• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

First trip to school

fastforty

My daughter & I finally got up early enough to go to her school before it got too hot. We were met with enthusiastic support & permission to do as we pleased, so out we went. The sand boxes all had a fresh 3 foot tall pile of sand dumped into them, almost completely covering the preexisting sand :( So off to the woodchip areas we went.

We spent an hour & a half and recovered 45 targets. One target recovered every 2 minutes was very nice, as it has been taking us 10-20 minutes to dig single targets in the packed dirt at home (about the best we have done at home is 4 or 5 targets an hour). Our "finds" at home consist of two pennies & a buncha rusty nails, nuts, bolts & similar trash. At school this morning, we recovered 5 quarters, 10 dimes, 4 nickles, 7 pennies, one two-tone gold/silver sharks head ring, a zipper pull, a Levi's button, a wire bracelet & a buncha foil.

Got back home (7 mile country drive) at 10am & it was 100 degrees already. We covered maybe 1/3 of each of the two large chiplots, & still have swings & bars & other apparatus elsewhere, as well as the tetherball courts & several other high frequency areas to search. This is an old school (founded in 1865), & it was verified that nobody has had a metal detector there before (at least in the last thirty years, since alarms & motion detectors have been installed.

Attachments

• 100_1675e.JPG
    100_1675e.JPG
    21.8 KB · Views: 200
Looks like you didn't do too bad at all.

The first day that I had my detector my girlfriend and I took it to an elementary school.

We found a few random peices of trash, and a barbasol(shaving cream can) about a foot and a half down.

Good to know that my detector will pick up larger objects that far down... Not so good that we spent an hour and didn't find anything but mosquito bites.

God, getting all those pieces of foil really s_cks! Nice job for a school though!

For no longer than you were there, you did pretty good. I would get back there and finish off the whole thing ASAP! :yes:

Those school yards are hard to beat for finding a bunch of coins...especially if they haven't been hunted in a while...if it's in town and has swings & monkey bars used by the neighborhood kids you'll probably find that it gets " restocked " fairly often ...good luck on the rest of it .. Roadrunner

Nice going. The way you are digging up the foil tells me that you'll soon have
a gold ring/medal in your treasure pouch!

Hope so :)

I'm not passing anything up, I dug one dime that was 8"-9" deep (funny, the display said "Dime at 8 inches +" go figure). I did get a few more signals like that just before we left, but it was getting hot & I just wanted one or two more easy pickin's so I passed them up, for the time being. I WILL get back to them.

I'm searching in Relics mode, so not really sure how many iron targets I've passed over, & not concerned either. Wish I had a sniper coil, as I can only get within a foot of the bases of the playground equipment before the beeper starts going bizerk (even after dropping the sensitivity). I found a lot of coins at the bottom of the slide & underneath the apparatus where kids can hang upside down, but they are relatively new units & seem to have a LOT of underground footing :(

What Rudy said about the foil is true. Dig that and the gold will come - if it's there. If the school is as you say, I would detect every inch of it, digging about 80 % of the signals.
Good luck, Steve in so az

We finally got back to the school again. Gathered up $2.30 in clad (including a Susan B. Anthony dollar :grin: ), bringing the total to $4.82, three WWJD rings & a Spiderman button. Pretty much cleaned out the woodchip areas, will have to go back to them when I get a sniper coil to get closer to the jungle gyms. Sad thing is, they dumped 6"-8" of new chips on these areas 1 or 2 years ago, so everything within reach is pretty new (I did dig a dime out of the old layer last time though, 8" deep).

After finishing the woodchip areas, we headed over to the garden area, where each grade level has their own raised bed garden (hey, loose dirt & you don't have to stoop so far to get to it). Started on the 6th grade garden, nothing. On to the 5th, 4th, 3rd, 2nd & 1st grade plots, nothing. Then the big surprise, the Kindergarten plot had probably 100 pennies in it! I dug a few to verify the signals I was getting, yup, full of pennies. Dunno what that means, maybe the Kinder teacher has them plant a penny with their sunflower seed for good luck?

I got quite a few promising signals in a small section of the lawn area, but didn't have the heart to dig any of them; hasn't been a kid on it for almost 3 months & it looks pretty pristine. Some day though.

Attachments

• 100_2313e.JPG
    100_2313e.JPG
    43 KB · Views: 114
Back
Top Bottom