Haulover BeachLost Ring and cross and chain.

T

turtleguy

Lost Ring and cross and chain. Hello Everyone, My friend and I are in urgent need of your assistance. She has lost a chain with very sentimental jewelry on it at Haulover Beach in Miami, Fl. on Aug. 2, 2009 around high tide 7pm between lifegaurd stations 12 - 14 unfortunately we ca not pin point the exact location the chain broke. Attached to the chain were a diamond cross and a diamond cluster ring which were most likely separated when the chain broke. Please feel free to contact Akima at 954-856-9415 , I will also be monitoring this site for posts, you can email me at [email protected].

I'm a new member here and thought I would post what I've found (so far) regarding this womans lost items. This is an email I'd sent to my relatives describing my find, so please bear with the context.

A couple of weeks ago I was snorkeling and found the silver ring pictured. It's "Mexican" silver - 92.5% pure & only worth about 5 bucks as scrap. So I put an ad on Craiglist "lost & found" and received a reply from someone who had saw an ad placed on this forum by someone else who had lost a gold chain, ring and pendant. I went to this site and found that the jewelry they had lost did not match the ring that I found. But they did leave a location where they had lost their items: It was at the same beach I go to, Haulover Park.

On Labor Day I went there (5 weeks after the womans items were lost) & after a while I started scouring the beach area in question. I should point out that I don't own a metal detector and didn't have one with me on this particular day. Some people who saw me poking through the piles of seaweed asked if I was looking for the "lost jewelry" and I said yes! They told me that the people who had lost it had hired a guy with a metal detector and that they had swept the entire area, including the water and that I was unlikely to find anything. But I kept looking anyway and after walking the beach I started walking the shallow water area. Now, bear in mind the area in question was 1000 feet long by 200 feet wide & part of it was underwater. But as luck would have it, while walking the shallows I saw a faint, glimmering outline of a gold necklace laying on the sand bottom under the water. I was right where the small waves were breaking, so I could only see it when the water receded. Three times I grabbed for it and only came up with handfulls of sand. Unfortunatly I had left my mask and snorkel by my blanket or I would have been able to stick my head under and find it in a second. And since I was up to my waist in water & I knew the necklace was right between my feet, I dared not move from that spot, lest it be lost forever! After about 20 minutes of this the water receded enough between waves where I spotted it for the fourth time. I plunged my arm under again and came up with yet another handfull of wet sand...but as it oozed out between my fingers a slender, tantilizing trail of gold appeared from the stream of wet sand, elusive, trying to escape, untill it's full, glistening 20" length was dangleing from my hand. I held it up to the sun and admired it's glittering, unmistakable color and weight: Gold. With nothing more than my eye's, hands and a bit of luck I'd found Gold!

The chain was 14K & weighed 19.63 grams, so it's scrap value was about $367.00 (at that time). I contacted the woman who originated this lost & found thread and she described the chain perfectly. We agreed to meet and she brought photo's of the chain that looked exactly like the one I'd found. So, since I had found it in the location she had specified, she was able to describe it & had accurate photo's of it, I decided it must be hers and gave it back to her. She was quite happy to say the least.

Yesterday I went back to the area with an Ace 250 I rented and swept the area at low tide: Nothing. I snorkeled the shallow area near the beach a dozen times and also found nothing. It's likely that the area where I found the chain is still underwater at low tide, so I may not have swept that area & the rest of her items may still be there, just under the sand/water & out of plain sight. I'm not really sure though, it is hard to calculate the distance from the dry beach to the water area where I found the chain, what with the changing of the tides and the lack of reference points. But I did have the presence of mind to note reference points as far as which section of the beach I found the chain in. I've got that narrowed down to about a 100' wide area.

If any of the members here live close enough to the Miami/Fort Lauderdale area, have access to an underwater detector and/or would like to help me recover this womans last 2 items please give me a call at 860-303-4766.

Attachments

• IMG_2153a.jpg
    IMG_2153a.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 380
  • IMG_2156a.jpg
    IMG_2156a.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 389
That's awesome, I'm glad I was able to help you unite the necklace with the owner, good luck finding the rest! I would help find it, but I don't have an underwater machine yet, only the ace 250.

I spent a few hours with my "new" Minelab Sovereign GT today. I swept the beach area where I found the gold chain 3 weeks ago in hopes of finding the rest of that womans lost jewelry, but no luck. I even went in the water up to about 4' deep and all I found was a peice of aluminum scrap. Her stuff might still be there, but it seems likely that someone else found it or it was lost in a different spot than the necklace.

Awesome, congrats on the new machine! I'm curious, were you into metal detecting before your attempted ring return? if not, it seems like you picked up a new hobby:lol: if you ever want to get together to hunt somewhere, just let me know! im always on the lookout for a hunting buddy! GL with the new Minelab... Im trying to save up for the Excal im only about half way there!

I owned a metal detector for a while when I was 10 or so, but have not owned one since then (until now). Finding that womans gold chain and reading all the stuff here kind of inspired me to buy the used Minelab Sovereign Gt.

I might take you up on the hunting thing, although I'm not sure when (I work a lot of hours). Thanks for the offer.

Back
Top Bottom