what do you do with your treasure finds

DemonATPro

I could not find anything on this using the search option. If there is something like this my appologies. I am new to md'ing and wonder what other people do with rare coins or pieces of rare historical items. sell them? donate? hold on to them?

I have not been doing this for very long, but I have a silver pile and gold pile (ok only 1 gold ring). and plan on selling it. I have only found one silver coin and I keep that seperate.

well silver coins you can sell on here, people will snatch them up quickly at the right prices.

OR

You can sell your silver and gold as MELT straight to the refinery. www.aragold.com ...
They pay you 98% on gold and 90% on silver :)

Many of us have used them before with great results!

I haven't found a silver coin yet but have found 1 silver ring and 1 silver spoon (well, just the handle). I don't plan on selling either. I wouldn't sell any valuable items I find unless they are worth a LOT of money, like over a grand. Then the money may be too much not to sell. Unless of course my personal financial situation is much improved over it's current state. If I don't need the money I would definately keep everything.

My wife is sporting a few new rings, only had to get one sized.

I did buy some jewelry buffing/polishing wheels off ebay for my dremel tool to make these new finds look like new too.

Coins I just keep, I like old coins.

Well i know if i find wheat pennies id give them to my dad.hes been collecting them for over 35 years. When i get them in my change they always go to him. I am not sure why he decided to collect them but its just been a life long thing.

I would still have a lot of silver coins I found and wheat pennies had they not taken off when I left them with my oldest daughter in charge of them. Detecting since 1973 off and on I had me a nice little collection and I am working back up there. I learned my kids all adults don't share a interest in old coins so if I ever get tired of it I will learn what the value is of my coins and just sell them for my own personal use. My youngest has what coins survived someone taking my detecting equipment at my sister's , she kept my coin book in her safe my dad owned. So I have like 2 or three indian head pennies there one a 1866 found about 1988 or so and a 1907 my son found coming out of the elementary school he was going to about the same time , just laying on the ground. the rest in the book are Wheaties. Hope my 1912 I started my collection with is there.
M6 Mike
Will sell all someday but not today.

Well i know if i find wheat pennies id give them to my dad.hes been collecting them for over 35 years. When i get them in my change they always go to him. I am not sure why he decided to collect them but its just been a life long thing.

Reason I did as a kid was I found the 1912 in change from buying candy. Told my aunt ,"wow this is a old coin I'm keeping it . She said you'll spend it , it will burn a hole in your pocket and you'll go buy some candy. That helped me to keep it all these years. I am thinking back about 1955 to 1959 was when I found it . Say 1960 I had that coin if it is in the book I give to my youngest daughter , I had it at least 52 years. Anyone else have a coin in their family they collected from change that long?
M6 Mike

I have kept all of my better stuff and make displays for our club's open house. I also give seminar's at our local detector dealer and use them for show and tell.

Well since I started detecting, I have dug 529 silver coins, and I have not sold a single one, and wont either, I am leaving them all for my son when I am gone. They are much too hard to find to just sell.

I' keeping 2 each of every coin I find (i.e. Mercs, 2 Barber Dimes, etc.). 1 each for my sons. The rest get sold because I'm poor as dirt.

I had never sold a thing until recently. I started taking clad in by the bucket a month or so ago.

I'm thinking of keeping a bunch of the junk kids rings I find in my pouch and giving them to the little girls who always swim up to me and ask me what I'm doing.

Just the charming well mannered ones though, I have had a couple psychotic little brats try to grab my MD right out of my hands.

I sell everything when i think its right and buy other stuff to collect, thats why i have like a dozen collections of stuff, they are like desert sand, always shifting about, selling baseball cards to buy silver, selling silver to buy gold, selling gold to but coins, selling coins to buy crockery, selling crockery to buy cameos...its all like that.

The second i feel like i have a deal on something ill sell other stuff to buy it which is the best way to get stuff...id not sell things for the money, if i needed the money id have never bought the stuff to nbegin with...as for leaving it for my kids, not a chance....i write bumper stickers and one is

"Paying for your education was a priveledge...but spending your inheirtance was a riot!"

oh yeah, clad I cash in once a month and match the total with money from my paycheck. So if I find $5 with my MD, I put $10 into an account that will one day buy my family our dream house

course at the rate I'm going that dream house will be a one bedroom in Florida =/

I have a couple historic finds in 2 different local museums & I sold a wheat penny I found to pay for my At-Pro, everything else I pretty much keep ...

Wow Lightening a wheat penny to buy the At that must have been a good one! What key year was it? :?:

Back
Top Bottom