• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

My First (good) Find

Blaze312

This past weekend was one I had been waiting for since I received my metal detector.

My parents own a business in Michigan that is in a very old building. It was built in 1835 actually.

When we first arived it was raining so my girlfriend wasn't interested in going out for some treasure seeking. We decided to wait for the next day. Saturday we went out after we got up. We started next to an old fence. I have found that because my metal detector doesn't give you an accurate assessment of what it is finding its best to just dig up everything. This proves to be a pain next to and old fence as nails like to pop out after a hundred years. Anyways the first couple of things we pulled out of the ground were nails and misc. garbage. We continue scanning and eventually the scanner said 's-cap' as we have been digging up everything this was no exception.

I pulled out a penny. Finally the first bit of coinage of the day. To my suprise, when I looked at it I didn't see lincoln. I was so happy. Our first Indian Head. Nothing suprisingly old, just an 1899. Still worthy of jumping up and down a little bit. My parents were very happy as well(except for all the holes in their yard that is :D. i am getting better at replacing them though).

We kept scanning and about 3 feet to the right we also picked up a reading. This time it jumped around a little, but for the most part indicated Quarter. As we dug we got about a foot and a half down and hadn't found it. At this point I had decided it definatly wasn't a coin, but decided to keep digging. Eventually we hit metal. At first glance we thought it was some sort of box. It was hollow. I was able to grab hold of an edge and pull it up. It was huge, but then I soon realized what it was. It was a sewer lid, but much thinner. Apparently I had found the sepetic tank from 100 or so years ago. Of course they never bothered to fill it in, just left it. Fortunatly for us it was all dried up and didn't smell at all. My first thought was that we had found an old wishing well, until i saw a pipe coming into it from the side.

I guess you win some, and you lose some. The only other interesting finds were 11 pennies, a nickel, a zippo, and some other interesting looking peice of metal. I will soon be posting pictures of these finds. Hopefully someone can help me ID the interesting peice of whatever it is.

WTG Blaze !!...that Injun sure beats the Barbasol can, don't it ? After you've been doing this a while you'll appreciate what a rare find the I.H. is...I've found well over 15,000 coins including enough silver to fill 1/2 a bank bag and have one I.H...an 1899.. HH Roadrunner

Mighty good detecting there Blaze. You got the right idea. Beep--dig. Congrats on breaking into the 19th century. I love IH's too. I only wish there was some way to restore them.

Good Huntin
Kevin M.

Back
Top Bottom