co., IN 20X fi.jpg
    Dolomite01 with hydrocarbon inclusions, Rensselaer Quarry, Pleasant Ridge, Jasper Co., IN 20X fi.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 102
  • Dolomite02 with hydrocarbon inclusions, Rensselaer Quarry, Pleasant Ridge, Jasper Co., IN 20X na.JPG
    Dolomite02 with hydrocarbon inclusions, Rensselaer Quarry, Pleasant Ridge, Jasper Co., IN 20X na.JPG
    178.2 KB · Views: 101
  • Dolomite02 with hydrocarbon inclusions, Rensselaer Quarry, Pleasant Ridge, Jasper Co., IN 20X fi.jpg
    Dolomite02 with hydrocarbon inclusions, Rensselaer Quarry, Pleasant Ridge, Jasper Co., IN 20X fi.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 109
This specimen arrived Today!

When coming home after the Royal Lunch, KT had the Coachman stop at the Royal Mailbox.....BEHOLD!

A fluorescent specimen had arrived. KT excitedly unwrapped it and it was all His Majesty expected it to be!

The specimen measures 4.25" across and consists of Sphalerite (zinc sulfide), Willemite, and a matrix of feldspar, with small black franklinite grains (another zinc mineral). In this specimen the Sphalerite fluoresces orange to yellow orange in LWUV 365nm light, depending upon if the light is filtered going into the camera or unfiltered. When unfiltered there is a lot of blue reflections from the matrix, but the matrix is not really fluorescing, as you see in the filtered LW image. The sphalerite in normal light is a tannish color.

Anyway, the first picture is in natural light, 2nd pic is in unfiltered LW365nm light, and the last pic is in filtered LW 365nm light. The actual fluorescence is true orange and fairly bright, but in filtered LW it appears more yellowish, but not lemon yellow.

Enjoy the pictures! Heading downstairs right now to put this one in the Royal Collection!

Attachments

• Sphalerite Sterling Hill Mine, Sussex Co., NJ FOV=5.0 in., filtered LWUV 365nm.jpg
    Sphalerite Sterling Hill Mine, Sussex Co., NJ FOV=5.0 in., filtered LWUV 365nm.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 95
  • Sphalerite Sterling Hill Mine, Sussex Co., NJ FOV=5.0 in., LWUV 365nm.jpg
    Sphalerite Sterling Hill Mine, Sussex Co., NJ FOV=5.0 in., LWUV 365nm.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 94
  • Sphalerite Sterling Hill Mine, Sussex Co., NJ FOV=5.0 in., natural light.jpg
    Sphalerite Sterling Hill Mine, Sussex Co., NJ FOV=5.0 in., natural light.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 95
I got a UV light a year ago or so, and have been in the front yard. I've had to buy all my specimens so far, but this thread reminded me that all the rocks have been turned and cleaned because the landscapers just redone by the lady of the house.

Good times.

--Matt

I got a UV light a year ago or so, and have been in the front yard. I've had to buy all my specimens so far, but this thread reminded me that all the rocks have been turned and cleaned because the landscapers just redone by the lady of the house.

Good times.

--Matt

:laughing::laughing: Yes, KT went throughout the Castle and its grounds after He got the 2 Royal UV lamps! And His Majesty knows what you mean about having to buy your specimens, but for many the prices are very reasonable. His Majesty could not even think of traveling to far off Realms to find as fine a specimens as He has purchased!

Just this past weekend, KT put on a talk and display at our local Rock Club Meeting and it was well received, KT hearing a lot of oooooo's and ahhhhhh's and a couple of WOWs in the crowd! :laughing::laughing: Some of the samples KT used in the presentation look like glowing embers of a fire, so KT goes around and has the attendees touch the stones so they realize that they are not HOT! Kids are very hesitant to touch them at first, until I point out I am holding it and am not getting burned. Past experiences tell us that anything that looks like that MUST be hot and to not touch!

Royal thanks for your comments, Matt! :D:D:D

New items arrived at the Castle today! Part 1

KT received 4 new to His Majesty specimens in the Castle Mailbox today! Before the Royal Mail had arrived, KT was out and about in the Royal Realm on his trusty Steed, first for a Royal Feast at Fat Boy's BBQ (ribs and the works!), and then on to spend all of $2.25 at the local gas pump, before arriving back at the Castle. Happy was He to see these new samples had arrived! All these samples are from Long Lake Zinc Mine, Parham, Olden Township, Frontenac County, Ontario, Canada.

Pictures 1 & 2 are of a specimen of Aragonite "Lightning Bolts" with Calcite. The first picture is in natural light, the second in SWUV 254nm. The aragonite responds blue-white in the calcite which appears pinkish red.

Pictures 3 and 4 are of another specimen, more equidimensional, of the same type of rock. The first picture is in natural light. This rock also contains an additional mineral, Chondrodite, which responds as yellow spots and patches in SWUV light. Of course, this sample also contains a vein (lightning bolt) of aragonite, all set in a fluorescing pink red calcite matrix.

Part 2 will display the other 2 specimens from the same locality

Attachments

• Aragonite  (lightning bolts) with Calcite matrix, Long Lake Zn Mine, Ont. Can. FOV=3 in., SWUV 2.JPG
    Aragonite (lightning bolts) with Calcite matrix, Long Lake Zn Mine, Ont. Can. FOV=3 in., SWUV 2.JPG
    82 KB · Views: 90
  • Aragonite  (lightning bolts) with Calcite matrix, Long Lake Zn Mine, Ont. Can. FOV=2.4 in., natu.JPG
    Aragonite (lightning bolts) with Calcite matrix, Long Lake Zn Mine, Ont. Can. FOV=2.4 in., natu.JPG
    106.2 KB · Views: 87
  • Aragonite  (lightning bolts) with Calcite matrix, Long Lake Zn Mine, Ont. Can. FOV=3 in., natura.JPG
    Aragonite (lightning bolts) with Calcite matrix, Long Lake Zn Mine, Ont. Can. FOV=3 in., natura.JPG
    136.7 KB · Views: 87
  • Aragonite  (lightning bolts) with Calcite matrix, Long Lake Zn Mine, Ont. Can. FOV=2.4 in., SWUV.JPG
    Aragonite (lightning bolts) with Calcite matrix, Long Lake Zn Mine, Ont. Can. FOV=2.4 in., SWUV.JPG
    75.3 KB · Views: 88
Part 2

Two other specimens from the Long Lake Zinc Mine in Ontario, Canada.

The first 3 pictures are of a variety of Sphalerite called Marmatite, being iron-rich. The first image is in natural light. The second in SWUV 254nm, and the 3rd image is in filtered SWUV 254nm.

The last 2 images are of a specimen consisting of Chondrodite and Diopside in Calcite matrix. This type of specimen is often called "A starry night" for its pinpoint type fluorescence! The 4th pic is with natural light and the 5th pic is in SWUV 254nm light.

Hope you enjoy these pictures!

Attachments

• Sphalerite, var. Marmatite, Long Lake mine, Ont., Can., FOV=1.5 in., natural light.JPG
    Sphalerite, var. Marmatite, Long Lake mine, Ont., Can., FOV=1.5 in., natural light.JPG
    154.7 KB · Views: 88
  • Sphalerite, var. Marmatite, Long Lake mine, Ont., Can., FOV=1.5 in., SWUV 254nm.JPG
    Sphalerite, var. Marmatite, Long Lake mine, Ont., Can., FOV=1.5 in., SWUV 254nm.JPG
    88.8 KB · Views: 86
  • Sphalerite, var. Marmatite, Long Lake mine, Ont., Can., FOV=1.5 in., filtered SWUV 254nm.JPG
    Sphalerite, var. Marmatite, Long Lake mine, Ont., Can., FOV=1.5 in., filtered SWUV 254nm.JPG
    81.3 KB · Views: 80
  • Chondrodite & Diopside with Calcite matrix, Long Lake Zn Mine, Ont., Can., FOV=3 in., natural li.JPG
    Chondrodite & Diopside with Calcite matrix, Long Lake Zn Mine, Ont., Can., FOV=3 in., natural li.JPG
    108 KB · Views: 86
  • Chondrodite & Diopside with Calcite matrix, Long Lake Zn Mine, Ont., Can., FOV=3 in., SWUV 254nm.JPG
    Chondrodite & Diopside with Calcite matrix, Long Lake Zn Mine, Ont., Can., FOV=3 in., SWUV 254nm.JPG
    73 KB · Views: 91
Hopefully by the end of October.......

KT will get Prince John's Android phone when PJ buys the next upgraded version. Then KT can experiment with that phone's ability to take photographs of minerals and fluorescent response! KT has also purchased a supposedly more powerful LWUV lamp for a cheaper price than the present one. And KT has ordered a LUX light meter to experiment with. Who knows whether it will register in the UV light range or not, but the price was reasonable, so it is worth a try. Wattage, which some folks use, is only a measure of the amount of power that drives a lamp, and is not directly related to either lumens or lux readings or the lamps visible output. Most UV manufacturers will not answer the question as to what the lux reading of their products are as it takes a very expensive meter, in the range of $2500. Lux is also related to the distance the bulb is from an object. That can be fixed, say by checking every lamp at the same distance, either 2" or 4" or 6". Anyway the meter KT purchased will read from 1 to 400,000 lux, so we shall see. Lux is a measure of the intensity of light falling on an object. Lumens is the intensity of light over a square meter from a light source 1 meter away. Like with any radiation, distance from the light source is a major factor, if KT remembers his high school physics lessons on light intensity! HA HA Somewhere in there is also a conversion to foot-candles.

This is all being done to try and take better pictures of fluorescing minerals. KT has learned that autofocusing cameras are not the best, due to the shift in light wavelengths causing the camera to falsely refocus. Perhaps this has been overcome in these new phone cameras. But we shall see! :lol::lol:

Last edited:
KT has been waiting awhile for several eBay fluorescent specimens to arrive at the Castle!

So here is the one that came in today. It is Phlogopite and Sodalite with Calcite Marble matrix, from Koksha Valley, Kuran Wah Munjan District, Badakhshan, Afghanistan. It was sold as a fluorescent Phlogopite specimen, with little mention of the Sodalite and Calcite Marble host having any fluorescence, so KT feels like He got a 3 in one specimen! :laughing::laughing::laughing:

The first three pictures show the front of the specimen as it appears in natural light, LWUV 365nm, and SWUV 254nm. In LW, the blue sodalite displays a nice orange color and the phlogopite and calcite marble not so much, just blue reflected light from the UV Lamp. In SW, the phlogopite is a pale yellow, the calcite a blue white, and no response from the sodalite.

The second three pictures are the backside of the same specimen, also as it appears in natural light, LWUV 365nm, and SWUV 254nm. Same response from the same mineral.

KT hopes you find this specimen interesting!

Attachments

• Phlogopite with Sodalite and Calcite matrix, obv., Badakhshan, Afgh., FOV=3.5 in., SWUV 254nm.JPG
    Phlogopite with Sodalite and Calcite matrix, obv., Badakhshan, Afgh., FOV=3.5 in., SWUV 254nm.JPG
    82.9 KB · Views: 83
  • Phlogopite with Sodalite and Calcite matrix, obv., Badakhshan, Afgh., FOV=3.5 in., LWUV 365nm.JPG
    Phlogopite with Sodalite and Calcite matrix, obv., Badakhshan, Afgh., FOV=3.5 in., LWUV 365nm.JPG
    134.9 KB · Views: 79
  • Phlogopite with Sodalite and Calcite matrix, obv., Badakhshan, Afgh., FOV=3.5 in., natural light.JPG
    Phlogopite with Sodalite and Calcite matrix, obv., Badakhshan, Afgh., FOV=3.5 in., natural light.JPG
    168 KB · Views: 84
  • Phlogopite with Sodalite and Calcite matrix, rev.,  Badakhshan, Afgh., FOV=3.5 in., natural ligh.JPG
    Phlogopite with Sodalite and Calcite matrix, rev., Badakhshan, Afgh., FOV=3.5 in., natural ligh.JPG
    157.7 KB · Views: 83
  • Phlogopite with Sodalite and Calcite matrix, rev., Badakhshan, Afgh., FOV=3.5 in., LWUV 365nm.JPG
    Phlogopite with Sodalite and Calcite matrix, rev., Badakhshan, Afgh., FOV=3.5 in., LWUV 365nm.JPG
    134.4 KB · Views: 80
  • Phlogopite with Sodalite and Calcite matrix, rev., Badakhshan, Afgh., FOV=3.5 in., SWUV 254nm.JPG
    Phlogopite with Sodalite and Calcite matrix, rev., Badakhshan, Afgh., FOV=3.5 in., SWUV 254nm.JPG
    78.1 KB · Views: 79
Other phlogopite specimens, but without the sodalite!

KT waited patiently for 2 weeks for these two specimens to arrive, and LO, these were in the Royal Mailbox today! Here KT presents several pictures of the 2 specimens. Both specimens are from The Koksha Valley, Kuran Wah Munjan District, Badakhshan, Afghanistan.

The first pair of pictures show distinct crystals a little over 0.5" across and some up to 1" long, in matrix. Picture 1 is in natural light and picture 2 is in SWUV 254nm using 2 4 watt lamps. The phlogopite has a distinctive pastel creamy yellow color in SW.

The rest of the pictures are of the 2nd specimen, which is about the same size as the first, but rather elongate with large cleavages of phlogopite exposed on both flat sides of the piece. The first picture shows the specimen sitting on edge so that it displays a calcite vein between the phlogopite cleavages and is in natural light. The second image is of the same view, but taken with SWUV 254nm light, which shows the red fluorescence of the calcite and the near lack of fluorescence of the edges of the phlogopite crystals. The 3rd image shows one large cleavage face of the phlogopite in LWUV 365nm, described by some as a dull red fluorescence, certainly not as strong but perhaps a more deep red that some other minerals. The 4th image shows the opposite side in natural light, and the 6th picture shows the nice creamy yellow fluorescence of the phlogopite in SWUV 254nm.

Enjoy!

Attachments

• Phlogopite in matrix, Badkhshan, Afghanistan, FOV 2.5 in, natural light.JPG
    Phlogopite in matrix, Badkhshan, Afghanistan, FOV 2.5 in, natural light.JPG
    151.1 KB · Views: 71
  • Phlogopite in matrix, Badkhshan, Afghanistan, FOV 2.5 in, SWUV 254nm.JPG
    Phlogopite in matrix, Badkhshan, Afghanistan, FOV 2.5 in, SWUV 254nm.JPG
    53.9 KB · Views: 67
  • Phlogopite with Calcite,  Badkhshan, Afghanistan, FOV 2.5 in, filtered LWUV 365nm.JPG
    Phlogopite with Calcite, Badkhshan, Afghanistan, FOV 2.5 in, filtered LWUV 365nm.JPG
    108 KB · Views: 71
  • Phlogopite with Calcite, Badkhshan, Afghanistan, FOV 2.5 in, SWUV 254nm.JPG
    Phlogopite with Calcite, Badkhshan, Afghanistan, FOV 2.5 in, SWUV 254nm.JPG
    65.4 KB · Views: 69
  • Phlogopite with Calcite, Badkhshan, Afghanistan, FOV 2.5 in, natural light.JPG
    Phlogopite with Calcite, Badkhshan, Afghanistan, FOV 2.5 in, natural light.JPG
    141.8 KB · Views: 71
  • Phlogopite01 with Calcite, Badkhshan, Afghanistan, FOV 2.5 in, natural light.JPG
    Phlogopite01 with Calcite, Badkhshan, Afghanistan, FOV 2.5 in, natural light.JPG
    163.5 KB · Views: 70
  • Phlogopite01 with Calcite, Badkhshan, Afghanistan, FOV 2.5 in, SWUV 254nm.JPG
    Phlogopite01 with Calcite, Badkhshan, Afghanistan, FOV 2.5 in, SWUV 254nm.JPG
    54.3 KB · Views: 67
Last edited:
Now to some scapolite specimens!

KT has received some scapolite specimens and has these photographs to show you, but since there are several examples and too many photos for a single post in the Forum, His Majesty will present a series of posts. Technically, it is the Scapolite Group, with marialite on the Calcium end of the spectrum and melonlite on the Sodium, and opposite, end. Complete variation between these two end members occur, so for the ease of discussion, KT just calls it all scapolite. :laughing:

There are many of these specimens now being produced in both Afghanistan and Pakistan presently.

What KT has for your viewing here, is first a 2" sphere with spots of Scapolite embedded in the host rock. This is from Pakistan. The first picture is in natural light and the second in SW254nm light.

The second set of pictures show a 54 gram crystal of yellow scapolite, first in reflected light, then transmitted light and then fluorescing in SW254nm.

Enjoy!

Attachments

• Scapolite, Marialite, in Ferro-hornblende, Andhra Pradesh, India, 2 in. sphere, natural light .JPG
    Scapolite, Marialite, in Ferro-hornblende, Andhra Pradesh, India, 2 in. sphere, natural light .JPG
    142.5 KB · Views: 63
  • Scapolite, Marialite, in Ferro-hornblende, Andhra Pradesh, India, 2 in. sphere, SW254nm .JPG
    Scapolite, Marialite, in Ferro-hornblende, Andhra Pradesh, India, 2 in. sphere, SW254nm .JPG
    30.7 KB · Views: 58
  • Scapolite, Badakhshan, Afghanistan, FOV=2 in., natural reflected light.JPG
    Scapolite, Badakhshan, Afghanistan, FOV=2 in., natural reflected light.JPG
    126.8 KB · Views: 59
  • Scapolite, Badakhshan, Afghanistan, FOV=2 in., natural transmitted  light.JPG
    Scapolite, Badakhshan, Afghanistan, FOV=2 in., natural transmitted light.JPG
    113.7 KB · Views: 56
  • Scapolite, Badakhshan, Afghanistan, FOV=2 in., SWUV 254nm.JPG
    Scapolite, Badakhshan, Afghanistan, FOV=2 in., SWUV 254nm.JPG
    76.8 KB · Views: 48
Back
Top Bottom