Sometimes the treasure isn't in the finds!

SalemScott

Forum Supporter
Well, if you came to see silvers or colonials this isn't the thread for you.:laughing: I went out for a solo jaunt in the woods and came up pretty much empty handed....ouch. I did have a fun interaction with a family of turkeys, which I didn't know stayed together as a unit. I first noticed the male chillin' in the shade of a small bush next to a field. I turned on the camera and started working my way in a circle around him, giving him a distance so to not scare him away. As I'm taking pics of him I go to climb a small dirt pile for a better vantage point and almost tripped on the female. She jumped up and nervously started walking in a small circle. I then realized the reason for her behavior....a small group of baby turkeys. They were adorable! Not wanting to disturb this family any further (and not wanting to get attacked!), I immediately backed away from them and went on my way, which now involved walking an extra 10 minutes to give the turkeys a wide berth. For those not familiar with wild turkeys, they can be quite territorial, I assume even more so with babies involved. I spent the rest of the day searching and searching only to find 2 wheats. Let's hope tomorrow brings some good coin finds.

BTW, the pic of the mushroom next to the pine cone...that mushroom is maybe 1/16"....it was the tiniest mushroom I've ever seen so I figured why not take a pic.:yes:

P6080021.JPG

P6070003.JPG

P6070007.JPG

P6070008.JPG

P6070009.JPG

P6080018.JPG

P6080019.JPG

P6080022.JPG

You know I have always been an outdoor guy. I enjoy camping, fishing, and hunting. But what I realized was that I just enjoyed being out in nature. I have just recently got in to MDing but I have realized that it really is like fishing and it does seem to bring me peace. I am off work next week and I plan on heading out to some areas I have been scoping out. It would be nice to find some gold and silver, but I will take the pull tabs and trash (just like I would like to reel in a big fish but I will take a small one just for the action). I will just enjoy the hunt. It isn't about what I kill or what I hunt, it is just that I hunt. And I think that metal detecting will fill this need.
So I totally understand the coolness of just seeing something out in the wild. For me metal detecting is not about getting rich. It is just being outside with nature. And if I get some good cache then that is just gravy.

nice walk in the woods today Scott. saw some wildlife, some toadstools, swung the tecter. it was just tough luck that limited you to 2 wheats. but those could have easily been 2 mercs, or better. ya just never know.

you actually found more than i did for saturday lol. i only hunted 2 hours at a pounded (by me) spot close to home.nothing but junk and ONE memorial penny lol, then i spent the rest of the day cutting up kitchen cabinets to install a double oven for the wife. but today is another story ..i'm hunting all day!

best of luck today Scott. hope you get the goods. and good luck to everyone else that reads this

Love the pictures. The wife and I with the three dogs on the four wheeler were checking the farm today seen some turkeys and deer never had my camera with me. Seems like every time I do not take a camera always see something good.

Thanks for the kind words everybody. It was a fun little experience seeing baby turkies which I've never had the opportunity to see before. I was hoping for a better day of finds today but............ugh. I'm on a drought and it sucks. I'll be posting today's 'finds' soon....keep an eye out for the post.:roll::roll:

Nice photos!

I often see stuff like this when out fishing. Saw a female snapping turtle laying eggs in the side of a sandy river bank today.

Great pics, Scott. Looks like a beautiful area. A pair of Wheaties beats what I got today- a piece of cast aluminum breakage and a little ball o' foil :(

OK...It is inevitable...Someone has to ask so I will go ahead and do it...What did the turkeys ring up as?:laughing:Sorry.:laughing:

Back
Top Bottom